+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 198 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    There were no outs.
    Oh - I understand that.
    My opinion is that the Yankees didn't lose any runs there. If someone follows the out at the plate with a hit, then I can understand. But they didn't.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Oh - I understand that.
    My opinion is that the Yankees didn't lose any runs there. If someone follows the out at the plate with a hit, then I can understand. But they didn't.
    Can I borrow your time machine please?

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Last night's move was an epic fail for 10 different reasons, but I don't recall any as bad as that.
    Meacham and Berra come to mind.

Now, Gene Michaels was the third base coach that day (Aug 4, '84), and the double tag-out wasn't his fault. Berra was screaming around the bases with his head down, not paying attention to anything. But, from an epic-fail-standpoint, yesterday's wave-through had nothing on Meacham/Berra. Not even close.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

Now, Gene Michaels was the third base coach that day (Aug 4, '84), and the double tag-out wasn't his fault. Berra was screaming around the bases with his head down, not paying attention to anything. But, from an epic-fail-standpoint, yesterday's wave-through had nothing on Meacham/Berra. Not even close.
    Years ago I saw Bobby Murcer in Detroit try to pull an Enos Slaughter and score from 1B on a single (it was a 3-2 count and he was running on the pitch). He was thrown out by about 30 feet. That was pretty embarrassing, too..... but yeah, nothing will match the Meacham/Berra double tag out.

(And I recall someone trying to score from 2B on a fly out at the old stadium and he was thrown out by a wide margin. I want to say Roy White but I'm not positive on that one)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

No doubt, totally agree, but I was referring specifically to Rob Thompson's penchant for waving them in. I termed it an epic fail because only someone on bath salts would have sent Swish given the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    No doubt, totally agree, but I was referring specifically to Rob Thompson's penchant for waving them in. I termed it an epic fail because only someone on bath salts would have sent Swish given the circumstances.
    I don't understand this.

Here, you're making it out as if Weiters had the ball before Swisher touched 3rd base.
    It was much closer than that. Any kind of throw offline, even a little offline, and Swish is safe.
    The Yankees were unfortuate that the O's executed a very good relay.

It's part of the game.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

I don't understand this.

Here, you're making it out as if Weiters had the ball before Swisher touched 3rd base.
    It was much closer than that. Any kind of throw offline, even a little offline, and Swish is safe.
    The Yankees were unfortuate that the O's executed a very good relay.

It's part of the game.
    I agree. I don't think it was insane that he sent him in terms of his odds of beating the throw, but given the situation at the time he should have held him unless he was certain. No outs, heart of the order coming up, Swisher's groin issue, etc. That really shouldn't be a roll the dice scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I agree. I don't think it was insane that he sent him in terms of his odds of beating the throw, but given the situation at the time he should have held him unless he was certain. No outs, heart of the order coming up, Swisher's groin issue, etc. That really shouldn't be a roll the dice scenario.
    yeah - I don't know. All I know is they won. And that's all that effin matters.

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Happy with the sweep against a pesky Orioles team. Nice way to gain momentum heading into the first homestand of the season.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

Oh - I understand that.
    How dare you subscribe to the fallacy of the predetermined outcome. I shun you.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Happy with the sweep against a pesky Orioles team. Nice way to gain momentum heading into the first homestand of the season.
    were gona need it too with a pumped up puljos coming to town.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    With Torii Hunter hitting behind him, I doubt the Yankee pitchers will give him anything to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    We don't have to face Weaver or Haren, though, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Same as an attempted steal of 3rd base with 2 outs. It's a good idea, but you better stinkin' make it.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Same as an attempted steal of 3rd base with 2 outs. It's a good idea, but you better stinkin' make it.
    Most of the time stealing 3B with two outs is a dumb idea, unless you happen to be Ricky Henderson.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    He gets paid well enough to be able to calculate odds during the play.
    Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mathematician.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Some fun facts.

Our pitching staff has a K/9 of 10.57.

And Ibanez leads the team in steals.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Because I had some time to kill, I looked at the possible pitching matchups for the current 13 consecutive games the Yankees have before the off day on the 26th.
    Assuming the Yankees give both CC and Garcia an extra day of rest instead of normal rest for CC and +2 days for Garcia, barring rainouts there are some interesting games...

