+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 198 FirstFirst ... 16 56 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 76 116 166 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 4946

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    With the big lead that the Yankees currently have, even playing the 2nd place team is almost like playing the last place team in a sense. With that being said, if the Yankees drop 2-3 to the Orioles this week, losing just that 1 game as you say, does your level of concern go up any?
    Sure, but that's because the O's are nearer than the Sox. I'm least worried about the Sox than I am about any other AL East team-- maybe that's how I should put it. It doesn't matter to be if they are buyers or sellers or hold pat at the deadline.

EDIT: Oh I see what you're saying-- 2 games separates 2nd from last. Ok, I see your point. Either way, I'm not worried about the Yankees not making the playoffs.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Telling me the Sox lead the league in runs scored isn't talking about their hitting or comparing them to the Yankees?
    Dude...come on. I only mentioned that after you randomly brought up run differential and total runs scored to back up some kind of argument you were trying to make. I merely mentioned that run differential and runs scored were irrelevant to the point I was making and then I countered with the Sox leading the league in runs scored and having a good run differential to show how meaningless it was to what I was saying.

Again....my original point is that given this team's age, the inordinate amount of players in decline and seemingly not much help coming up anytime soon from the farm, we are not very far from the Sox team that so many of us (including myself) mock. Thankfully, our rotation has pitched admirably. But what's in the cards for 2013 and beyond? Thankfully, we dont have Valentine (and Cherington?) on our side. And, like I said, I HOPE we can bring up useful bats from the farm as the Sox seem to be doing. It's kind of ironic that their supposed stripped/inferior farm regularly churns out decent players (even those they trade) while down on our farm, Killer B's are going down one by one as if someone took a can of Raid to them.

Bottom line is we'll probably be forced to go the George route to continue to win, whether we want to admit it or not. It's just a matter of hopefully buying more CCs and less AJs and Pavanos. But, we have to remember that with cable TV money, more teams can splurge as well. This wasn't the case in the past.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    The sox should just mothball him or even better encase him in glass with the warning: 'Only Use Against the Yankees'
    Oh lord, imagine if he was used against us in the first game. We would have been swept.

Im waiting for the "homerun" he will hit against us to complete the bs cycle. Im guessing its a flyball that bounces off of Jones or Ibanez' head into the stands.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Dude...come on. I only mentioned that after you randomly brought up run differential and total runs scored to back up some kind of argument you were trying to make. I merely mentioned that run differential and runs scored were irrelevant to the point I was making and then I brought up the Sox leading the league in runs scored and having a good run differential as being meaningless.

Again....my original point is that given this teams age, players in decline and seemingly not much help coming up anytime soon from the farm, we are not very far from the Sox team that so many of us (including myself) mock. Not to mention that our rotation has pitched admirably to their credit. But for 2013 and beyond? Thankfully, we dont have Valentine and Cherington on our side. AND, like I said, I HOPE we can bring up bats fro the farm, that could make some impact like the Sox did.

Bottom line, is we'll have to go the George route to continue to win, whether we want to admit it or not. It's just a matter of hopefully buying more CCs and less AJs and Pavanos. But we have to remember that with cable TV money, other teams can splurge as well. That wasn't the case in the past.

Until there is a hard salary cap, I sincerely believe the Yankees will be fine for the foreseeable future.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Im waiting for the "homerun" he will hit against us to complete the bs cycle. Im guessing its a flyball that bounces off of Jones or Ibanez' head into the stands.
    Inside the parker. Ichiro and Granderson collide, and Swisher trips over them trying to get to the ball. All three to the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Inside the parker. Ichiro and Granderson collide, and Swisher trips over them trying to get to the ball. All three to the DL.
    Well played. I think we have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Until there is a hard salary cap, I sincerely believe the Yankees will be fine for the foreseeable future.
    I certainly hope you're right. I'm somewhat afraid that Hal and company are going to abide by that $189 million cap regardless of how it may weaken the team. We will soon find out. I don't think they have that same "win at any cost" passion as their dad and are more bottom-line driven.

