Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Ozzie Guillen: Fake, Fraud, Phony

It's bad enough that you're an insensitive, ill-informed twerp when you expressed your love and support for a man (I used that term loosely)- -a dictator who literally destroyed generations of lives and families. Now that you cower to save your job and face, you've proven that you aren't this honorable, outspoken, passionate person unwilling to back down from his words, but, are instead, a fake, phony and fraud as you try to appease your ever-disenchanted fanbase only to keep your job and position in your new community.

Be a man--don't back down. Stand by what you said about Fidel Castro - that you love and admire him - and let the chips fall where they may, instead of your cowardly 180.

You can no longer tout yourself as an "honest man" just speaking your mind and your version of "truth," as distorted as it might be. I hope that the Cuban fans of Miami never forgive you and continue to call for your head...as they should.

From the fake, phony, fraud:

"I want to make everything clear what's going on. Then people can see me and know what I think," Guillen said. "I think it's the proper thing so people can see my eyes and ask every question they want to ask.
    See your eyes. Heh. Gimmie a break.

"I want to get the thing over with. I told the Marlins I want to fly (back) as soon as I can, and tomorrow's a day off," Guillen said. "I don't want to (talk about it) in Philadelphia. I want to be in Miami and clear everything up."
    awww...you don't want to talk about it in Philly, buy your beloved Miami in front of your beloved Cuban fans

"I want the people there. Whoever feels about it, ask me any questions," he said. "I want you to ask what you ask, because I feel bad? Yes. I feel embarrassed? Yes."
    Are you cowering to save your job? Yes. Are you trying to save face and lying in an attempt to patronize and pander to the large Cuban fanbase? Yes. Did you think that you were going to be automatically loved and forgiven because you're Latino? Yes. Think again.

Stick to your guns Ozzie. You love and admire Castro.....and Chavez (but that's another story, proving what a disingenuous punk he really is). Admit it to your fans that you spoke from the heart in that Time interview. Now you can really prove yourself a man of his word.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/77...astro-comments
    James Woods is the man.

Re: Ozzie Guillen: Fake, Fraud, Phony

Mr. David P. Samson

President
    Miami Marlins
    501 Marlins Way
    Miami, FL 33125

Dear Mr. Samson,

As a Cuban-American State Senator and Miami Marlins season ticket holder, I write this letter to you today with great disdain towards the recent statements made by Miami Marlins Manager, Ozzie Guillén. Mr. Guillén’s statements regarding the Cuban communist dictator, Fidel Castro, are not only appalling, but also insulting to the Cuban-American exiled community and all freedom loving people.
    The Miami Marlins have become a symbol of the progress and greatness of this community. Around the country, people see the new Miami Marlins as an extension of the unique Hispanic community in South Florida, predominantly consisting of Cuban-Americans who fled Communist Cuba in the early 1960’s in search of a sanctuary against political persecution. Many families endured much sacrifice to start all over again in a foreign country where they can live in peace, free from tyranny. The vast majority of my constituents are comprised of Cuban exiles, including my parents who fled from Fidel Castro’s communist regime in 1969; having experienced approximately ten years of living under a tyrannical and murderous regime.

What I also consider disturbing is the fact that the Miami Marlins received tax dollars from this community, including Cuban-American exiles, to fund the construction of the new stadium. As a result, I expect your organization to honor the commitment it has made to this community by taking a strong position against Mr. Guillén. I understand his statements are not reflective of the Miami Marlins organization; however, I feel it is the responsibility of your organization to vigorously condemn these statements and take punitive measures against Mr. Guillén. If the Miami Marlins are to be respected in this community, your organization must stand with the Cuban-American exiled community and execute expedient punitive measures against Mr. Guillén which will rectify the situation.

Members of the Florida Hispanic Legislative Caucus and I will be expecting an imminent public apology from Mr. Guillén and be looking forward to further actions taken against him for his deplorable comments.

Sincerely,

State Senator René García
    Chairman

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/naked...insulting.html

James Woods is the man.

Guillen’s act already wearing thin in South Florida

So folks in the Second City let it go when Guillen cursed during news conferences or said “there are a lot of people from this country who are lazy,” while making the point illegal immigrants are “workaholics.” People let it go when he said Asian baseball players are treated better than Hispanics because teams often provide them interpreters.
    All that foolishness was fine in Chicago.
    It doesn’t play in Miami.

Guillen is just now finding this out because a large number of Marlins fans, mostly Cubans, are freaking out over his statements relative to Fidel Castro in Time magazine.
    The man who works in Little Havana actually said, “I love Fidel Castro.” Guillen also said he “respects” Castro for his longevity.
    Guillen said it. He doesn’t deny he said it.

Guillen later explained his comments to give them context and issued something of an apology. And Tuesday he will conduct a news conference to again explain himself in the hope of being clear.
    Now let me be clear: Guillen should be suspended indefinitely without pay for being unprofessional, insensitive and for conduct detrimental to his ballclub.

