+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Rafael Soriano Performance Thread

For some reason, when he comes into a game this year, I feel confident.
    Well- a lot more than last year anyway.
    I think he looks more comfortable and that translates to his getting hitters out.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    For some reason, when he comes into a game this year, I feel confident. Well- a lot more than last year anyway. I think he looks more comfortable and that translates to his getting hitters out.
    It's only been a couple of performance, but I tend to agree; Soriano is looking slightly better. The final K last night was right down the middle but it flew by the bat.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Not a brilliant performance.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Slop.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Not a brilliant performance signing.
    Fixed it for you.
    42 is the answer

Gets to see even more of AJ Burnett now!

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    It's only been a couple of performance, but I tend to agree; Soriano is looking slightly better. The final K last night was right down the middle but it flew by the bat.
    You are an idiot.

NYYF Legend

You are an idiot.
    I think you have to report yourself now.

NYYF Triple Crown

Which signing was worse, Soriano or Farnsworth?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    I'm going to say Soriano because it was completely unnecessary. When we signed Farnsworth we were absolutely desperate for a set up man and sadly, he was the best available at the time. There was literally no reason to sign Soriano, especially at that ridiculous cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I think you have to report yourself now.

Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I'm going to say Soriano because it was completely unnecessary. When we signed Farnsworth we were absolutely desperate for a set up man and sadly, he was the best available at the time. There was literally no reason to sign Soriano, especially at that ridiculous cost.
    Perfectly said. We had a really good, cheap bullpen with plenty of options. Our GM didn't want him. No one wanted him. That year's draft was strong and deep. He'd had injury concerns in the past. He'd been a little bit of a diva at times. Oh, and that contract. ****ing Randy Levine

NYYF MVP

He hasn't been good by his own standards, still we've seen enough of him to know that he hasn't done well with large leads. It's the walks that hurt him, still the last time I checked he hasn't lost a game for us, and that's with a split fingernail on his pitching hand!

Francesa is actually bringing up a good point today.

Maybe Brian should consider spinning Soriano to San Fran and put Hughes back in that 7th inning spot. He WAS dominant there and has been inconsistent at best as a starter the past couple of years. Plus we have Andy, Pineda, and what seems like a fruitful tree of solid pitching prospects in the pipeline. And, frankly, Soriano seems like dead weight at times.

I think this could net us some talent, unload some money and shuffle the roster to its most advantageous position.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieTinoTex View Post
    Francesa is actually bringing up a good point today.

Maybe Brian should consider spinning Soriano to San Fran and put Hughes back in that 7th inning spot. He WAS dominant there and has been inconsistent at best as a starter the past couple of years. Plus we have Andy, Pineda, and what seems like a fruitful tree of solid pitching prospects in the pipeline. And, frankly, Soriano seems like dead weight at times.

I think this could net us some talent, unload some money and shuffle the roster to its most advantageous position.

Thoughts?
    It makes sense on paper.
    But SF has to be willing to take on the money that comes along with the player.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    It makes sense on paper.
    But SF has to be willing to take on the money that comes along with the player.
    Agree -- it's a bad contract, with an opt-out. I don't think you'd get much back from a player perspective if they eat the contract.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Agree -- it's a bad contract, with an opt-out. I don't think you'd get much back from a player perspective if they eat the contract.
    Definitely a bad contact, but they're a team that needs a fortified closing option. Their candidates are better suited for the set up roles they were in before Wilson got hurt. I've read this from Giants' coverage over the past few days.

Also, San Fran does have the money to make a move if it helps them, and I don't think the talent in return would have to be that high- just something of value. But yes, the money is certainly an issue.

While I wouldn't start the negotiations with this, if I were Cashman, I'd be happy just to give him away from basically nothing. He could use that money for something of actual worth. Carlos Pena would have been an option without Soriano not that I'm a big fan of his either. If they got a c prospect back but didn't pay another cent of that deal, it would be a huge win. Paying him $11m this year and $14m next year is a ridiculous waste of money.

While I wouldn't start the negotiations with this, if I were Cashman, I'd be happy just to give him away from basically nothing. He could use that money for something of actual worth. Carlos Pena would have been an option without Soriano not that I'm a big fan of his either. If they got a c prospect back but didn't pay another cent of that deal, it would be a huge win. Paying him $11m this year and $14m next year is a ridiculous waste of money.
    Oh - way!
    I'd like to see the Yankees look for an outfield prospect in return, if they were going to make a trade..

NYYF MVP

I'm saying to be careful what you ask for, because you just might get what you want.. I believe that every ones forgetting that he's pitching with a split nail, also he's nothing to look at and some of you don't like his face.

You guys worry about the money too much, George is dead and his sons aren't looking to spend anymore.. Even if they dump his contract, they're not buying anyone else unless they find a pitcher in the 1 or 2 million dollar range. Also you could forget about any American talent, that's why there are so many passionate Met fans, more Americans.

What's the point every time I say something most of you look to differ, many of you know each other by name. I tried showing you just how truthful I am, by putting my real face out there, and speaking from my heart. Do you realize that I feel like not one person likes me? In the game day thread I see that some of you are women, it's a shame that after more then a year I couldn't tell you who... I constantly get buried for bringing up players emotions, and feelings because players are also more then numbers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    I'm saying to be careful what you ask for, because you just might get what you want.. I believe that every ones forgetting that he's pitching with a split nail, also he's nothing to look at and some of you don't like his face.

You guys worry about the money too much, George is dead and his sons aren't looking to spend anymore.. Even if they dump his contract, they're not buying anyone else unless they find a pitcher in the 1 or 2 million dollar range. Also you could forget about any American talent, that's why there are so many passionate Met fans, more Americans.
    What are we clinging to? The guy has been a shell of his former self since the Yankees signed him. The idea being floated is to move Hughes to the bullpen and ship Soriano to the Giants. Not saying I necessarily endorse that plan but it's a legitimate proposition given the injury to Wilson and our potential excess of starting pitchers. In this scenario there would be no need to "buy" anyone after Soriano is gone but it might create some payroll flexibility should we need to acquire someone at the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    What are we clinging to? The guy has been a shell of his former self since the Yankees signed him. The idea being floated is to move Hughes to the bullpen and ship Soriano to the Giants. Not saying I necessarily endorse that plan but it's a legitimate proposition given the injury to Wilson and our potential excess of starting pitchers. In this scenario there would be no need to "buy" anyone after Soriano is gone but it might create some payroll flexibility should we need to acquire someone at the trade deadline.
    Get it done, I think its a no brainer to trade Soriano to SF.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    All I could say is if Mo or Robertson goes down for any length of time, we would regret not keeping him for insurance of just that. Lets keep in mind that Mo is getting on in years, an if he goes down then what??

NYYF Legend

Robertson closes and Phil Hughes will be the 8th inning guy.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Well I'm not sure the giants sign on for that, in fact I'd be shocked if they they wanted to pick up that kind of coin for a closer, but if the Yanks could move his fianacial commitment to SF, more power the Brian Cashman.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Well I'm not sure the giants sign on for that, in fact I'd be shocked if they they wanted to pick up that kind of coin for a closer, but if the Yanks could move his fianacial commitment to SF, more power the Brian Cashman.
    I'm dubious about this as well. And I think the Yankees might opt for the depth vs. eating any of the contract if it came to that -- there is value in that, to Noodle's point.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

The Steinbrenners could take the salary savings and light it on fire in the outfield grass and I'd still be in favor of moving Soriano if there are any takers. Beyond his absurd salary, he's got a terrible attitude and his results aren't much better.
    42 is the answer

Gets to see even more of AJ Burnett now!

Thread Information