13 vsLAA Kuroda vs Santana (W 5-0)
    14 vsLAA Hughes vs Wilson
    15 vsLAA Nova vs Williams
    16 vsMIN Garcia vs Pavano
    17 vsMIN CC vs Liriano
    18 vsMIN Kuroda vs Swarzak
    19 vsMIN Hughes vs Blackburn
    20 @BOS Nova vs Doubront
    21 @BOS CC vs Bard
    22 @BOS Garcia vs Lester
    23 @TEX Kuroda vs Holland
    24 @TEX Hughes vs Harrison
    25 @TEX Nova vs Darvish

Some personal opinions and observations:
    1) Yankees can hopefully go 8-5 if they play how they are capable of playing
    2) CC has two rather lopsided matchups going in his favor
    3) The Nova vs Doubront game would be the first chance between the fans to claim the rights for "the better underhyped homegrown starter" argument
    4) Although they aren't pitching against each other, the TEX series will cause an "I-told-you-so" party no matter how the results end up...heck, since Darvish is pitching against the Twins tomorrow and Kuroda during the next series, I can see someone comparing the results of the two against the same lineup as well

Oh, and assuming the Tigers keep Verlander on a 4 day rest at all times, he's scheduled to pitch on the 16th, 21st, and 26th which will make him miss the Yankees series from 27~29th.
    Yankees starters for that series is either going to be Garcia-CC-Kuroda or CC-Kuroda-Hughes depending on whether they decide to completely skip over Garcia using the off day on the 26th.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Years ago I saw Bobby Murcer in Detroit try to pull an Enos Slaughter and score from 1B on a single (it was a 3-2 count and he was running on the pitch). He was thrown out by about 30 feet. That was pretty embarrassing, too..... but yeah, nothing will match the Meacham/Berra double tag out.

(And I recall someone trying to score from 2B on a fly out at the old stadium and he was thrown out by a wide margin. I want to say Roy White but I'm not positive on that one)

Since I am one of greatest Roy White fans in the world, I have to dismiss this accusation.

He was not perfect and I cannot prove you wrong. However some of those horrible Yankee teams he played on...............perhaps called for some desperate measures which I will excucse him for.

"Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    nice.
    Rocking that "arrogant Yankee fan" attitude.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

In related news, the front office of the 4-2 Mets, who opened the season with three straight victories, cautioned fans that the team may not win another game in 2012

A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Because I had some time to kill, I looked at the possible pitching matchups for the current 13 consecutive games the Yankees have before the off day on the 26th.
    Assuming the Yankees give both CC and Garcia an extra day of rest instead of normal rest for CC and +2 days for Garcia, barring rainouts there are some interesting games...

13 vsLAA Kuroda vs Santana (W 5-0)
    14 vsLAA Hughes vs Wilson
    15 vsLAA Nova vs Williams
    16 vsMIN Garcia vs Pavano
    17 vsMIN CC vs Liriano
    18 vsMIN Kuroda vs Swarzak
    19 vsMIN Hughes vs Blackburn
    20 @BOS Nova vs Doubront
    21 @BOS CC vs Bard
    22 @BOS Garcia vs Lester
    23 @TEX Kuroda vs Holland
    24 @TEX Hughes vs Harrison
    25 @TEX Nova vs Darvish

Some personal opinions and observations:
    1) Yankees can hopefully go 8-5 if they play how they are capable of playing
    2) CC has two rather lopsided matchups going in his favor
    3) The Nova vs Doubront game would be the first chance between the fans to claim the rights for "the better underhyped homegrown starter" argument
    4) Although they aren't pitching against each other, the TEX series will cause an "I-told-you-so" party no matter how the results end up...heck, since Darvish is pitching against the Twins tomorrow and Kuroda during the next series, I can see someone comparing the results of the two against the same lineup as well

Oh, and assuming the Tigers keep Verlander on a 4 day rest at all times, he's scheduled to pitch on the 16th, 21st, and 26th which will make him miss the Yankees series from 27~29th.
    Yankees starters for that series is either going to be Garcia-CC-Kuroda or CC-Kuroda-Hughes depending on whether they decide to completely skip over Garcia using the off day on the 26th.
    you need a hobby

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

Game tonight.........just may have a campfire..............

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Game tonight.........just may have a campfire..............
    This is the first time I get to say this in 2012 season (but certainly not the last)- I hate when the Yankees are scheduled for Sunday Night Baseball!

Thread Information