+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 198 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 58 108 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 General Yankee Comments Thread

I had gone to the store at the start of the game-- it was 2-0 Sox when I got out of the car. By the time I put the game on on the way home, it was 9-1 after the sixth. I didn't turn the game on when I got home, figuring it was a done deal.

On checking my email, I got an alert about Humber's perfect game. I clicked on ESPN and while I was reading the story, I noticed the score of the Yankees game was now 9-8. I said something along the lines of 'Holy F***' and watched it from there...
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I had gone to the store at the start of the game-- it was 2-0 Sox when I got out of the car. By the time I put the game on on the way home, it was 9-1 after the sixth. I didn't turn the game on when I got home, figuring it was a done deal.

On checking my email, I got an alert about Humber's perfect game. I clicked on ESPN and while I was reading the story, I noticed the score of the Yankees game was now 9-8. I said something along the lines of 'Holy F***' and watched it from there...
    I started following the game after Swisher's homer.

NYYF Triple Crown

Holy F. What an effin game that I did not even bother watching since I thought "they're going to lose anyway".

This ranks as one of their best games EVAR.

And this crow is delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post

I watched the first few innings, and when it got out of hand I turned on the TV in the backyard and got started on some yard work. So I was a bit distracted, but on Fox they cut away for a post-game interview with Humber... and then they cut back to the game and it was 9-5 after Swisher's homerun.

Not sure if I missed it due to my multi-tasking or what... but did Fox cut away for the start of that epic comeback and not show Swisher's grand slam live?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees13 View Post
    Favorite regular season game of all-time?
    Not even my favorite 9 run comeback by the Yanks. Nine runs is the largest comeback the yankees have ever had and they have done it 5 times. I was fortunate enough to be at two of them.

I was at the Stadium on June 26, 1987 when the Yanks went down 4-0 after the first and 9-0 after the second. Starting pitchers were Tommy John for the Yanks and Roger Clemons for the sox.The Yanks score 11 in the third. The sox tied the score in the top of the 4th.

The game went to the 10th inning.

Mike Pagliarulo started the 10th inning with a lead-off walk off Calvin Schiraldi. Rick Cerone bunted him to second and Wayne Tolleson singled to knock Pags in for the game winner.

I was also at the Stadium for the Yanks / Rangers game on May 16, 2006 when the rangers scored 2 in the first and 7 in the second.

That was the game that Teixeira collided with Posada at the plate.

The Rangers scored in the top of the 9th to take a 13-12 lead.

With 2 out in the bottom of the 9th and Damon on second, Posada hit a 2 run homer to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Not even my favorite 9 run comeback by the Yanks. Nine runs is the largest comeback the yankees have ever had and they have done it 5 times. I was fortunate enough to be at two of them.

I was at the Stadium on June 26, 1987 when the Yanks went down 4-0 after the first and 9-0 after the second. Starting pitchers were Tommy John for the Yanks and Roger Clemons for the sox.The Yanks score 11 in the third. The sox tied the score in the top of the 4th.

The game went to the 10th inning.

Mike Pagliarulo started the 10th inning with a lead-off walk off Calvin Schiraldi. Rick Cerone bunted him to second and Wayne Tolleson singled to knock Pags in for the game winner.

I was also at the Stadium for the Yanks / Rangers game on May 16, 2006 when the rangers scored 2 in the first and 7 in the second.

That was the game that Teixeira collided with Posada at the plate.

The Rangers scored in the top of the 9th to take a 13-12 lead.

With 2 out in the bottom of the 9th and Damon on second, Posada hit a 2 run homer to win the game.
    The comback in '87 was special because it was against an in-his-prime Clemens, but this one was on par with it for me. Simply because of the absolute and immediate shift in dominance late in the game, during the Sox' Green Catastrophe Festivus.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I watched the first few innings, and when it got out of hand I turned on the TV in the backyard and got started on some yard work. So I was a bit distracted, but on Fox they cut away for a post-game interview with Humber... and then they cut back to the game and it was 9-5 after Swisher's homerun.

Not sure if I missed it due to my multi-tasking or what... but did Fox cut away for the start of that epic comeback and not show Swisher's grand slam live?
    I turned to the Humber's game after Tex hit the first HR. After watching the perfect game and I had found that Yankees cut the lead to 9-5 so I also missed the Swisher's HR.

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    I turned to the Humber's game after Tex hit the first HR. After watching the perfect game and I had found that Yankees cut the lead to 9-5 so I also missed the Swisher's HR.
    Unless I'm mistaken, EVERYONE missed it. Like I said I was multi-tasking in the yard, but I thought FOX cut away to a post-game interview with Humber thinking the Yanks/Sox was a snoozer, and then the bases load up for the Swisher grand slam. I think when they cut back Buck even commented on how "the game changed" while FOX cut away.

Can anyone confirm?

Forum Regular

Fox cut away and the grandslam was not shown live. While I feel Fox should have showed the end of the perfect game it should have been a split screen with both games being shown.

Unless I'm mistaken, EVERYONE missed it. Like I said I was multi-tasking in the yard, but I thought FOX cut away to a post-game interview with Humber thinking the Yanks/Sox was a snoozer, and then the bases load up for the Swisher grand slam. I think when they cut back Buck even commented on how "the game changed" while FOX cut away.

