+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Freddy Garcia performance thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Really? My wish would be that they figure out he has a small injury and he comes back throwing harder and crisper than last year as he did in ST. That sure would be a better development for the Yankees than having to release him.

Garcia did not have a good year last year with smoke and mirrors. He won with a fine splitter and several MPH more on his fast ball and very good command. He has not that old; something is probably wrong physically or in his mechanics.

But I certainly agree they can't send him out there again for another start without figuring out the problem first. IF they can't figure it out, they will unfortunately have to eat the contract. Phelps has earned a chance to start.
    Yea, I think the Yankees are going to run some tests and try to find any possible reason to put him on the DL. This way they can give him some rest and then see if he can get his velocity back up to normal. The Yankees know that they'll likely have a need for another starter at some point later in the year, so they don't want to dump Freddy but they obviously can't send him out there again with the way he is currently pitching.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

According to some of the comparisons I've seen, his velocity is comparable to last year. He just seems to have absolutely nothing on his pitches.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Whatever happened to the old adage that good pitching stops good hitting? It's getting tiresome to have to tip your cap to every single lineup Freddy faces these days. As far as Freddy having "showed a lot today", the only thing he showed a lot of was fat pitches and an inability to get out of the second inning. The only way he'll mow anything down in his next start is if they move him to the grounds crew and put him on the lawn tractor. The sad fact is that Freddy is just a placeholder in a rotation that is very quickly going to need a body that can actually get major league hitters out.
    I agree with everything you said. However, I must point out to you and others that my posted "Girardi post-game comments" are complete fabrications intended to parody our manager's tendency to put an insultingly positive spin on crappy performance and results.

2008: 89.6
    2009: 88.3
    2010: 87.6
    2011: 86.9
    2012: 86.2

he's not going to find his velo back. he's been losing it over time and he's only lost the "small" amount this season that was to be realistically expected, based on his recent path.

the pixie dust has just run out and the jig is all but certainly up.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    I agree with everything you said. However, I must point out to you and others that my posted "Girardi post-game comments" are complete fabrications intended to parody our manager's tendency to put an insultingly positive spin on crappy performance and results.
    Nice job of parodying. With all the sugar coating that sometimes goes on with the press, it's hard to tell the difference.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    2008: 89.6
    2009: 88.3
    2010: 87.6
    2011: 86.9
    2012: 86.2

he's not going to find his velo back. he's been losing it over time and he's only lost the "small" amount this season that was to be realistically expected, based on his recent path.

the pixie dust has just run out and the jig is all but certainly up.
    Wow, that's freaky how linear that trend is. Unfortunately for us, it's going down.

NYYF Legend

Garcia looks like toast. Damn.
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

per LOHUD - Garcia to bullpen, no DL, no DFA

Garcia sent to bullpen

Freddy Garcia has been removed from the rotation and moved to the bullpen. Hes not going on the DL, and the Yankees still have not announced a move to add D.J. Mitchell. My guess is that Cody Eppley will be optioned.
    Also no official word on who will take Garcias spot in the rotation, but Joe Girardi acknowledged earlier today that David Phelps is the most obvious candidate.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Joe says: "We might have Larry work with him."

um, I'd like to think that was already happening.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Will his stuff play better out of the pen?

Don't think so

The pen has been a strength

Just DL him- this move makes no sense
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    If he skips a start or two, do you really think he's coming back to a job (short of an injury)?
    I would hope not, but Phil has been pretty bad also, and we need a #5 when AP returns. Girardi sounded genuinely mystified, as he's been sooooooooo bad after having a very good ST where the velo was even up from last yr.

So maybe it's a long shot, but i'd say they'll give him some time to get it together, and if he can't for whatever reason, it's likely adios muchacho !!

NYYF Legend

It's time to put Fred out to pasture.
    The 4 mil is the only thing holding this up. Why is management like this?
    Give him his money and a chance to sign with another team, like Boston or Tampa hopefully.

Management is "like this" because they are running a business. It would be bad business to cut ties with Garcia before making every effort to see whether some value can be salvaged. Pitchers, for injury and mechanical reasons, go through rough patches and come back. They can't keep starting Garcia the way he is pitching. But they can try to straighten the guy out for awhile.

