+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 198 FirstFirst ... 28 68 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 88 128 178 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 4946
    Devoted Member

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

Ichiro was just rounding 3rd when the ball got to Infante, non issue. Granderson got a good rip on the first pitch, but unfortunately couldn't keep it fair. The Yanks are struggling. Hopefully CC has a strong performance tomorrow and salvages a game.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    Ichiro was just rounding 3rd when the ball got to Infante, non issue. Granderson got a good rip on the first pitch, but unfortunately couldn't keep it fair. The Yanks are struggling. Hopefully CC has a strong performance tomorrow and salvages a game.
    And hope the same for Kuroda on Thursday, and salvage a split.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    And hope the same for Kuroda on Thursday, and salvage a split.
    Even better. For some reason, I was thinking it was 4 vs the Jays.

6-12 in our last 18. We're playing awful baseball, and we're also getting zero breaks.

NYYF Legend

Joe said last week that he was not too concerned with the Yankees losing some close games.

Well the Yankees are now 0-8 in their last 8 1 run games and 0-11 in their 11 1 or 2 run games.
    Lead down to 4 1/2 games.
    Think maybe Joe should be a little concerned now?

HR or Bust

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Ichiro had no chance of scoring-- Here's the play-- wait for the replay:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...nt_id=23705403

EDIT: You need to scroll down all the way on the video panel on the right to Martin's double.
    Ichiro had put on the breaks before he reached third, he could have been a third of the way down if he keeps full stride. That's only part of the issue too, Detroit needs to make a good throw and then Avila needs to make the tag, those aren't givens.

Granderson scored on a similar play yesterday because the latter two were off.

It doesn't bother me so much, I just wish we were more aggressive on the basepaths. Granderson has had a horrible week, Id just rather put the onus on Ichiro's speed and Detroit's bad defense than hoping Granderson gets out of his funk.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

I hate seeing the Yankees lose by one run, opposing batters getting base hits on 0-2 counts, teases in the 9th, pitchers who get offense then blow it, pitchers who give up one run and lose, what the hell? Surely our luck has to change.

I guess you're really not as good as you seem, or as bad as you seem. The Yankees need to turn it around. I am not jumping off the bridge yet, but if we don't start playing better baseball I don't think this team is going to get very far.

They should start playing better small ball, stealing bases, bunting, the big hits will come, but you have to put pressure on the opposing pitcher. Swinging for the fences doesn't always win games.

NYYF Legend

Orioles have won their last 11 1 run games and their last 12 extra inning games. They have far less talent than the Yankees but they know how to win the close games.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Orioles have won their last 11 1 run games and their last 12 extra inning games. They have far less talent than the Yankees but they know how to win the close games.
    They must be absolutely awful in all the other games. They need to learn how to win 9-inning, 2+ run games.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Right, by being the team with one more run than the other team, rather than less.

It has been proven time and time again that "winning the close one" is not a repeatable skill, and that close games only serve to help worse teams beat better teams.

NYYF Legend

“There should be a high level of concern,” Eric Chavez said. “Anybody who says that there isn’t is lying. You’ve just got to win ballgames, and we’re not finding a way to do that, and it should be a concern. It’s that time of the year when, yeah, it’s a concern. We need to start playing good and winning games.”
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/08/0...el-of-concern/

Do you think the Orioles make the players sign NDAs so they don't spill this secret if traded?
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Do you think the Orioles make the players sign NDAs so they don't spill this secret if traded?
    I wonder what they do differently in the eleventh that they couldn't have just done in the seventh?
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
    I hate seeing the Yankees lose by one run, opposing batters getting base hits on 0-2 counts, teases in the 9th, pitchers who get offense then blow it, pitchers who give up one run and lose, what the hell? Surely our luck has to change.

I guess you're really not as good as you seem, or as bad as you seem. The Yankees need to turn it around. I am not jumping off the bridge yet, but if we don't start playing better baseball I don't think this team is going to get very far.

They should start playing better small ball, stealing bases, bunting, the big hits will come, but you have to put pressure on the opposing pitcher. Swinging for the fences doesn't always win games.
    This lineup is missing the likes of a power hitter who can hit for doubles. That's what Hideki Matsui brought to the table in the 2009 season. He can hit for power, but he hits doubles too to have that balance in the power game.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

And people who are panicking right now, take a look at the last time the Yankees had a 12.0+ lead in the AL East standings, but had a dip in form...1996
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...e-scores.shtml
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

Joe said last week that he was not too concerned with the Yankees losing some close games.

Well the Yankees are now 0-8 in their last 8 1 run games and 0-11 in their 11 1 or 2 run games.
    Lead down to 4 1/2 games.
    Think maybe Joe should be a little concerned now?
    u scared?
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    This lineup is missing the likes of a power hitter who can hit for doubles. That's what Hideki Matsui brought to the table in the 2009 season. He can hit for power, but he hits doubles too to have that balance in the power game.
    Matsui averaged 28 doubles a year in his time here. Cano and Swisher have already matched that (well, Swisher has 26 so far), and Tex and Jeter are on pace to pass it as well. Per 162 games, Matsui averaged 35 doubles a year in his time here, which Cano, Swisher and Tex are all on pace for as well. Jeter may not have the HR power Matsui had, but the other three do, so I don't think his combination of HR and doubles power is something that's particularly missing from this team.

ETA - I didn't realize you'd specified his 2009 season. Matsui hit 21 doubles that year with 28 home runs. Aside from the guys I already mentioned, Ibanez is on pace to match the doubles and be in the ballpark for HR's, and Grandy is on pace to be in the ballpark on doubles and crush the HR's.

This offense is extremely frustrating, no doubt.
    But I doubt it has anything to do with HRs or doubles....

I think the problem lies with making consistent contact as a team.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    6-12 in our last 18. We're playing awful baseball, and we're also getting zero breaks.
    And, in those same 18 games, the Yankees have outscored their opponents, 79-73. They should have been able to win 9, if not 10 games in that span with that Run Differential. It's maddening.

Over the course of the season, the Yankees' Run Differential is +86. The Orioles, now breathing down our necks, have a Run Differential of -54. Makes no sense.

Consistency would be really cool. So would an occassional break.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I wonder if they would have dealt Granderson at the deadline had Gardner been able to come back by then.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Look the Yankees are in a slump, plain and simple. Fortunately they played so well in the beginning of the season. If not for that we might not even have a lead in the division. Hopefully CC can be the stopper today and start a new winning streak, go Yanks!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    And, in those same 18 games, the Yankees have outscored their opponents, 79-73. They should have been able to win 9, if not 10 games in that span with that Run Differential. It's maddening.

Over the course of the season, the Yankees' Run Differential is +86. The Orioles, now breathing down our necks, have a Run Differential of -54. Makes no sense.

Consistency would be really cool. So would an occassional break.
    Outside of maybe missing the other team's ace pitcher,(which never seems to happen with the Yankees). what breaks are you looking for. Can't remember any bad umpiring calls as a reason for any of the recent loses.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    u scared?
    Yes! Its not just the Orioles. The Rays are getting alot closer to.

Outside of maybe missing the other team's ace pitcher,(which never seems to happen with the Yankees). what breaks are you looking for. Can't remember any bad umpiring calls as a reason for any of the recent loses.
    How about not missing the team's ace and having a bad umpire in the same game:

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information