+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 198 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 112 152 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 4946

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

The team and its fans now have 48 hours to regroup and watch the scoreboard before a 9-game stretch that could decide the division.

It used to be that the Yankees did such a fantastic job taking care of business against the lesser teams that they could win the division with mediocre or even losing records against their stiffest competition. This time looks like it will be different.

Realistically, I'd like to see the Orioles split their remaining two against Chicago, and then see the Yankees take two out of three this weekend. That would settle things down a bit, giving the Yankees a 4-game lead over Baltimore and probably something similar over Tampa Bay.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

We need to get healthy. Too many injuries. That being said no way should we lose 2 of 3 at home to the Bautista-less Blue Jays.
    Life is good!

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    What are the expectations of a team that has encountered the following:

Probable Number 2 Starting Pitcher (Michael Pineda) out for the year starting 4/4
    Starting LFer (Brett Gardner) out for the year starting 4/9
    Eric Chavez missed 7 games in May (concussion)
    Hall of Fame, best closer of all time (Mariano Rivera) out for the year starting 5/3
    8th inning Relief Pitcher (David Robertson) missed just under a month (May-June)
    Number 3 (4?) Starting Pitcher (Andy Pettitte) has missed 2 months so far (may be back in 3 weeks)
    Number 1 Pitcher (CC Sabathia) spent 15 days on the DL twice
    Starting 3B Man (Alex Rodriguez) has been on the DL for the past 25 days (may return in 10 days or so)
    Number 5 Pitcher (Ivan Nova) currently on the DL.
    Starting 1B Man (Mark Teixiera) has been battling a bad wrist for over a month (currently out for at least two weeks)

Nick Swisher had two stints where he was injured and missed a week but was not DLed. This caused the team to play with a 24 man roster for two weeks of the season.

So I ask again, should this team be a World Championship caliber team right now?
    It also didn't help that Austin Romine spent nearly the entire season, so far, out of commission. That really hurt his development and the Yankees could possibly have used him this season.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    We need to get healthy. Too many injuries. That being said no way should we lose 2 of 3 at home to the Bautista-less Blue Jays.
    Get healthy. Hmmm, I sense a pattern with the 2012 Yankees and 2011 Giants.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

The above is a very good point. Everyone talks about the Red Sox injuries. The Yankees could field a Very good team with their injured players. The main thing we need is to get Andy, Alex, Tex and Nova back and then see where we are.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    But how can tough love or being vocal change the fact that the Yankees are been blitzed with injuries and they have struggled with hitting with RISP all season long...even when they were more healthy. Now you have a compromised line-up with role players starting day after day. So to me, yelling screaming isn't going to change much if anything at all.
    Overall their RISP numbers have actually gotten better as the year has gone on.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

it's hard to watch the games because it feels like we're in a holding pattern. I give props to Cashmoney for trying to fix the problems with bandaids, but it's starting to feel like we stitches.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    True, because iirc in June they had the worst average with RISP in baseball. As it stands now in the AL, they are 9th (.252). With RISP and 2 outs, they are 11th (.231), and with the bases loaded, they are 11th (.215).
    If this plays out to a sad conclusion, the epitaph of the Yankee's season will read..YANKEES 2012: COULDN'T GET A HIT WHEN IT COUNTED.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

NYYF Legend

Yes it has but I think that it remains their achilles heel as they try to get into the post season. As many runs as they do score, I think that the team still has a reliance upon the HR and as going 3-17 bears out today, they have been awful with RISP for the past two weeks or so.

NYYF Legend

Yes it has but I think that it remains their achilles heel as they try to get into the post season. As many runs as they do score, I think that the team still has a reliance upon the HR and as going 3-17 bears out today, they have been awful with RISP for the past two weeks or so.
    They scored 5 runs and had their ace on the mound against a depleted offense. That's a game you should win 9 times out of 10.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    They scored 5 runs and had their ace on the mound against a depleted offense. That's a game you should win 9 times out of 10.
    Yes I would tend to agree but you also have to consider that the Yankee defense led to 3 UER against CC and Jones inablity to play RF also led to runs scoring that should not have as well. Factor in a 3-17 with RISP by the Yankee bats and the Yanks got exactly what they deserved.......a loss.

NYYF Legend

Yes I would tend to agree but you also have to consider that the Yankee defense led to 3 UER against CC and Jones inablity to play RF also led to runs scoring that should not have as well. Factor in a 3-17 with RISP by the Yankee bats and the Yanks got exactly what they deserved.......a loss.
    CC got smacked around with 2 outs for those runs. Fallacy of the predetermined out come but those could have easily been shifted to the next inning. And Jones' ball is probably a sac fly with how he played it. All in all though t his loss is on CC, the defense & the pen not really the offence to blame here.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    What are the expectations of a team that has encountered the following:

Probable Number 2 Starting Pitcher (Michael Pineda) out for the year starting 4/4
    Starting LFer (Brett Gardner) out for the year starting 4/9
    Eric Chavez missed 7 games in May (concussion)
    Hall of Fame, best closer of all time (Mariano Rivera) out for the year starting 5/3
    8th inning Relief Pitcher (David Robertson) missed just under a month (May-June)
    Number 3 (4?) Starting Pitcher (Andy Pettitte) has missed 2 months so far (may be back in 3 weeks)
    Number 1 Pitcher (CC Sabathia) spent 15 days on the DL twice
    Starting 3B Man (Alex Rodriguez) has been on the DL for the past 25 days (may return in 10 days or so)
    Number 5 Pitcher (Ivan Nova) currently on the DL.
    Starting 1B Man (Mark Teixiera) has been battling a bad wrist for over a month (currently out for at least two weeks)

Nick Swisher had two stints where he was injured and missed a week but was not DLed. This caused the team to play with a 24 man roster for two weeks of the season.