Not that I believe they will actually get to $189M but if they can't put together a championship caliber team with that, it says a lot about their baseball people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Not that I believe they will actually get to $189M but if they can't put together a championship caliber team with that, it says a lot about their baseball people.
    I dont think its as simple as that. From all accounts Cash didn't sign ARod to that contract or Soriano. And he was reluctant to sign Jeter to that contract.

That's 50 million right there that could be allocated to making the team better.

NYYF Legend

Yankees have now lost 7 out of their last 10 games. Still have a nice lead but they better start reversing things against the O's.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    I dont think its as simple as that. From all accounts Cash didn't sign ARod to that contract or Soriano. And he was reluctant to sign Jeter to that contract.

That's 50 million right there that could be allocated to making the team better.
    Cash may not have wanted to but his bosses did, unfortunately. Just like in any profession, the boss gets the final say.

That's a completely separate issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    That's a completely separate issue though.
    Not really. I would classify Cash as "baseball people".

I'm not talking about Cash though. I said his bosses which means Hal and Hank.

The Red Sox are a complete disaster - you couldn't have drawn it up better before the season if you tried.. Stop worrying about them.

Coffee's right on the mark, if the Yankees collapse, it's got nothing to do with Boston.
    Team Northern Lights

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    You summed up my feelings exactly. My frustration tonight is due to us losing so many similar games during this 3-7 stretch. We could easily be 6-4 or 7-3 if we got big hits or make big pitches in key spots. It also reminds me of how we have lost playoff series the last few years...we win when we blow a team out but a close 1 run game? We find ways to lose. These are the types of games we need to find ways to win. I also am not one to assume a division race is over on July 30...not when a bad stretch of play like this allows teams to hang around.

Was I the only one who knew the 7th inning rally was dead once Ichiro had to stop on 3rd after Jeter's hit? I had zero confidence in Granderson coming thru against Miller there, or Tex to pick him up with 2 outs.
    Losing 4 1-run games is just fluky baseball, and "not finding a way to win" is just cliche. This stuff happens over the course of a season, and shoudn't cause any changes in feeling about the team that weren't already there.
    Team Northern Lights

This season just doesn't have a great "feel" to it. In 09 you knew you were always going to come back and get walk off wins one way or the other. Now we're losing way too many 1-run games, not getting sac flies when you need to, not getting a big hit to break a game open when you need to. Then when you factor in the injuries to so many key players and for how long they've been or will be out- Pineda before he throws an official pitch, Gardner on a hustle play second week of the season, Rivera in BP in May, Pettitte on a comebacker, A-Rod on a HBP- and it seems like the baseball gods haven't dealt us the greatest hand, comfortable lead or not.

Once the postseason comes, I don't have any confidence we'll get a hit or deep fly ball with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 out or Soriano/Robertson will hold a tie game at home when they need to. And I hope the way Boston won the last 2 games doesn't give them momentum. We could afford to lose 2 of 3 against them, but not in the way that it happened.

Yea, I'd much prefer to get blown out.

Who says blown out? You can lose a routine 6-2 game as opposed to losing by 1 run in tense games due to game winning hits by Boston in the top of the 9th and 10th on consecutive nights. Are you actually telling me that doesn't give them more momentum in the style that they won as opposed to winning in other ways?! Wow dumb comment

Now we're talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    Who says blown out? You can lose a routine 6-2 game as opposed to losing by 1 run in tense games due to game winning hits by Boston in the top of the 9th and 10th on consecutive nights. Are you actually telling me that doesn't give them more momentum in the style that they won as opposed to winning in other ways?! Wow dumb comment
    You should PM me a exact copy of this post.

Oh wait, you did.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

We lost two of three. Will probably happen again this season.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    We lost two of three. Will probably happen again this season.
    Commie...........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    Please tell me how this "momentum" applies to subsequent games. Will it make Lester or Beckett pitch better? Will the lingering thoughts of Granderson misplaying a ball help their command?

I was told by various sources the Cody Ross walkoff would do the same thing. How did that turn out.
    Team Northern Lights

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

The irrational fear of average teams amuses me.
    Life is good!

Thread Information