+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Breaking Bad (Season 5)

What a bunch of miserable people on this show.

That was a slow-moving episode, but still enjoyable. I had a major problem with Walt seemingly not understanding the concept of overhead when divying up the gross. He was acting like addict Jesse from seasons 1-3.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post

That was a slow-moving episode, but still enjoyable. I had a major problem with Walt seemingly not understanding the concept of overhead when divying up the gross. He was acting like addict Jesse from seasons 1-3.
    Their new plan for cooking, doesn't seem as airtight to me as it seems to Walt. I think it'll be interesting what kinks get thrown into their plans.
    Masahiro Tanaka, 24-0 in 2013. He's the Japanese Jack Bauer.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    Their new plan for cooking, doesn't seem as airtight to me as it seems to Walt. I think it'll be interesting what kinks get thrown into their plans.
    Yeah, it's clear that things are going to fall apart, it's just an issue of when in the two 8 ep seasons it happens (so is the focus on it falling apart, or othe aftermath?), who kills whom, and what the collateral damage is with regards to characters like Walt Jr, Skylar, Marie, etc.

I had a major problem with Walt seemingly not understanding the concept of overhead when divying up the gross. He was acting like addict Jesse from seasons 1-3.
    I don't disagree with you, but as you can see Walt is becoming overconfident. He has been since ep 1 this year. He has changed. This is going to be his demise. Killing Gus makes him feel invincible. And that, my friend, is what gets all bad guys caught. And as much as we want to admit it or not, in society Walt is a bad guy.

Case in point, the lap top. When in any season had Walt EVER not made SURE a task was completed? This was the first instance I can remember that Walt ever let faith in success be enough over proof of it.

I have to say I am thrilled Mike is such a major character this year. I had underestimated him in previous season simply because he was a semi-secondary character. I don't know if the show is just genius about actors, or the writing is just that damn brilliant. But ever since last year when Mike and Jessie began hanging with each other I have begun to love him as a character every bit as Gus, or Walt, or Jessie. This year is going along just as hoped. This show NEVER disappoints. I feared when Gus died it would take a turn for the worse. Glad I was wrong.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

PS- this show is NOT going to have a happy ending. I am convinced.

In that last scene when Walt was talking about the guy that got his throat cut-- was he saying that like it could happen to Jesse or Mike?

I mean he said it to Jesse, but was he talking about Mike? That's the impression I got.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    PS- this show is NOT going to have a happy ending. I am convinced.
    I'm beginning to think it's going to come down to a showdown between Walt and Mike. It may explain why he needs a machine gun.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    In that last scene when Walt was talking about the guy that got his throat cut-- was he saying that like it could happen to Jesse or Mike?

I mean he said it to Jesse, but was he talking about Mike? That's the impression I got.
    No I think it was an epiphany. Now that he is generally speaking in Gus's position, he gets it. I'm not sure at the moment he was directing that at anyone. But I could be wrong.

I'm beginning to think it's going to come down to a showdown between Walt and Mike. It may explain why he needs a machine gun.
    Or what a twist it would make if the bond between Jessie and Walt was broken?

No I think it was an epiphany. Now that he is generally speaking in Gus's position, he gets it. I'm not sure at the moment he was directing that at anyone. But I could be wrong.
    It seemed too coincidental that he just had the issue with Mike, and then he broke out that story about how Gus killed that guy not as a message to Walt, but because he was overstepping his role.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

. And as much as we want to admit it or not, in society Walt is a bad guy.

Is there anyone left that DOESN'T see Walt as a bad guy at this point?

It seemed too coincidental that he just had the issue with Mike, and then he broke out that story about how Gus killed that guy not as a message to Walt, but because he was overstepping his role.
    You're right. But if Walt sees Mike as overstepping his role then you are right about the end. The agreement was that it was a 3 way business, Mike handles the business, no questions asked. That was the agreement. If anyone was overstepping their role, it was Walt, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Is there anyone left that DOESN'T see Walt as a bad guy at this point?
    True but don't we all have a little hope he gets away with it and rides off into the sunset with his wife and family taken care of behind him?

NYYF Legend

Why is Walt telling Jesse to tell the people he loves about what he's doing?

This seems so anti-Walt. Something fishy is going on with that.

Also, another thing that comes with being owners of the business now, is a lot more exposure to a lot of different people who work for them. When they were under Gus, they had a lot more anonymity.

Also looking forward to what happens with Friday Night Lights redhead kid, who obviously has a decent part since he's a semi-well-known actor...or else they're just going to bring him on the show to kill him off gruesomely...something like that.

NYYF Legend

I actually got the impression he was talking about Jesse to Jesse.

Victor was killed because he was overstepping his bounds by cooking a batch of meth without permission - even though it was probably beneficial to Gus for him to demonstrate that he knew how. He was presenting a "solution" and intimidating the opposition simultaneously, but the problem was that Gus never asked him to do this; he was acting on his own accord. That's the ultimate insult to a boss - it's saying that he can't handle things himself, so his underlings have to think/act for him.

