+ Reply to Thread
Page 162 of 198 FirstFirst ... 62 112 152 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 172 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 4946

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    .314 OBP. It's only 35 PA, so it doesn't really mean anything, but there's certainly nothing that screams "decent success" or "leadoff spot."
    Its relative.

Off an average pitcher thats below average production, but off an elite LHP, which Lester has been for most of his career, thats decent success.

If you look at the rest of the Yankee lineup (I did), you'll see that Ichiro is in the upper tier verses Lester, especially recently.

I think he's like 5 for 9 off Lester this year?
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

For those who were wondering, Longoria is in the lineup for Tampa tonight and hitting cleanup.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Let's not forget, Detroit got to play Minnesota, Cleveland and Kansas City an eye-popping 57 times this season. As compared to the Yankees playing 57 against Boston, Toronto and Tampa. Not to mention Baltimore another 18 times, who happens to be light years better than the 2nd place team in the central.
    I think Detroit is soft from playing all the weak AL Central teams and still only having 87 wins.
    The number 57 should be 54. Both Detroit and the Yankees played every other club in their division 18 times. It will be 19 times next year.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    He was on a tear all night last night.
    Here's an idea, instead of obsessing over me and posting your snide remarks in multiple threads, if you don't appreciate my posts, don't read them, because I'm sure as hell not going to change or stop posting to satisfy you or anyone else, so it behooves you to get over it.

I don't personally attack people and I play by the rules, and thats all I need to do, I don't need to placate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    For those who were wondering, Longoria is in the lineup for Tampa tonight and hitting cleanup.
    This is why Texas losing was more important than Oakland winning.
    Team Northern Lights

No matter which way the season turns out, I can't recall a Yankee team as talented as this, being so fundamentally flawed.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

Please explain. Do you mean they are not playing to their talent level? Or the talent is not well balanced? What do you mean "flawed?"

The ineptitude tonight...from the players and the manager in such a huge game against a god awful Sox team...is just startling. Maybe I shouldnt be as surprised as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerNatural View Post
    No matter which way the season turns out, I can't recall a Yankee team as talented as this, being so fundamentally flawed.
    That pretty much sums up this entire season. And yet they are tied for the best record in the AL right now. It's confusing. Luck? Can't be all season. Bad teams? The league is more balanced than ever. Easy division? Yeah right. It's odd. I hope in the playoffs they are firing on all cylinders they should railroad their way to a championship.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

I just don't understand how bad this particular team is with the bases loaded or runner on 3rd and less than 2 out and getting nothing. We just can't ever seem to get a fly ball, let alone a hit, when you absolutely have to. I guess everyone is at blame for this but it's alarming

NYYF Cy Young

Is it really this hard to beat a minor league team.

15 hits and 3 walks.... you'd think they should have 8 runs at least.

So the answer to my question is that they are performing way below their talent, at least in critical situations.

If this is really the case and it is a general failure (other than Raul tonight), then I would infer that there is a leadership problem.

Its ugly sometimes but this team just finds a way...injuries, struggles with RISP and the rest. But things work out.

One more win fellas!
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    I just don't understand how bad this particular team is with the bases loaded or runner on 3rd and less than 2 out and getting nothing. We just can't ever seem to get a fly ball, let alone a hit, when you absolutely have to. I guess everyone is at blame for this but it's alarming
    I'm sure I'll get mocked for using data, but this ain't accurate. The BA with bases jammed is less than ideal but half their hits are XBH.

But just dead wrong on 3rd with less than 2 outs. .295 / .349 / .541

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'm sure I'll get mocked for using data, but this ain't accurate. The BA with bases jammed is less than ideal but half their hits are XBH.

Facts are frowned upon in this establishment.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Well, which is it? Does the team somehow find a way? Or is it fundamentally flawed and performing way below its talent? Or does this depend on whether they win or lose?

One word ....

Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Well, which is it? Does the team somehow find a way? Or is it fundamentally flawed and performing way below its talent? Or does this depend on whether they win or lose?
    This forum is great at hindsight and using selective statistics to fit a narrative.

Don't worry about it.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Gotta root for Texas tonight.

We don't want Texas to fall into the WC, thats the last team we want to face in the first round.

Much rather play Oakland or Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post

Why would you be mocked? The stats don't lie. It's just aggravating when it comes down to the wire like this and you see so many baserunners wasted tonight.

NYYF Legend

It took until the penultimate game of the season but the Yankees finally won a game when they had been trailing after eight innings. Hopefully that bodes well for the playoffs.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Battingly View Post
    Gotta root for Texas tonight.

We don't want Texas to fall into the WC, thats the last team we want to face in the first round.

Much rather play Oakland or Baltimore.
    What? Why?

We are 4-3 against Texas, and their rotation is the one out of the playoff teams that we have the most success against.

I want HFA. Oakland winning helps us. Go A's.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Why would you be mocked? The stats don't lie. It's just aggravating when it comes down to the wire like this and you see so many baserunners wasted tonight.
    Because that's how people roll here and he would be in the vocal minority when it comes to opinions about the offense's performance here.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    This forum is great at hindsight and using selective statistics to fit a narrative.

Don't worry about it.
    It's not just this forum, it's human nature.

Let's face it, you can take any sport and look at the way the stories are told by everyone from fans to sports journalists to the people who play the game. The end result (win or lose) often dictates the story in hindsight.

Just think how many absolutely incredible teams are remembered as failures because they fell short of a championship. Those are examples writ large, and there are plenty of examples writ small about individuals remembered for a single moment that distorts what they really were as players. After all, who was the better player, Bucky Dent or Bill Buckner?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Thread Information