+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 198 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 69 119 ... LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

All good now. The team was just going through some Swish-Personality Withdwawal.
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

I don't mean to sound like a big crybaby but why does ESPN keep showing that same old commercial of the Rays clinching the AL wild card against the Yankees last year?

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    I don't mean to sound like a big crybaby but why does ESPN keep showing that same old commercial of the Rays clinching the AL wild card against the Yankees last year?

Just a guess - 'Cause Longoria's game winner capped off The Greatest Night in Baseball
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    I couldn't have been happier for the Yankees to lose that game.

NYYF Triple Crown

Yesterday was the first time in his career that Carlos Pena had 4 strikeouts and grounded into a double play.

NYYF Legend

As frustrating as the blown save was, it was worse watching us make Niemann look like a great pitcher again..and when we could have had him on the ropes, we let him escape. In the 2nd inning, we're up 1-0 with men on 1st and 2nd, no outs, and a guy who's having a spate of wildness on the mound. Up steps Martin who can't hit his way out of a paper bag right now, who takes 2 balls, and then swings at 2 more, before grounding into a force out at 3rd. Why he was given the green light at 2-0 is beyond me. We can't get a guy over to 3rd base with less than 2 outs and sure enough, Wise flies out the next at bat. Little things like that cost us runs, and happen far too often with this team.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    As frustrating as the blown save was, it was worse watching us make Niemann look like a great pitcher again..and when we could have had him on the ropes, we let him escape. In the 2nd inning, we're up 1-0 with men on 1st and 2nd, no outs, and a guy who's having a spate of wildness on the mound. Up steps Martin who can't hit his way out of a paper bag right now, who takes 2 balls, and then swings at 2 more, before grounding into a force out at 3rd. Why he was given the green light at 2-0 is beyond me. We can't get a guy over to 3rd base with less than 2 outs and sure enough, Wise flies out the next at bat. Little things like that cost us runs, and happen far too often with this team.
    Since Martin has been in a slump why not have him try to bunt the runners over? One of the problems with this team is Girardi refuses to try to make things happen. Bunts and Hit and runs are rarely called. If you are not going to have your 8th place hitter batting .184 try to sacrifice the runners over then when do you call for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Since Martin has been in a slump why not have him try to bunt the runners over? One of the problems with this team is Girardi refuses to try to make things happen. Bunts and Hit and runs are rarely called. If you are not going to have your 8th place hitter batting .184 try to sacrifice the runners over then when do you call for it.
    Hopefully never. Martin's true talent level isn't a .184 hitter, thus bunting guys over is a net negative.

NYYF Legend

I didn't have a problem with him not bunting. I had a problem with him swinging before Niemann got a strike over. He walked the previous hitter to put runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs, and went 2-0 on Martin who's hitting under .200. Even if Niemann throws the next pitch for a strike common baseball strategy is to make him throw one over before swinging. Instead, Martin swings at the next pitch, which was low and would have been ball 3, and even if he did put it into play, would have probably resulted in a double play. Then he swings at another pitch which looked like a low ball. It makes no sense. Given the Yankees' lack of success against Niemann in the past, it wasn't hard to figure that having escaped another jam after giving up a run in the 1st, he would give the Yanks fits the rest of the game. I can't believe Martin had the green light in that situation, so I'm calling Girardi's game strategy into question.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

NYYF Legend

Someone explain to me how Montero was jettison out of town because of bad defense. Yet Nunez is sent out there almost everyday, is allowed to make error after error.

They talk up his bat but it's not in the same league as Montero.

This organization decision making is becoming laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Someone explain to me how Montero was jettison out of town because of bad defense. Yet Nunez is sent out there almost everyday, is allowed to make error after error.

That's not exactly how it went down.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Montero was not jettison'd out for bad defense. He was traded because a young starting pitcher with #1 potential was more valuable to the Yankees than a player who would play DH on this team.

NYYF Legend

You can look at it from either angle.

It's a combination of both. imo. Traded because defense isn't good + young pitcher available.

It's a combination of both. imo. Traded because defense isn't good + young pitcher available.
    Yeah I can see that, but even if his defense was average, the Yankees still make that trade. The only way Montero was more valuable to the Yankees than a potential #1 with 5 years of team control was if he had gold glove caliber defense and/or great game calling to go along with that hitting - Joe Mauer, etc.

which doesnt apply to Nunez

NYYF MVP

Is it just me or is there a significant increase of Yankees games finishing in under 3 hours (so far this season)? Seems so.

Erik Boland ‏ @eboland11 Girardi on Gardner: "I don't think this is going 2 be a 3 month thing but unfortuntly I think we're going 2 be w/o him 4 another 15-25 days"

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    Is it just me or is there a significant increase of Yankees games finishing in under 3 hours (so far this season)? Seems so.
    Guys are a lot older........nappy times

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Hit and runs yes. Sac bunts no. Suprise bunts/drag bunts sometimes.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    I couldn't have been happier for the Yankees to lose that game.
    Ditto, I was however irritated how we lost.

Kinda wish the starters were given an inning and then Scranton given the nod.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Erik Boland ‏ @eboland11 Girardi on Gardner: "I don't think this is going 2 be a 3 month thing but unfortuntly I think we're going 2 be w/o him 4 another 15-25 days"
    What the hell? I read on RAB about him coming back next week. This truly is a terrible season.

Pretty good series win vs. TB. Could've been a sweep, but there's 12 games left with them.

Move on to win another one against the Seattle Mariners with Jesus Montero coming to town.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

Rob Thompson "Guy thrown out at home with no outs" tracker: 2

Despite their uneven play so far, the Yanks would be in the playoffs if the season ended today. They're going to get hot at some point and be a legit World Series contender, not to take anything away from Texas which looks like the favorites in the AL.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

I'd like to withdraw every stupid thing I said about not keeping Ibanez in the off season.

This is turning into one of those Chilli Davis, Darryl Strawberry, David Justice veteran additions we used to make during the dynasty years.

Thread Information