+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Rafael Soriano Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    This would suck. We overpaid the guy, but enough with the No Trade Clauses and the opt outs.

The guy has shown he can pitch in NY, Mo is a huge question mark. I want no part of Robertson closing, and I really like the kid.

Now we likely have to increase the overpay for Sori, or pay mpre for a different closer. I don't blame Sori in the least, but going forward, when Yanks are high bidder, they need to say piss off on the opt outs and NTC's....
    If he opts out let I say let him go.

I think Robertson will be fine in that role if Mo is out.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

I actually wouldn't mind if he opted out. D-Rob is a much better pitcher.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

I love Robertson, but he has five career saves. Also, if Sori opts out, you lose Robertson in the 8th.

7th with say Joba/Logan, etc, Robertson 8th, and Sori 9th is a LOT better than ...

Whoemver in 7th, Joba/Logan 8th, Robertson 9th.

Just because we have two potential closers, does not mean we should want to see one opt and leave...
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

I'd much prefer retaining him. Montgomery/Robertson/Soriano/Mo and a healthy/non-crappy Joba would be a lethal bullpen. yea, I threw Montgomery in there, just because guys like that are fairly easy to project as relievers.

NYYF Legend

Rafael signed with the Yankees originally because he could not get a large free-agent contract after 45 saves with the Rays. If he opts out the same thing could happen and then the Yankees might be able to resign him for less money.

After he did everything we asked him to and more?

He's getting his closer job and money.

dont mess with the jesus dont_ya_know24's Avatar

after reading that great article, i want this man to be paid. whether that be for the yankees, red sox or tigers.
    he's not in it for himself, the money is for his family.
    great story.
    I really thought I played great defense when the ball wasn't hit at me, Alex Rodriguez said.

Devoted Member

He'd be nuts to walk away from 1 year $14 mil. I'm sure the Yanks would be delighted.
    Plays the game the wrong way.

HOpefully he opts out. That 14 mil can be better spent somewhere else.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

He's be opting out of 12.5/1 since he gets a 1.5m buyout if he opts out.

He can do better than that.

Papelbon is probably closest comp and he got 50/4 with a rather easy 13m vesting option for 5th year.

1 or 2 years fewer probably but the AAV will be comparable.

NYYF MVP

Generally against resigning opt outs. Take the peak years and walk away from the expensive veteran who is at least one year older. There is a right price to sign anyone but if his price is going to get bid way up I hope the Yankees look to use the resources elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post
    He's be opting out of 12.5/1 since he gets a 1.5m buyout if he opts out.

He can do better than that.

Papelbon is probably closest comp and he got 50/4 with a rather easy 13m vesting option for 5th year.

1 or 2 years fewer probably but the AAV will be comparable.
    And do you think Philly will be happy with that contract?

The Rays have done well w/ avoiding overpaying for a closer year after year and they have done quite well in that regard

He was an overpay from the start and if he does opt out it'll be a gift for the Yanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    And do you think Philly will be happy with that contract?

The Rays have done well w/ avoiding overpaying for a closer year after year and they have done quite well in that regard

He was an overpay from the start and if he does opt out it'll be a gift for the Yanks
    Right or wrong, I bet the Yankees wouldn't be heart broken if he chooses not to opt out. Their financial focus in on '14, at which time Soriano money won't be an issue. 1/$12.5MM isn't going to make or break this team, but if Mo opts to retire or comes back as less than Mo, having Soriano is pretty important if this team wants to contend.

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79 View Post
    HOpefully he opts out. That 14 mil can be better spent somewhere else.
    yes please

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    thank you. 14 million dollar closers are unnecessary and a complete and utter waste of money. we can find good hitters for that cost, which we more likely need. bullpen relief is easily cobbled together for chump change.

edit: im actually surprised by the number of people here forgetting how ridiculous paying ANY closer that kind of money is. I'm only ok with Mo gettin that amount as part of a legacy and respect thing. these guys pitch 60 innings a year, out of about 1460 total.
    like delv, but better

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    14 million dollar closers are unnecessary and a complete and utter waste of money.
    Interesting. I was delighted to have Mo closing for the last several years. No idea he was a complete and utter waste of money...
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Interesting. I was delighted to have Mo closing for the last several years. No idea he was a complete and utter waste of money...

Mo is worth it but other than Mo who is? If Soriano opts out and Mo retires I'm sure the Yankees will find someone else to do the job. Maybe D Rob or Joba. I think most closers are over rated. Look at the Tigers. They benched their closer after game one and Coke did the job the rest of the series.

NYYF Legend

i can see the tigers getting him and letting the sideshow valverde walk
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

not even Mo is worth that kind of money, in terms of on-field value. like i said, some stuff about his legend status, sure. But 14mil for a the last three outs of less than half of the season's games? hell naw.
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by SatchelPaigeYankee View Post
    not even Mo is worth that kind of money, in terms of on-field value. like i said, some stuff about his legend status, sure. But 14mil for a the last three outs of less than half of the season's games? hell naw.
    I get where you're coming from, but I doubt you'll find too many people who care.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I get where you're coming from, but I doubt you'll find too many people who care.
    For Mo? Probably not. But if they really stick to $189 million, their current obligations may make an overpriced closer something that doesn't make sense anymore
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    For Mo? Probably not. But if they really stick to $189 million, their current obligations may make an overpriced closer something that doesn't make sense anymore
    They will probably offer Mo a 1 year deal which means the $189 million in 2014 would not be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    They will probably offer Mo a 1 year deal which means the $189 million in 2014 would not be affected.
    Yeah, I was thinking other than Mo in a post-Mo world, if that can be conceived
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF Legend

A year ago, everyone and their mother wanted Soriano to opt-out (and it seemed nearly impossible). A Mo injury and a career year later, and you have some that don't want him to opt-out.

I absolutely want him to opt-out.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    A year ago, everyone and their mother wanted Soriano to opt-out (and it seemed nearly impossible). A Mo injury and a career year later, and you have some that don't want him to opt-out.

I absolutely want him to opt-out.
    As recently as the ASG I didn't think there was chance he'd opt out. But if he can opt out and clear that payroll space to sign more pressing needs, by all means see ya!

And I loved what he did running with the closer job this year. I just don't want the Yanks spending ~$14M per on a closer if they really are going to keep payroll under $189M.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    As recently as the ASG I didn't think there was chance he'd opt out. But if he can opt out and clear that payroll space to sign more pressing needs, by all means see ya!

And I loved what he did running with the closer job this year. I just don't want the Yanks spending ~$14M per on a closer if they really are going to keep payroll under $189M.
    If his contract would be used to address something else, I'd be happy to see him go. But If they are fixated on 2014, I'm not sure how they'd actually spend that money in 2013 -- there are only so many Kuroda-like guys who are looking for a big one year deal. I guess we'll see what happens if he opts out.

Thread Information