+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nyuk, Nyuk

Re: Nyuk, Nyuk

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I would tend to disagree with your view that eye-poking is just another form of head-bopping. I think there is some fundamental difference there.

On the essential humorlessness of the Three Stooges, however, you and I are the same height.
    I think that it can be considered a form of head bopping, as you are quite literally bopping a part of the head, but it's probably not head bopping in the spirit of the words, I'll grand you that. Nose tweaking and pie throwing are not head bopping either, even though the throwing of the pie does end up bopping the head. I would argue that since the hand is not making contact with the head, it can therefore not be head bopping. Head bopping by proxy, perhaps. I think that virtually all of the Stooges' other "talents," though, can be grouped fairly comfortably under head bopping.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I was pretty sure you did but with a fastball down the middle like that I just had to take a swing.
    I hadn't even known that I'd grooved one in like that ... like mah name is Joshie.

I still liked the Three Stooges. I haven't watched 'em in mebbe 15 yrs, but their physical humor, I thought wuz great.

So if Billie Jeanne and Mistah Bacon Cheezeburgah (Santy Claus) didn't like 'em, then so be it ... I never liked those two peoplez anywayz.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

I'm still wonderin' how Kate Upton poses so enticingly in some almost not-there monokini or wot-evah that they call this, while wearing a Catholic nun's habit. Is there no respect for certain things? At least the nun to the right in Eric post #14 here at least looks like a real nun.

It used to be that you could run over anyone with a car EXCEPT nuns, since they were like Mother Teresa.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

The critical consensus seems to be that the movie is not terrible but superfluous. If you liked the original Three Stooges, the feeling is that you're probably better off just watching the original Three Stooges; for those of us who didn't, this won't help.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The critical consensus seems to be that the movie is not terrible but superfluous. If you liked the original Three Stooges, the feeling is that you're probably better off just watching the original Three Stooges; for those of us who didn't, this won't help.
    The critical consensus from this thread? Film critics? So you're sayin' that few will like this movie?

I generally avoid remakes of classics. Be they the Honeymooners, or computer-generated versions of the Flintstones, I can't get the fascination. Must be some remake to adapt to the younger generation. They almost always look bad compared to the original.

Here's hoping that they never remake I Love Lucy or any other classic TV shows.

NYYF Legend

Remember that the choice of watching TTS was usually them or nothing. Even in the TV-rich NYC broadcast area, we had usually a maximum of two channels with kiddie fair in the after-school time slot. They were not my favorite, but they fed my 1950's kiddie TV addiction. I know Officer Joe Bolton beat out whatever else was on at the time (5:30pm). I certainly have no desire to see this movie.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

Originally the idea was to cast Benecio Del Toro, Sean Penn, and Jim Carrey as the Stooges. That would have been interesting..an interesting disaster.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Remember that the choice of watching TTS was usually them or nothing. Even in the TV-rich NYC broadcast area, we had usually a maximum of two channels with kiddie fair in the after-school time slot. They were not my favorite, but they fed my 1950's kiddie TV addiction. I know Officer Joe Bolton beat out whatever else was on at the time (5:30pm). I certainly have no desire to see this movie.
    That's an argument I can understand. I've watched some godawful garbage just because nothing better was on. But I don't pretend that it was anything other than godawful garbage, and there have been plenty of people - not just in this thread - making the argument that the Three Stooges were genuinely funny.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    Originally the idea was to cast Benecio Del Toro, Sean Penn, and Jim Carrey as the Stooges. That would have been interesting..an interesting disaster.
    I don't even go to movies much. Why would that have been such a poor choice?

That's an argument I can understand. I've watched some godawful garbage just because nothing better was on. But I don't pretend that it was anything other than godawful garbage, and there have been plenty of people - not just in this thread - making the argument that the Three Stooges were genuinely funny.
    Humor is kinda like beauty ... it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Was Jerry Lewis funny? Was Dean Martin funny? One sez yes, the other sez no. It's not definitive, as in "Is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar a very tall man?" type of question.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

The 5 of us are going to see it either tonight or next week. We're all 3 Stooges fans - to each his (or her) own.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Humor is kinda like beauty ... it's all in the eyes of the beholder.

Was Jerry Lewis funny? Was Dean Martin funny? One sez yes, the other sez no. It's not definitive, as in "Is Kareem Abdul-Jabbar a very tall man?" type of question.
    That's fine. I was just saying that theDurk was making a different argument this time.

There are plenty of things I had to learn to like, or discovered later in life that I enjoyed them more than I thought. From time to time, I make sure to watch a iittle Three Stooges again, because I know so many people who think they're hilarious, and maybe this time I'll see it. I've found myself able to appreciate occasional moments, but I still don't find them particularly funny.

As Muggs would say, 28 flavors. Enjoy.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    The 5 of us are going to see it either tonight or next week. We're all 3 Stooges fans - to each his (or her) own.
    I hear ya. I was a huge Stooges fan back in the day, just as I loved The Honeymooners, Abbott & Costello, and Laurel & Hardy.

Hey, look, I can't stand Kim K, but Billy Jeanne seems to think that she's a good type of role model for womens' physical fitness and such. 7+ billion peoplez in the world, no way you'll have only one opinion of anything, as if it's a "fact".

Hope that you FIVE STOOGES have a grand time, Vicki!!! NYUK-NYUK-NYUK!!!

That's fine. I was just saying that theDurk was making a different argument this time.

There are plenty of things I had to learn to like, or discovered later in life that I enjoyed them more than I thought. From time to time, I make sure to watch a iittle Three Stooges again, because I know so many people who think they're hilarious, and maybe this time I'll see it. I've found myself able to appreciate occasional moments, but I still don't find them particularly funny.

As Muggs would say, 28 flavors. Enjoy.
    What Tim seemed to be saying was that they weren't his favorite. However, in that time slot, and w/his TV addiction, that's pretty much what he watched.

You then replied that some people on this thread seemed to think that The Three Stooges were funny. My response to this was that humor is based upon the individual. As in "Is it funny to YOU". It's kind of like asking, "Does that guy/gal seem honest?" That's all a judgmental thingy, and the answer would be "yes" to one person, "no" to another, and also "definitely yes" or "definitely no" to others.

Everyone's sense of humor differs. I never thought that "Friends" was all that funny, but I still watched it. I adored Johnny Carson, but the next person may have said "meh". One person loves Billy Cosby, but not so much Richard Pryor. Some love both, some love neither.

Everyone's sense of humor varies wildly. Like one of mah very most beloved childhood parents (the mother of a guy from 5th grade) once said in her charming southern voice, "Bradley, there are some people who always have dinner with wine, and there are others who never have dinner with wine". That alone opened my eyes wide as to the differences between people.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I never was a big Stooges fan, but every time I see the commercial, I laugh, so I want to see it. Especially since they make fun of the Jersey shore people, with them in it.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    I never was a big Stooges fan, but every time I see the commercial, I laugh, so I want to see it. Especially since they make fun of the Jersey shore people, with them in it.
    I didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    In that case, I just may see it. I can't stand those bunch of un-real "reality" idiots. And to think that our own mayor, Jerramiah Healy allowed J-Woww & Snooki to film their spinoff series near City Hall. This after Newark's Corey Booker showed 'em the door, despite that city being cash-starved.

Thread Information