+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 198 FirstFirst ... 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 88 138 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

+10 over, tied for first. I'll take it!

Gotta say, it was nice to look at the standings this morning and seeing the Yankees atop the AL East. Thank god, I've been feeling off since opening day, all is right in the world! And Cano with a 1B with a risp. Holy ................e.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    and #2 in ERA+ in the AL.
    Pretty insane.

This flawed team is now #1 in OPS+ and #2 in ERA+ in the AL. Furthermore, they have the ability to improve in both as well as other batting and pitching metrics.
    Quoted for emphasis.

A lot of people were complaining about this being an off year, as recently as a couple weeks ago. They said this was a team they couldn't get excited about.

It's time to get excited.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Quoted for emphasis.

A lot of people were complaining about this being an off year, as recently as a couple weeks ago. They said this was a team they couldn't get excited about.

It's time to get excited.
    Well - in their defense... It's much easier to get excited about a team that is winning as opposed to when it's losing.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Well - in their defense... It's much easier to get excited about a team that is winning as opposed to when it's losing.
    Ain't that the truth.

Losing Pineda, Mo and Robertson would devastate most teams. It is amazing that NYY finds itself at the top of the toughest division in MLB. Kudos to Cash for building the depth we're witnessing now.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    True, but we've been down this road before and more than a few times, when certain Yankee fans gave up on the team early and question their ability to recover and be competitive for a playoff spot.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

If Gardner can't make it back, we need to call Dickerson up.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    Ain't that the truth.

Losing Pineda, Mo and Robertson would devastate most teams. It is amazing that NYY finds itself at the top of the toughest division in MLB. Kudos to Cash for building the depth we're witnessing now.
    And let's not forget Gardner. We lost 3 pitchers and our starting Left Fielder. And that's not stopping us. We are still in first place. Please Mets take 2 of three from the Rays at least. And Yankees I would really like a sweep.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    If Gardner can't make it back, we need to call Dickerson up.
    What has Dickeson done in the majors that makes him better than Wise?

Younger.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Younger.
    That's not a good enough reason for the amount of playing time we're talking about.

NYYF Legend

You mean besides posting 100 point higher career OBP?

That's not a good enough reason for the amount of playing time we're talking about.
    Wise is a career 60 OPS+ hitter over 900 PAs in parts of 10 seasons. He's repeatedly shown he's a very, very bad offensive baseball player.

Dickerson is nothing special but he offers the upside of a league average bat, especially against RHP while providing league average or better defense at all 3 OF spots.

Wise is nothing more than a late inning defensive replacement.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

It was years ago and SSS, but he hit very well in his first two partial seasons. I've said before that he's a bit frustrating for me because to my unprofessional eye his swing looks like it should produce more offense than it does. I think he has more ability than Wise, who is a proven lost cause at the plate. Said another way, it wouldn't surprise me to get league average offense/defense/baserunning out of Dickerson, but I'd be shocked to get anything of value out of Wise's bat. He's also producing (albeit at AAA) right now whereas Wise looks terrible even by his own pedestrian standards, so perhaps Dickerson could give us a little run of acceptable production.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    You mean besides posting 100 point higher career OBP?

Wise is a career 60 OPS+ hitter over 900 PAs in parts of 10 seasons. He's repeatedly shown he's a very, very bad offensive baseball player.

Dickerson is nothing special but he offers the upside of a league average bat, especially against RHP while providing league average or better defense at all 3 OF spots.

Wise is nothing more than a late inning defensive replacement.
    Dickerson doesn't get me excited with his less than 600 at bats. If Gardner is gone for a long period of time, I rather Cashman look for a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    It was years ago and SSS, but he hit very well in his first two partial seasons. I've said before that he's a bit frustrating for me because to my unprofessional eye his swing looks like it should produce more offense than it does. I think he has more ability than Wise, who is a proven lost cause at the plate. Said another way, it wouldn't surprise me to get league average offense/defense/baserunning out of Dickerson, but I'd be shocked to get anything of value out of Wise's bat. He's also producing (albeit at AAA) right now whereas Wise looks terrible even by his own pedestrian standards, so perhaps Dickerson could give us a little run of acceptable production.
    I hear ya, but neither guy excites me offensively.

NYYF Legend

Dickerson doesn't get me excited with his less than 600 at bats. If Gardner is gone for a long period of time, I rather Cashman look for a better option.
    I would not heistate to kick Dickerson to the curb for a better option but that doesn't change my opinion that Dickerson >> Wise right now.

Why not DFA Wise now, add Dickerson and look to improve the position by trade?

So in 582 PAs Dickerson has a .266/.351/.399 slash line (98 OPS+) while in 904 PAs Wise owns a .217/.253/.367 slash line for a 60 OPS+

I agree than Dickerson isn't an "exciting" option. I just think Wise is a putrid option.
    Baseball is life;

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Agreed, and I'm sure he would have if the reports weren't positive only to be followed up by a few setbacks.

I hear ya, but neither guy excites me offensively.
    I certainly don't get excited either, but Wise is proven dead weight and it seems like they're keeping him here for fear of losing him. Even if it's marginal, I'm confident Dickerson can outproduce Wise until that better solution you're referring to can be found.

I would not heistate to kick Dickerson to the curb for a better option but that doesn't change my opinion that Dickerson >> Wise right now.

I don't see much difference in them so you're asking the wrong person.

So in 582 PAs Dickerson has a .266/.351/.399 slash line (98 OPS+) while in 904 PAs Wise owns a .217/.253/.367 slash line for a 60 OPS+

I agree than Dickerson isn't an "exciting" option. I just think Wise is a putrid option.
    Sigh, Vlad just got out of his contract with the Jays. If only he were 6 years younger.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by machphantom View Post
    Sigh, Vlad just got out of his contract with the Jays. If only he were 6 years younger.
    Or if he knees were 15 years younger.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

I don't see much difference in them so you're asking the wrong person.
    Dickerson has roughly a league average offensive line in his career. Wise has a line that is reminicent of a back up catcher, poor utility infielder or marginal hitting pitcher and you don't see a difference between the two?
    Baseball is life;

Dickerson has roughly a league average offensive line in his career. Wise has a line that is reminicent of a back up catcher, poor utility infielder or marginal hitting pitcher and you don't see a difference between the two?
    I already said I didn't see much difference especially when Wise isn't getting any significant at bats. If he was getting such at bats then I might change my mind. Anyhow, carry on.

NYYF Legend

I already said I didn't see much difference especially when Wise isn't getting any significant at bats. If he was getting such at bats then I might change my mind. Anyhow, carry on.
    He's not getting ABs becuase he sucks.

With Dickerson Girardi as at least has the option of DHing Ibanez and putting Dickerson in LF v RHP.

With Wise he's pretty much playing down a man.
    Baseball is life;

He's not getting ABs becuase he sucks.

With Dickerson Girardi as at least has the option of DHing Ibanez and putting Dickerson in LF v RHP.

With Wise he's pretty much playing down a man.
    I'll give you the last word as it's not a big issue for me either way.

Thread Information