Can anyone confirm?
    Correct. Unless the game is/was available on MLB extra innings or MLB.tv, then there was no way to see Swisher's GS because FOX went to the Humber PG for the 9th inning. I can't remember how exclusive FOX's mlb rights are, so I don't know if the game(s) were available anywhere other than on FOX.

Quote Originally Posted by yankswun96 View Post
    Fox cut away and the grandslam was not shown live. While I feel Fox should have showed the end of the perfect game it should have been a split screen with both games being shown.
    agreed

NYYF MVP

Was walking around in Manhattan (with Walkman radio) because I didn't wanna get on the train to go home yet - it was 9-0 when I stopped at the Rangers rally in front of the Garden and me & this guy were saying how it would be easy for the Yankees to score twice that many lol. Yanks started scoring, I kept walking --- and walking -- like Forrest Gump and becoming starving. Peeking into restaurants whose menus looked appealing and chastised them for not having the game on. Ended up waiting till the game was over to eat. Suffice to say, I got some pretty strange looks as things transpired.
    Cheered up some Rangers fans at Penn Station with the recap.

NYYF Legend

April 21, and all's right with the world!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankswun96 View Post
    I'm pretty furious with Fox. I had to go out and missed most of the game as it was happening. I DVR'd the game and when I got back I watched the whole thing from the beginning. I knew they had a big rally in the seventh so I sat happily through all the six long innings while they were going down 9-1. And then came the seventh, and they had a man on base and Nunez was batting with one out and all of a sudden they're cutting away and I can't watch the Yankee game any more?

And then when the damb perfect game was FINALLY over they had to go on drooling and drooling about it for about fifteen minutes before they could go back to the Yankee game, and I missed seeing the bases get loaded and I missed seeing the grand slam by Swisher.

NYYF MVP

That stinks, -tz.

Oh wanna menton this where it'll be seen by fans who may want to do this, but don't wanna bump the "Perfume" thread (can't find it anyways), or put it in his Performance one:

Mo's gonna be at the Macy's at 4 pm on Thursday the 26th. Saw his pic in their window walking by, and just wanted to pass it on. Gotta buy Yankees perfume (IIRC $160.) but the 1st 200 people get a baseball signed by Mo. (I guess he'll be autographing the perfume after the first 200 who get the BBalls? It said that your own stuff can't be signed.)

as great as yesterday's game was, any type of win tonight against a team admitting "rock bottom" could be just as sweet. just rip their hearts out and watch the chaos ensue

Can anyone confirm?
    They did, I was following the game on my iPhone with the At Bat app when Swisher homered. I didn't actually watch the game again on Fox until the Yanks went ahead in the 8th.

I said this in spring training.
    I thought Bobby V's poking of the Yankees might backfire, usually Boston owns us early.
    Add in the 100th celebration where Millar and Pedro further poked us (Pedro said our 27 titles don't matter and that all anyone remembers and should remember is the 2004 ALCS), and I think you might have a Yankees team that behind closed doors is ticked off and motivated.

I know the Sox have their own issues, infighting, manager issues, injuries and a bullpen that could be upgraded by simply signing some of the posters here, but still, you wonder if poking the big sleeping bear may have backfired a bit.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    as great as yesterday's game was, any type of win tonight against a team admitting "rock bottom" could be just as sweet. just rip their hearts out and watch the chaos ensue
    Valentine's seeking a little false comfort by claiming this is rock bottom. I don't think they are now magically going to turn it around just because they suffered their worst, most humiliating loss of a so far disappointing season. Usually, just when you think it can't get any worse, it gets a little worse. Brace yourself, Bobby.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Valentine's seeking a little false comfort by claiming this is rock bottom. I don't think they are now magically going to turn it around just because they suffered their worst, most humiliating loss of a so far disappointing season. Usually, just when you think it can't get any worse, it gets a little worse. Brace yourself, Bobby.
    " ... The worst is not,
    So long as we can say 'This is the worst.'" (King Lear)

NYYF Triple Crown

I'll be honest, I shut the game off when it was 9-0 and my girlfriend came over. We were watching Armageddon when I got an ESPN alert saying the Yankees went up 10-9. Armageddon was promptly turned off.

But wow, what a fantastic game. My personal favorite was from 2009, when the Yankees and Sox went 15 innings without a run till A-Rod hit a 2-run homer off Tazawa to win the game.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Looks like tonight's game won't be played. Which isn't all bad as we could save Sabathia for Texas where he'll be more needed.
    Life is good!

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post
    I'll be honest, I shut the game off when it was 9-0 and my girlfriend came over. We were watching Armageddon when I got an ESPN alert saying the Yankees went up 10-9. Armageddon was promptly turned off.

But wow, what a fantastic game. My personal favorite was from 2009, when the Yankees and Sox went 15 innings without a run till A-Rod hit a 2-run homer off Tazawa to win the game.
    I did the same thing. I resigned myself to the fact that we had lost the game and it would be pointless and a waste of my time to watch their eventual defeat.

I mean, seriously. The last time the Yankees made a 9 run comeback was against a terrible Boston team back in 87' and I was only 2 at the time. This was supposed to be the Greatest Team Ever last year, certainly they couldn't blow a 9 run lead.

Have the Yankees ever blown a 9 run lead? Certainly probably hasn't happened in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Dude View Post
    Certainly probably hasn't happened in my lifetime.
    You can legally choose only one of those.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information