+ Reply to Thread
Page 188 of 198 FirstFirst ... 88 138 178 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 ... LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 4946

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

I think you did a good job explaining why a team might not do as well in the post-season.

When I gave the numbers and rank of the Yankees with RISP this year, it was to refute the guys who keep saying "I knew all year they would struggle in the post-season-- they couldn't hit w/RISP all season. Everybody said I was wrong blah blah blah." I was refuting the idea that they were bad during the season.

I compared them to the other AL teams-- they faced the same pitching and scouting and competition that the Yankees did (for the most part). Were the Yankees as good this season as in 2012? Absolutely not. But it is incorrect to say that they were horrible, terrible or whatever w/RISP all year. Therefore, the fact that 'they knew all along' is horsesh!t because it's based on a flawed premise. It's like a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, except usually in that case the post part is actually true.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I think you did a good job explaining why a team might not do as well in the post-season.

When I gave the numbers and rank of the Yankees with RISP this year, it was to refute the guys who keep saying "I knew all year they would struggle in the post-season-- they couldn't hit w/RISP all season. Everybody said I was wrong blah blah blah." I was refuting the idea that they were bad during the season.

I compared them to the other AL teams-- they faced the same pitching and scouting and competition that the Yankees did (for the most part). Were the Yankees as good this season as in 2012? Absolutely not. But it is incorrect to say that they were horrible, terrible or whatever w/RISP all year. Therefore, the fact that 'they knew all along' is horsesh!t because it's based on a flawed premise. It's like a post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, except usually in that case the post part is actually true.
    You and I have disagreed with this virtually all year long. I do not think that it was based on a flawed premise because the signs were all there to see. I have said that they were too one dimensional and the Yankees were in the bottom tier with RISP, other than runs scored, all year long. Hitting HRs is great but I think when the postseason comes, it is much better to have an offense that can score in a variety of ways. And I think looking at the past 2 years as an example, the Yankee offense was a key to the team getting knocked out of the playoffs: more so in 2011 than in 2010.

Four teams still playing baseball. One of those four team's fans are plotting the firing of everyone from the owners to the security guards.
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    You and I have disagreed with this virtually all year long. I do not think that it was based on a flawed premise because the signs were all there to see. I have said that they were too one dimensional and the Yankees were in the bottom tier with RISP, other than runs scored, all year long. Hitting HRs is great but I think when the postseason comes, it is much better to have an offense that can score in a variety of ways. And I think looking at the past 2 years as an example, the Yankee offense was a key to the team getting knocked out of the playoffs: more so in 2011 than in 2010.
    Except that's not true. There's the flawed premise.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Four teams still playing baseball. One of those four team's fans are plotting the firing of everyone from the owners to the security guards.
    Well that guy shouldn't have said he saw the ball hit the foul pole.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Are you shocked, John? We go through this every year. The idiocy never ceases to amaze me.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    The idiocy never ceases to amaze me.
    I love idiocy. I've been trying to get better at it.
    I can't complain but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

The greatest fans in the world TM
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Yankees, as a team, hit .265BA, 8th in MLB and 5th in AL.

Angels, in No. 1, hit .274.

It's simply not true the Yankees, as a group, doesn't hit for average. Yankees is also middle of the pack in K%, despite finishing 3rd in BB% with 9.1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Man View Post
    I love idiocy. I've been trying to get better at it.
    Makes this place interesting. I've never been drawn to frustration so much with anything in my life. 10 years now. I have a love/hate relationship with this forum.

Just kidding, I love you guys.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Thumbs up Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

I am not saying it is going to happen, or is even possible. But how many times have we seen this team go from looking dead to crushing the ball during the season. I think we saw it 2 or 3 times during September alone. Heres to hoping that it happens once more.

OK, Lou, I'm not going to parse that entire thing to respond, but I'll do my best:

I don't have splits for "vs good pitching" and "vs lousy pitching," though the Yankees were 45% better than league average (by OPS+) vs what BR defines as "power pitchers."

As far as pressure goes, the Yankees had the best wOBA in baseball in "high leverage situations," as defined by FanGraphs, and were 19% better than average (by OPS+) in BR's "high leverage" situations, which happened to be when they hit the best. I can't speak to interview requests or anything else, but no lineup handled pressure situations better than the Yankees' did this year.

As far as scouting goes, I'm not buying it. These guys get scouted plenty over the season and over their careers. It's not like Robinson Cano, who has been one of the most dangerous hitters in the league over the last few years, was getting overlooked by opposing scouts until the playoffs started, when they suddenly found his kryptonite.

Honestly, it seems to me like a really fluky run of bad luck. It's bizarre and it sucks, but I don't think that slash and burn is the way to fix it.

NYYF Legend

Like to congratulate Bud Selig since because of the extra WC and the lousy scheduling because of it we will likely see the two teams with the worst records to make the Post Season this season face each other in the WS. WAY TO GO BUD!

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Like to congratulate Bud Selig since because of the extra WC and the lousy scheduling because of it we will likely see the two teams with the worst records to make the Post Season this season face each other in the WS. WAY TO GO BUD!
    He's a dick.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

For the record, I'd like to be put into the corner of "Please Don't Trade Alex Rodriguez".
    I think it would be an historic mistake.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    He's a dick.
    On other websites I go on, "dick" is probably the most mild insult used to describe him. And the least anti-semitic.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    On other websites I go on, "dick" is probably the most mild insult used to describe him. And the least anti-semitic.
    "Circumcised dick?"
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    "Circumcised dick?"
    haha, that's pretty good
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    For the record, I'd like to be put into the corner of "Please Don't Trade Alex Rodriguez".
    I think it would be an historic mistake.

He should be playing tonight, not Swisher.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    In fairness to both of these teams, they were viewed as dangerous coming in. I personally wanted to avoid the Tigers, Cards, and Giants.

The regular season records aren't the best, but that can, in part, be attributed to injuries or underperformance in the regular season (Carpenter, Wainwright, Freese, Craig) (Fister, Scherzer, Jackson).

These teams also have a good recipe for postseason success. 2-3 shutdown starters, 2-3 seemingly slump-proof hitters, and a decent bullpen (Valverde notwithstanding).

And we were some late season craziness away from being a wild card team, but I still would have considered us among the favorites.

This team is on life support. Maybe we should just pull the plug and let them die with no further embarrassment and what ever remaining dignity that might be left.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    This team is on life support. Maybe we should just pull the plug and let them die with no further embarrassment and what ever remaining dignity that might be left.
    Yep, that's exactly the right thing to say 30 minutes before they take the field in a do-or-die game.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Yep, that's exactly the right thing to say 30 minutes before they take the field in a do-or-die game.

Can't help it. This team, from top to bottom, has left a bad taste in my mouth. Don't really care what kind of fan I might be perceived as because of these thoughts (a general comment not directed at you). I'm fairly certain that voicing my displeasure won't affect the outcome.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Please.
    The Yankees have never been quitters regardless of what anyone on this site says.

Thanks for the memories Kate frostdude1's Avatar

The thing that sucks the most is, we could easily be up 2-1 in this series right now if some things had gone our way. I hope it begins to turn around today. Lets Go Yankees

Thread Information