All MLB clubs are businesses and they all operate in this fashion. Fans of all clubs are much quicker to shout DFA because the fans can shout a few weeks later for the owners to spend more money on some new player (e.g. Oswalt).

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Will his stuff play better out of the pen?

Don't think so

The pen has been a strength

Just DL him- this move makes no sense
    There has to be something wrong with him. How else do you explain the loss of velocity from ST to the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    There has to be something wrong with him. How else do you explain the loss of velocity from ST to the start of the season.
    Could very well be, but having him in the pen won't help

If they suspect physical issues, then DL him and do a thorough workup- don't waste a pen spot on him

Phelps can do 1 fill in spot and then Andy should be ready ( and then Phelps can move on to fill in for Hughes who would fit well in the pen

Freddy is a total gas can. They are putting him in the pen, but he shouldn't see the mound unless we are up or down by at least 10 runs. Unfortunately, gas cans have no trade value at all.

NYYF Legend

I agree with all those who are against putting him in the pen, but what else are you going to do at this point? It looks like the only alternative is the DL. I honestly don't think there is anything physically wrong with him, but it would buy some time to figure out what to do next. Right now, it would almost be a relief if they do find he's injured.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I agree with all those who are against putting him in the pen, but what else are you going to do at this point? It looks like the only alternative is the DL. I honestly don't think there is anything physically wrong with him, but it would buy some time to figure out what to do next. Right now, it would almost be a relief if they do find he's injured.
    And that's the thing, if there's nothing physically wrong with him they can't DL him. (Though I'm sure if they really wanted to they could invent something). And the only way he enters the game is if there is a 10 run margin. I'm not sure what or if will be salvaged from him.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    And that's the thing, if there's nothing physically wrong with him they can't DL him. (Though I'm sure if they really wanted to they could invent something). And the only way he enters the game is if there is a 10 run margin. I'm not sure what or if will be salvaged from him.
    Maybe they should order him to have a physical, as George Steinbrenner did with Doyle Alexander:

"I'm afraid some of my players might get hurt playing behind him," Steinbrenner said in the statement. "Obviously, something is wrong and we intend to find out."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

With Swisher not able to play, it makes it all the more questionable as to why they didn't DL Freddy. He's taking up a roster spot that could be used for another Ofer

NYYF Cy Young

I'd actually say leave him in the pen for now until we get a better long man. Without Garcia, if we have a starter go 1 or 2 giving up 5 or 6 runs (someone other than Garcia now), who would be the longman to go 5 or 6? It would have been Phelps, but with him now in the rotation, we need to hold on to Garcia.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    With Swisher not able to play, it makes it all the more questionable as to why they didn't DL Freddy. He's taking up a roster spot that could be used for another Ofer
    Yep. I mentioned this in another thread. We literally have no bench now that Swisher is out for a few games and with Gardner still on the DL.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    I'd actually say leave him in the pen for now until we get a better long man. Without Garcia, if we have a starter go 1 or 2 giving up 5 or 6 runs (someone other than Garcia now), who would be the longman to go 5 or 6? It would have been Phelps, but with him now in the rotation, we need to hold on to Garcia.
    If Garcia could go 5 or 6, he wouldn't be in the pen.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    If Garcia could go 5 or 6, he wouldn't be in the pen.
    Yeah but if we need a long reliever in the 2nd or 3rd inning, we're gonna be down by a lot anyway- I'd rather give up 15 runs and not waste every reliever in the pen than give up 9 and not have anyone for the next day.

I'm not saying we should keep him long term - but until we get someone better to take the spot (that shouldn't be too hard), he'll probably stay there.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    Yeah but if we need a long reliever in the 2nd or 3rd inning, we're gonna be down by a lot anyway- I'd rather give up 15 runs and not waste every reliever in the pen than give up 9 and not have anyone for the next day.

I'm not saying we should keep him long term - but until we get someone better to take the spot (that shouldn't be too hard), he'll probably stay there.
    No, literally- I don't think he can go 6 innings unless you want to pitch him to the point of injury. He'd be at 100 pitches after 3 or 4 innings.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Thread Information