+ Reply to Thread
Page 168 of 198 FirstFirst ... 68 118 158 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 178 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 4946

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    This is the best I've felt about a Yankee team entering the playoffs since 2009.
    Mine is from the standpoint of the opponents, more so than the team itself.

No Mo is what bugs me.
    Team Northern Lights

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Really? I feel good but I felt better in 2010, we really had a beastly team that year.
    Yeah, for the same reason nerfball just said - the opponents aren't stacked 1-5. O's and A's qualified for crying out loud!

Also, our team is fully healthy (except for Mo) with a rotation I feel extremely comfortable with - Mo will be missed, but we can win without him.

Also, like I said yesterday, the fact we had to play till the last day and came back from late deficits in the two biggest games of the year showed a lot to me.

NYYF HOF

This year, even more than normally, I am uncertain about how this team will play. The 2012 Yankees have the capability to be inspiringly excellent or unspeakably bad in almost all aspects of the game; hitting, starting pitching, middle relief, closing (mostly good), defense, base running, it's all over the map. We CAN pull together 11 games of stellar baseball and beat anybody out there this year. Will we? Honestly, I haven't a clue. But I'm sure as heck gonna watch.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

This is the best I've felt about a Yankee team entering the playoffs since 2009.
    I can't explain it, but I feel the same way. I see them getting to the World Series at least ... I don't follow the National League closely enough to handicap the Yankees vs. those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Really? I feel good but I felt better in 2010, we really had a beastly team that year.
    But I agree with this too, to a degree. The thing that made me most confident in 2010 was the fact that they were defending champs.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Any idea what time any of the ALDS games are going to happen?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Any idea what time any of the ALDS games are going to happen?
    I assume it won't be decided until after Friday's game.

With the way Yankees have been playing and winning since September 15, going 14-4 in the last 18 games including three walkoff wins, if the Yankees don't win the World Series, it will be a huge disappointment.

Either the Yankees win the World Series in 2012 or it's failure.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    No, but I copied it from him.
    He's a gigantic tool, I'd recommend never doing this again.
    Last edited by teknetic; 10-04-12 at 05:45 PM.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    This year, even more than normally, I am uncertain about how this team will play. The 2012 Yankees have the capability to be inspiringly excellent or unspeakably bad in almost all aspects of the game; hitting, starting pitching, middle relief, closing (mostly good), defense, base running, it's all over the map. We CAN pull together 11 games of stellar baseball and beat anybody out there this year. Will we? Honestly, I haven't a clue. But I'm sure as heck gonna watch.

I'm with you. I'm usually a fairly optimistic person but I just don't have the confidence that others seem to have in here. I'm not a doomsayer, I have plenty of HOPE that they can win but I can't really say that I'm expecting them to.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

I feel it too..same feeling as 2009

Ichiro will be that true X-factor I bet. He will bring it when it really matters.
    Reppin the Pinstripes in DC (thanks grandpa)/Hail to the Redskins/Rock the Red (Go Caps)/Joakim Noah = 2013 DPOY

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    I'm with you. I'm usually a fairly optimistic person but I just don't have the confidence that others seem to have in here. I'm not a doomsayer, I have plenty of HOPE that they can win but I can't really say that I'm expecting them to.
    I pretty much feel how you feel, although I am more confident then I was 3-4 weeks ago. I also think there is way too much disrespect of the O's and A's going on around here. There seems to be a "we'll smoke them easily" mentality. I dont get that. I fully admit to not taking the O's seriously for alot of the season, but they played well down the stretch and they are here. We split the season series w/them. I dont see why all of a sudden if we play them it will be a cakewalk. Same goes with Oakland. I dont believe its a fluke that they went 57-26 to finish their season out (which is 111-win pace baseball over a full season). On paper, these two teams may not look great....they lack big names in both their pitching staff and lineup...but on paper doesnt really matter. They win alot of games, their players performed and they made it. Much respect should be given to both, and it shouldnt be assumed either will be easy to beat.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    He's a gigantic too, I'd recommend never doing this again.
    Agreed, jon abbey moderates the Yankee forum with the biggest power trip forums have ever seen. What a toolbag.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I pretty much feel how you feel, although I am more confident then I was 3-4 weeks ago. I also think there is way too much disrespect of the O's and A's going on around here. There seems to be a "we'll smoke them easily" mentality. I dont get that. I fully admit to not taking the O's seriously for alot of the season, but they played well down the stretch and they are here. We split the season series w/them. I dont see why all of a sudden if we play them it will be a cakewalk. Same goes with Oakland. I dont believe its a fluke that they went 57-26 to finish their season out (which is 111-win pace baseball over a full season). On paper, these two teams may not look great....they lack big names in both their pitching staff and lineup...but on paper doesnt really matter. They win alot of games, their players performed and they made it. Much respect should be given to both, and it shouldnt be assumed either will be easy to beat.
    You may be referring to me, since I said the Yankees would smoke the Orioles in another thread. I stand by that statement. Oakland would be a tougher matchup.

I would welcome the chance to see the Yankees end the Orioles' season, but I think Texas is going to do the honors.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I can't explain it, but I feel the same way. I see them getting to the World Series at least ... I don't follow the National League closely enough to handicap the Yankees vs. those teams.

But I agree with this too, to a degree. The thing that made me most confident in 2010 was the fact that they were defending champs.
    Against NL playoff teams we played, the Yankees went:

4-2 vs. Atlanta
    3-0 vs. Washington
    1-2 vs. Cincinnati

Agreed, jon abbey moderates the Yankee forum with the biggest power trip forums have ever seen. What a toolbag.
    Yea, he was banned from here, but that was before my time. The amount of ass one can kiss on an internet forum to really gain no sort of benefit (other than the privelege of posting on the Red Sox section?) is pretty amazing.

