+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 198 FirstFirst ... 30 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 50 90 140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 4946

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    That's what I meant. They get up 25 times with the bases loaded and get 1 home run and nothing else. That's 4 RBIs. If they got 7 singles in those 25 ABs that would probably translate to 10-14 RBIs. And they never even seem to get productive outs with the bases loaded. Anyone remember the last SF?
    If Alex would have singled yesterday, would the Yankees have won the game?

It is what it is....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I don't think he's saying that homeruns are bad. I think he's saying he rather have some singles and doubles as opposed to the all the k's and doubleplays we've seen with all the bases loaded this year.
    They hit into double plays to keep the stats looking good.
    An RBI ground out followed by another out is 0 for 2.
    If they GIDP then it is just 0 for 1.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I think the general thought process is greed.
    Homeruns are great but we'd like to see them get more hits with the bases loaded.

Well of course that's what fans want! If the Yankees were hitting .600 with the bases loaded, we'd want them to hit .700......
    I think there's a theory that the fact that there are hitting so poorly with RISP and the bases loaded and the few hits they get are mostly homeruns, might be indicative of an all or noting approach. I don't see what greed has to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I think there's a theory that the fact that there are hitting so poorly with RISP and the bases loaded and the few hits they get are mostly homeruns, might be indicative of an all or noting approach. I don't see what greed has to do with it.
    It's a pretty weak theory, since it relies on a very small sample, and it wasn't true prior to this year. They've made too many outs with the bases loaded. They'll probably improve because they're good hitters. Don't overthink it.

I do believe someone had proven that the whole BA with RISP was not true..... The Yankees are right in the middle of the pack on that one.

The bases loaded gig is complete greed. No matter what they were doing ith the base loaded, unless they were hitting a grand slam every at bat, fans would want more.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Hyperbole overload in this thread.

NYYF Legend

If Alex would have singled yesterday, would the Yankees have won the game?

It is what it is....
    There is no way to really tell. The GS only tied the game and was followd by a single and Swisher's HR. Insert "Kay's Fallacy of the Predetermined Outcome" here.

I think most would agree the HR is the most desirable result. I don't think anyone is saying "I wish the Yankees would hit fewer homeruns with the bases loaded or RISP." To suggest that is sort of stupid IMO.

I also don't think anyone would have complained if Alex had hit a single, double or triple. The idea is to keep the rally going. The frustration with RISP or bases loaded situations is from coming away empty so often this year.

The results have been been all or nothing a lot this season. Any fan will gladly take it all, but if we can't have it all, at least get something more often than not.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Hyperbole overload in this thread.
    Hyperbole on an internet message board? I'm shocked.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Hyperbole on an internet message board is the most shocking thing ever to happen.

I do believe someone had proven that the whole BA with RISP was not true..... The Yankees are right in the middle of the pack on that one.

The bases loaded gig is complete greed. No matter what they were doing ith the base loaded, unless they were hitting a grand slam every at bat, fans would want more.
    If you're talking '12 BA w/ RISP, they are dead last in the AL (.220, Oakland is 2nd to last with .235). The BA sucks, sOPS+ is a bit more balanced and they are just under league average with a 98. They are 8th in the AL in AB with RISP, and 9th in runs from AB with RISP.

The biggest myth was that "this team has ALWAYS struggled with RISP" which is patently false. Yes, they've had spurts (and at bad times, like the playoffs) where they've struggled with RISP but they led the AL last year in total production with RISP.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Message board or not, some people just are incapable of making a point without blowing something completely out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    There is no way to really tell. The GS only tied the game and was followd by a single and Swisher's HR. Insert "Kay's Fallacy of the Predetermined Outcome" here.

I think most would agree the HR is the most desirable result. I don't think anyone is saying "I wish the Yankees would hit fewer homeruns with the bases loaded or RISP." To suggest that is sort of stupid IMO.

I also don't think anyone would have complained if Alex had hit a single, double or triple. The idea is to keep the rally going. The frustration with RISP or bases loaded situations is from coming away empty so often this year.

The results have been been all or nothing a lot this season. Any fan will gladly take it all, but if we can't have it all, at least get something more often than not.

Very good post.

Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games.
    This deserves to be quoted again.

NYYF Legend

...except when they lose.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    That's what I meant. They get up 25 times with the bases loaded and get 1 home run and nothing else. That's 4 RBIs. If they got 7 singles in those 25 ABs that would probably translate to 10-14 RBIs. And they never even seem to get productive outs with the bases loaded. Anyone remember the last SF?
    Remember, "productive outs" still make them 0-for-whatever.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Remember, "productive outs" still make them 0-for-whatever.
    Also, they've gotten 4 SF with the bases loaded, which is more than the AL average. LAAoA leads the league with 7, and they have generated about 14 less runs overall in bases loaded scenarios than the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Hyperbole on an internet message board is the most shocking thing ever to happen.
    That's what Hitler always said.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

And, scene.

on 9 -11
    Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Mariano Rivera was so great he was able to close a Denny's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post
    Only if he has bionic enhancements.

Yankees destroy Atlanta.

This is not a repost from 1864.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Yankees destroy Atlanta.

This is not a repost from 1864.
    I laughed.

The Yankees have the best record in the AL right now.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfallibleOne View Post

Thread Information