We saw the same thing with Tuco in season one when his underling told Walt and Jesse "remember who you work for". It wasn't that he said the wrong thing, it was that he did it without permission from his boss. The guy was summarily beaten to death.

In the scene prior Mike and Walt are going back and forth, and then suddenly Jesse pushes his money to the center of the table to present a "solution". I think Heisenberg took this as an insult because Jesse was fighting his battle, and he was not asked to. He's operating under the all-controlling boss menatlity, and that would equate Jesse's actions to what Victor did from my perspective.

NYYF Legend

Why is Walt telling Jesse to tell the people he loves about what he's doing?

This seems so anti-Walt. Something fishy is going on with that.

Also, another thing that comes with being owners of the business now, is a lot more exposure to a lot of different people who work for them. When they were under Gus, they had a lot more anonymity.
    Because he wanted the girl gone. It was a passive aggressive way to control Jesse and get him to ditch the girl/Brock, as they're a liability to the business.

NYYF Legend

Because he wanted the girl gone. It was a passive aggressive way to control Jesse and get him to ditch the girl/Brock, as they're a liability to the business.
    Haha, interesting. Good insight.

Haha, interesting. Good insight.
    I agree. I actually thought Walt was letting Jesse actually make a decision on his own. But this actually does make sense. Bringing that eventuality to his attention now.

I actually got the impression he was talking about Jesse to Jesse.

Victor was killed because he was overstepping his bounds by cooking a batch of meth without permission - even though it was probably beneficial to Gus for him to demonstrate that he knew how. He was presenting a "solution" and intimidating the opposition simultaneously, but the problem was that Gus never asked him to do this; he was acting on his own accord. That's the ultimate insult to a boss - it's saying that he can't handle things himself, so his underlings have to think/act for him.

We saw the same thing with Tuco in season one when his underling told Walt and Jesse "remember who you work for". It wasn't that he said the wrong thing, it was that he did it without permission from his boss. The guy was summarily beaten to death.

In the scene prior Mike and Walt are going back and forth, and then suddenly Jesse pushes his money to the center of the table to present a "solution". I think Heisenberg took this as an insult because Jesse was fighting his battle, and he was not asked to. He's operating under the all-controlling boss menatlity, and that would equate Jesse's actions to what Victor did from my perspective.
    I think the girlfriend thing was about control of Jesse and the throat cut thing was about control of Mike. "Remember who you work for" sounds an awful lot like "He runs the business, and I run him" or whatever it was he said about Mike.

EDIT: And last week he asserted his control over Saul.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

I like how Landry from FNL is one of the pest control dudes.

Makes me think he'll take on a bigger role later in the season.

NYYF Legend

He's talking about anyone who gets in his way.
    She sits there so refined and drinks herself half blind
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson -

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I like how Landry from FNL is one of the pest control dudes.

Makes me think he'll take on a bigger role later in the season.
    There is no question he'll have a bigger role. Maybe undercover DEA/cop of sorts. Mike said that these guys are professional B&E guys, so there's a chance that the cops know about them. Maybe he doesn't know who Jesse and Walt are, but he may end up making some connection.

Walt watching Scarface with his kids was nice. He made the comment, "doesn't everybody die in this movie?" Could be foreshadowing. Also, the way he just slowly looked and stared at Brock while sitting on the couch was a bit chilling. Cranston is the man.

Great show, and the preview for next week looks fantastic. Can't believe there are only 5 left for this summer.

I think he understood the concept of overhead. I think he just believes the some of the people identified as overhead (namely Mike's "guys") are unnecessary expenses.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pjfan View Post
    There is no question he'll have a bigger role. Maybe undercover DEA/cop of sorts. Mike said that these guys are professional B&E guys, so there's a chance that the cops know about them. Maybe he doesn't know who Jesse and Walt are, but he may end up making some connection.

Walt watching Scarface with his kids was nice. He made the comment, "doesn't everybody die in this movie?" Could be foreshadowing. Also, the way he just slowly looked and stared at Brock while sitting on the couch was a bit chilling. Cranston is the man.

Great show, and the preview for next week looks fantastic. Can't believe there are only 5 left for this summer.
    Agreed on all points.

It's funny because I always felt the show was similar to Scarface in that Walt starts at the bottom and slowly kills his way to the top, like Tony. Could definitely be foreshadowing.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I think he understood the concept of overhead. I think he just believes the some of the people identified as overhead (namely Mike's "guys") are unnecessary expenses.
    Yeah, exactly.

He didn't realize the exorbitant overhead costs he'd incur while doing biz with Mike.

NYYF Legend

I disagree. If I remember correctly, Walt runs the math on the GROSS figure as compared to what they used to NET before, and comments on it in a disappointing way as being slightly less. THEN Mike starts down the overhead and Walt is flumoxed by most of it, then angry about the hush money specifically. He wasn't even thinking there would be anything taken out of the stack he had in front of him.

I agree in principle, that Walt should obviously understand that now that he's the boss he's going ot incur additional expenses, but the way that scene was written and acted didn't convey that to me at all.

Thread Information