You may be referring to me, since I said the Yankees would smoke the Orioles in another thread. I stand by that statement. Oakland would be a tougher matchup.

I would welcome the chance to see the Yankees end the Orioles' season, but I think Texas is going to do the honors.
    I remember feeling that same way walking into the 2006 ALDS vs Detroit. Not singling you out as I have heard the same things from other Yanks fans, whether its on here or people I actually know. I just dont take anything for granted even if it looks great on paper.

I remember feeling that same way walking into the 2006 ALDS vs Detroit. Not singling you out as I have heard the same things from other Yanks fans, whether its on here or people I actually know. I just dont take anything for granted even if it looks great on paper.
    Well, neither do I. You and I are among dozens of fans on this forum alone who bring up rooting for the chance to face Detroit in 2006 every year as one of life's enduring lessons.

I think the Orioles are weaker than the Rangers and I think they've been playing over their heads and if the Yankees face Baltimore, I really like our chances. But of course anything can happen. As I've always said, Suzyn ...

Well, neither do I. You and I are among dozens of fans on this forum alone who bring up rooting for the chance to face Detroit in 2006 every year as one of life's enduring lessons.

I think the Orioles are weaker than the Rangers and I think they've been playing over their heads and if the Yankees face Baltimore, I really like our chances. But of course anything can happen. As I've always said, Suzyn ...
    I would agree that the O's matchup looks better. We historically play very well in Camden and its an easier road trip. Texas has been a tough place for us over the years.

The Rangers lineup is much more lethal. With that said, guys like Reynolds, Wieters, Jones etc. have just killed us this year.

Via Mark Hale, the Yankees will consider using Hiroki Kuroda as the number three starter in the ALDS and sliding Andy Pettitte in behind CC Sabathia as the number two. We’ve been assuming it would be the other way around for much of the season. “That’s something that we’re going to have to talk about, absolutely,” said Joe Girardi when asked about starting Pettitte over Kuroda in Game Two. “[Kuroda] had an unbelievable season, and that’s something we’ll definitely consider.”

Pettitte was lined up to pitch today in a potential tie-breaker game, which thankfully was not needed. He would be on eight days’ rest for Game Two and ten days’ rest for Game Three. Kuroda, on the other hand, would start Game Two on normal rest and Game Three on seven days’ rest. Giving him two extra days seems like a pretty good idea given his age (37) and career-high workload (219.2 IP), plus he actually pitched better at home than on the road this year. Unsurprisingly, Kuroda said he would do whatever the team asked. · (31) ·
    I'm all for this.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I'm all for this.
    I'm so happy to hear they're considering this ... it's the way to go. Kuroda's a significantly better pitcher at home.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    No Mo is what bugs me.
    Same here. I think we would be unstoppable right now if we had Robertson/Soriano for the 7th/8th and Mo for the 9th. I still feel like soft underbelly of this bullpen is going to bite us at some point, although I suppose that's true of most teams.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    October is going to be crazy. There are no clear cut favorites in either league.
    This probably goes without saying, but it's going to come down to pitching.

I think whomever's #2 or #3 starters fares well, will win the pennant.

I think the Yankees' experience should them to the World Series, but if they don't do better at hitting in the clutch, they will be sitting st home.

I'm basically stating the obvious here.

It seems like almost every postseason team this year has lost a fairly significant pitcher (or two) for the postseason. We lost Pineda and Mo. Oakland lost Colon. Orioles lost Hammels. Tigers may be losing Scherzer. Braves lost Beachy. Washington loses Strasburg. Giants don't have Wilson and basically no longer have Lincecum because of suckitude. The Reds lost Madson and Masset. The Rangers are without Colby Lewis, Mike Adams, and Neftali Feliz.

The Cardinals, surprisingly enough considering the questions surrounding their pitching staff at the beginning of the year, seem fairly healthy. We'll see what they get out of Wainwright and Carpenter, but they both seem to be almost 100%. I hate that team.

Addicted Member

I would agree that the O's matchup looks better. We historically play very well in Camden and its an easier road trip. Texas has been a tough place for us over the years.

The Rangers lineup is much more lethal. With that said, guys like Reynolds, Wieters, Jones etc. have just killed us this year.
    I rather not play the Orioles.

They're playing like they are oblivious to pressure. No one expected to be where they are, so they have nothing to lose.

All the pressure is on the Yankees.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    It seems like almost every postseason team this year has lost a fairly significant pitcher (or two) for the postseason. We lost Pineda and Mo. Oakland lost Colon. Orioles lost Hammels. Tigers may be losing Scherzer. Braves lost Beachy. Washington loses Strasburg. Giants basically no longer have Lincecum because of suckitude. The Reds lost Madson and Masset. The Rangers are without Colby Lewis, Mike Adams, and Neftali Feliz.

The Cardinals, surprisingly enough considering the questions surrounding their pitching staff at the beginning of the year, seem fairly healthy. We'll see what they get out of Wainwright and Carpenter, but they both seem to be almost 100%. I hate that team.

After living here in the Bay Area, I've heard enough about Linceum's troubles.
    But I wouldn't count him out. He's capable of getting in a two or three game groove. And in the playoffs, that's all a team needs.

I would go out on the limb and say the Giants are the team to beat in the National League.

Thread Information