So I ask again, should this team be a World Championship caliber team right now?
    You had me after "probable number two..........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

CC got smacked around with 2 outs for those runs.
    I have to agree. There's a big difference between a dropped fly ball that should have been the third out with the bases loaded, allowing three runs to score, and giving up three clean singles with two outs after an error earlier in the inning. Not all unearned runs are created equal.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

All I know is we got an old fashion pennant race..........bring it on and enjoy the ride.............

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I have to agree. There's a big difference between a dropped fly ball that should have been the third out with the bases loaded, allowing three runs to score, and giving up three clean singles with two outs after an error earlier in the inning. Not all unearned runs are created equal.
    Not comparing CC to Ponson but I remeber when he first came to the Yankees after Texas cut him loose and everyone was like but he has a shiny 3.xx ERA all the while ignoring the ugly WHIP and 6.xx RA he was carrying around.

I have every confidence that CC will be a rock for the Yanks rotation in September but he's had better starts than today.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    All I know is we got an old fashion pennant race..........bring it on and enjoy the ride.............
    I'd much prefer the Yanks win the next 10 games and open up a sweet lead for the division again but if it is a pennant race the Yanks are in I'm glad they are 3 games up instead of 3 games down.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

What really hurts is they held the Blue Jays best active player, Encarnacion to one single the entire series and still managed to lose two games.

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    True, because iirc in June they had the worst average with RISP in baseball. As it stands now in the AL, they are 9th (.252). With RISP and 2 outs, they are 11th (.231), and with the bases loaded, they are 11th (.215).
    If this plays out to a sad conclusion, the epitaph of the Yankee's season will read..YANKEES 2012: COULDN'T GET A HIT WHEN IT COUNTED.
    Batting average isn't the greatest judge of situational hitting. For example, you have the Yankees ranked 11th in the AL, batting .215 with the bases loaded. They happen to lead all of MLB with 104 runs scored in that situation. I know it doesn't look as good as say the Nats, who are batting .358 with the bases loaded. The Nats have a total of 89 runs scored in that spot.

I'm not saying the Yankees have been awesome or anything, just that avg doesn't tell the whole story.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Not comparing CC to Ponson
    Wow, tough for me to get past that, especially coming from you. Even in the negative, it's like me saying, "Not comparing X to Sheffield, but...
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Wow, tough for me to get past that, especially coming from you. Even in the negative, it's like me saying, "Not comparing X to Sheffield, but...
    Yeah sorry, CC & Sir Sid should never be in the same post.
    Baseball is life;

Batting average isn't the greatest judge of situational hitting. For example, you have the Yankees ranked 11th in the AL, batting .215 with the bases loaded. They happen to lead all of MLB with 104 runs scored in that situation. I know it doesn't look as good as say the Nats, who are batting .358 with the bases loaded. The Nats have a total of 89 runs scored in that spot.

I'm not saying the Yankees have been awesome or anything, just that avg doesn't tell the whole story.
    Think of how many more runs scored we would have in that bases loaded situation if we actually did hit for a decent average.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Think of how many more runs scored we would have in that bases loaded situation if we actually did hit for a decent average.
    No doubt, but their avg with RISP isn't far off what their overall average is. In other words, they're avg w/RISP is at about what you'd expect.

Not that their overall average couldn't be higher either...
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Frankly I disagree as I think that this team has sustained far too many injuries and a breaking point has been reached. The BP is compromised, the team struggles to hit with RISP, and I just do not see how the injured players can come back fast enough when this team is playing its most important games of the year.
    I thought you were going to criticize me for taking your hyperbolic joke seriously. Instead, you seem to defend a comment that says the 2012 Yankees have no chance to win number 28 this year.

Surely, you cannot believe that. Baseball is not predictable. Its not like the Orioles or Rays or As are great teams. The Yankees certainly have a realistic chance of making the playoffs, and by then, they may well be at full strength. If Andy comes back effective, C.C. gets in a groove, Kuroda maintains where he is, and Alex and Mark come back strong, I would take the Yankees' chances over any other team's in the playoffs. Those are all ifs, but they all do not have to materialize and none are unrealistic.

Its one thing to say the Yankees are mediocre or even bad now, and that they cannot win without getting a lot better, or even to say they probably will not get better. It is another thing to give up belief that it is possible.

0-47 when trailing after 8. This is amazing.

Thread Information