There are people in South Florida who are angry with Guillen because he struck an emotional and painful nerve. I am unapologetically one of those people because the communist dictator Guillen apparently loves broke my family.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/0...ring-thin.html
    James Woods is the man.

]Around the country, people see the new Miami Marlins as an extension of the unique Hispanic community in South Florida
    Oh no I don't. I see them as a joke, honestly. I'm waiting for the ridiculousness to go away and someone from the organization to say "just kidding!"

Seriously though, I don't think his opinion on someone not too many are fond of should be a reason to fire him. His reputation is not a secret. Everyone knows what kind of person he is. Very outspoken. I'm not saying he should say these things, nor do I agree with them, however that his character. By putting him on your payroll is on you, not him. And I think the Senator who wrote that is being a wee bit too sensitive. In fact I think it's more of a political move than anything.

By standing behind the "freedom" that the people she is supposedly speaking for, she needs to understand that freedom is not with exception, and Guillen's comments, right or wrong, are allowed to be made.
    Boo for trading Prado.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Oh no I don't. I see them as a joke, honestly. I'm waiting for the ridiculousness to go away and someone from the organization to say "just kidding!"

Seriously though, I don't think his opinion on someone not too many are fond of should be a reason to fire him. His reputation is not a secret. Everyone knows what kind of person he is. Very outspoken. I'm not saying he should say these things, nor do I agree with them, however that his character. By putting him on your payroll is on you, not him.
    As despicable as his words might be, I'd have more respect for him if he comes out and admits his admiration for Castro. Anything less would be cowardly and proof that he's a panderer and just trying to save his job. He always touted himself as an outspoken man who speaks the truth and pulls no punches. Let's see how truly honorable a man he is now. Then let the chips fall were they may. If the fanbase turns against him, they have every right.
    James Woods is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    As despicable as it is, I'd have more respect for him if he comes out and admits his admiration for Castro. Anything less would be cowardly and proof that he's a panderer and just trying to save his job. He always touted himself as an outspoken man who speaks the truth and pulls no punches. Let's see how truly honorable a man he is now.
    I agree with you. And I'm sure if that came without consequence he'd probably stand by his statements. However if the demand to the Marlins is to suspend/fire him, he may have no choice but to retract or amend where he stands. If he stands by his comments, assuming they were taken in the correct context (as if the press is actually good at letting readers know the actual context, not spin it in any way) he will put a black mark on his organization, not just him.

I have no doubt he is being coached in some way right now. That is why he's waiting for the right time and place. I don't think it has anything to do with him being fake.
    Boo for trading Prado.

I agree with you. And I'm sure if that came without consequence he'd probably stand by his statements. However if the demand to the Marlins is to suspend/fire him, he may have no choice but to retract or amend where he stands. If he stands by his comments, assuming they were taken in the correct context (as if the press is actually good at letting readers know the actual context, not spin it in any way) he will put a black mark on his organization, not just him.

I have no doubt he is being coached in some way right now. That is why he's waiting for the right time and place. I don't think it has anything to do with him being fake.
    I agree he probably has no choice and that holding onto this job - which is probably his ultimate - is his main concern. Plus, I think he wanted to be beloved by the Latino community and thought it would be a love affair from day 1.

But Ozzie always sold himself as the type of person who sticks to his guns, no matter the consequence. Let's see if he has as big a pair as he's advertised.

And yes...that whole organization is a mess from the owner to that hideous stadium!
    James Woods is the man.

Did we really need anymore evidence that Guillen was a crass, pathetic igoranemous?
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Did we really need anymore evidence that Guillen was a crass, pathetic igoranemous?
    Ha! this is true. Sometimes you think he's outdone himself, and then something new crops up.
    James Woods is the man.

Perhaps a reality television show starring Ozzie is in order?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Perhaps a reality television show starring Ozzie is in order?
    Not sure giving him more air time is a sensible way of dealing with him.

Not sure giving him more air time is a sensible way of dealing with him.
    I respectfully disagree.

I don't know the context, but when I first read the quote I thought it was just a poor attempt at being funny. Kind of like jokes how cockroaches would survive a nuclear holocaust, Castro can't be exterminated. Not funny, and very insensitive, but is he really a Castro supporter?

Seriously though, I don't think his opinion on someone not too many are fond of should be a reason to fire him. His reputation is not a secret. Everyone knows what kind of person he is. Very outspoken. I'm not saying he should say these things, nor do I agree with them, however that his character. By putting him on your payroll is on you, not him. And I think the Senator who wrote that is being a wee bit too sensitive. In fact I think it's more of a political move than anything.

By standing behind the "freedom" that the people she is supposedly speaking for, she needs to understand that freedom is not with exception, and Guillen's comments, right or wrong, are allowed to be made.
    And a private organization has the freedom to fire somebody they're paying. Especially a clown like this guy.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    And a private organization has the freedom to fire somebody they're paying. Especially a clown like this guy.
    Of course. But I also believe that using your love for freedom in the same breath as saying you're outraged by what someone said is a little bit ridiculous. Of course she has the freedom to be outraged as well. And she has the freedom to say that she is. But using it as part of your outrage doesn't work. It's hypocritical. If she wants to be in a place where people are not allowed to make openly ridiculous statements than go live in Cuba.

And as far has him being a clown, did they not know who he was before they offered him a job?

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
    - Natural Born Killers
    Boo for trading Prado.

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Of course. But I also believe that using your love for freedom in the same breath as saying you're outraged by what someone said is a little bit ridiculous. Of course she has the freedom to be outraged as well. And she has the freedom to say that she is. But using it as part of your outrage doesn't work. It's hypocritical. If she wants to be in a place where people are not allowed to make openly ridiculous statements than go live in Cuba.

And as far has him being a clown, did they not know who he was before they offered him a job?

Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
    - Natural Born Killers
    He was hired by one
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I don't know the context, but when I first read the quote I thought it was just a poor attempt at being funny. Kind of like jokes how cockroaches would survive a nuclear holocaust, Castro can't be exterminated. Not funny, and very insensitive, but is he really a Castro supporter?
    I have no idea, but since he's Venezuelan and can't keep his mouth shut, I have to imagine his opinion of Hugo Chavez is on the record somewhere. Here's a video I found that suggests (without mentioning Chavez by name) that he's not too fond:
    http://weaselzippers.us/2011/08/05/c...n-hes-a-loser/

While Chavez and Castro aren't exactly the same, I think the comments in the above video shed some light on what he really thinks of Castro. Or, perhaps more accurately, what he would really say about Castro if he stopped to consider his words. I think what he said in the "I love Castro" interview was just careless and thoughtless more than anything else.

EDIT: A little more searching got me this article which makes Guillen's views a little more cloudy.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/guillen...5947--mlb.html

It's not the first time Guillen has stirred a political tempest. He twice appeared on a radio show hosted by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez in October 2005, when Guillen led the Chicago White Sox to the World Series title. At the time, Guillen said: ''Not too many people like the president. I do.''

Chavez is unpopular with many Venezuelans, especially those living in the United States. Guillen became a U.S. citizen in 2006 and has been more critical of Chavez in recent years.
    Last edited by sweet_lou_14; 04-10-12 at 09:43 AM.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Why would Loria fire him? This can't be a surprise to them. This is what the man has done his entire career. They knew what they were getting when they hired him.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Why would Loria fire him? This can't be a surprise to them. This is what the man has done his entire career. They knew what they were getting when they hired him.
    Let's say the Cuban-American community starts protesting at their new ballpark and ticket sales are significantly affected due this fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Let's say the Cuban-American community starts protesting at their new ballpark and ticket sales are significantly affected due this fallout.
    well, I"m not sure the difference before/after will be that significant. As someone that has lived down in that area and knows it I would be shocked if that stadium sells out unless the Sox or Yankees come to town and that's every third year. Most controversies die down when the media finds something else to focus on.
    Life is good!

well, I"m not sure the difference before/after will be that significant. As someone that has lived down in that area and knows it I would be shocked if that stadium sells out unless the Sox or Yankees come to town and that's every third year. Most controversies die down when the media finds something else to focus on.
    That will be for ownership to assess and with a new ballpark they should sell out many of their games this year. If they don't and they have a significant segment of their fanbase protesting, not buying tickets and insisting that the manager be replaced then ownership has a decision to make over the matter. I don't have a dog in this fight so it's a local issue that needs to be resolved by the Marlins with their fanbase and media outlets.

That will be for ownership to assess and with a new ballpark they should sell out many of their games this year. If they don't and they have a significant segment of their fanbase protesting, not buying tickets and insisting that the manager be replaced then ownership has a decision to make over the matter. I don't have a dog in this fight so it's a local issue that needs to be resolved by the Marlins with their fanbase and media outlets.
    They may continue to sell out IF they continue to win. If they are 12 games out in July that stadium, while will still draw more than the old place, will not sell out. I agree if they protest because of someone else's opinion (something I've never understood) and that's the reason then they will, but how full that stadium will be by July will be a direct result of where they are in the standings and even then I'm not sure once the curiousity factor of the new stadium wears off how well it will draw.
    Life is good!

They may continue to sell out IF they continue to win. If they are 12 games out in July that stadium, while will still draw more than the old place, will not sell out. I agree if they protest because of someone else's opinion (something I've never understood) and that's the reason then they will, but how full that stadium will be by July will be a direct result of where they are in the standings and even then I'm not sure once the curiousity factor of the new stadium wears off how well it will draw.
    I don't know enough about the locals down there to comment any further, but today's news conference will give us an idea how serious this problem is or might become for the franchise.

Meh..
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I would love this to happen. But I doubt Loira would listen. He's never listened to anyone before.

Thread Information