+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

Lest anyone forget, Meals screwed Pittsburgh even worse than he did the Yankees. Here's the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnGomyAGYJQ

In perfect position to make the right call and blowing it. Really makes you wonder whether it's just a blown call, or something worse. When are bad umpires going to be held accountable for their actions? Is the union that powerful and is Selig that inept?
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Meals behind home plate today... oh boy

Cody Ross' strikeout in the eighth:

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

^ It was at worst, a borderline call that was essentially no worse than pitch 5 which went in Ross's favor. It did not warrant the over the top reaction, nor the excessive whining from the ESPN crew who was calling the game.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

I still don't get how they can use a single point to represent a ball moving through 3-dimensional space.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I still don't get how they can use a single point to represent a ball moving through 3-dimensional space.
    I've made this point a few times as well. Depending on the plane used to intercept the ball's path (assumed to be perpendicular to the ground and parallel with the front edge of home plate, but at some unspecified "depth" relative to the front of the plate), the plot will look quite different.

Watching in real time, I thought the pitch was over the plate for at least the front end of its path as it crossed the plate, moving further down and away by the time it hit the glove.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

In real-time, I thought the pitch was definitely low. When they showed the side replay, it looked like it clipped his knee-cap while crossing the plate, which should be a strike...or close to it.

NYYF Legend

Ross should have been called out on pitch 5. Lil Dusty should have been called out on K's before his 4th inning 2B. Phelps was getting hosed in the lower part of the K zone all night. I watched the NESN feed last night and Remy said the same thing. btw.........how bad was ESPN's broadcast last night?? With Nomar and Shill doing the game it must have been painful or, should I say more painful than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by roblyo33 View Post
    Ross should have been called out on pitch 5. Lil Dusty should have been called out on K's before his 4th inning 2B. Phelps was getting hosed in the lower part of the K zone all night. I watched the NESN feed last night and Remy said the same thing. btw.........how bad was ESPN's broadcast last night?? With Nomar and Shill doing the game it must have been painful or, should I say more painful than usual.
    Horrendous. They said Red Sox fans respect Jeter and Mo, and that Yankee fans respect David "Milskshake" Ortiz or Dustin "Gritty Grit 100% All the Time" Pedroia.
    EvilEmpireDC: Fans bitch about anything lol

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by roblyo33 View Post
    They literally sounded like they were going to cry when Ross got called out.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Meals is the 3B umpire for tonight's game. I hope the fans down the line really give it to him.

NYYF Legend

And here we go again with the blown calls.
    At least this one was relatively close.

lol at Jerry Meals cockblocking that double and turning it into a single. If only the baseball didn't hit him even harder.

NYYF Legend

Another disappointing day for ML and the job by their umpires. These games have such meaning to so many teams, I simply do not understand why MLB wants mistakes that are so obvious, to play such a key role in these games. Even without replay, it was clear that the runner was out at first and it ended it costing the Yankees an extra run which they eventually lost by.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Another disappointing day for ML and the job by their umpires. These games have such meaning to so many teams, I simply do not understand why MLB wants mistakes that are so obvious, to play such a key role in these games. Even without replay, it was clear that the runner was out at first and it ended it costing the Yankees an extra run which they eventually lost by.
    Bud Selig is a horse's ass and should be fired. Reportedly this utter buffoon is anti replay due to game delay, which is of course preposterous. No pony express messengers needed, real-time video accuracy is available before the protesting manager gets one foot on the field. Really, perfect games pissed away, fake no hitters granted, two Yankee games booted last few weeks on obviously blown calls. It's a joke and a bad one at that.

NYYF Cy Young

And the umpire - who undoubtedly could have watched the replay - had the nerve to yell at the Yankee bench to shut up when they kept complaining!

balls and strikes were also a big issue throughout the game, starting w A Rod's gross punchout in the first, continuing w Cano and then Swish next inning:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...F&prevDate=923

lots of little red triangles living outside the box.

NYYF MVP

Honestly, the Umpires did not lose this game for us, the sloppy play did. The other team scored on a wild pitch, and a run came around that was from an error. So, it would of been 4 to 3 Yankees. But then again, who knows what would of happened if so and so did not happen. You really never know.

Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers79 View Post
    Honestly, the Umpires did not lose this game for us, the sloppy play did. The other team scored on a wild pitch, and a run came around that was from an error. So, it would of been 4 to 3 Yankees. But then again, who knows what would of happened if so and so did not happen. You really never know.
    true, i'm not big on pinning losses -- which typically have many contributing factors -- on anyone in particular. that said ......... the combo of the clearly blown call at first, giving the As a run, and the largely one-sided funky ball/strike calls rubbed me the wrong way. Hot on the heels of Meals blowing the game for us in BALT on an even worse call and then, incredibly, cock-blocking a double (costing, as fate would have it, a run) in another one-run loss. Not a good stretch !!

PS the good news is, there's probably a place for Jerry Meals in the NFL !!

NYYF Triple Crown

Another atrocity today. If it comes down to the Tex being safe, getting hurt play, may throw some flaming cocktails at that office.

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Another atrocity today. If it comes down to the Tex being safe, getting hurt play, may throw some flaming cocktails at that office.
    hey bud, need a light ......... ??? ........

NYYF Legend

I guess being major league just does not apply to the area of umpiring.

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    Another atrocity today.
    What happened today? I missed the game.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    What happened today? I missed the game.
    Extemely poor strike-zone at home plate today for both teams, a rbi foul ball that really hurt the Yankees, and a blown call at 2nd on Gardners stolen base attempt in the 8th. Other that that, Mrs Lincoln enjoyed the play.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Extemely poor strike-zone at home plate today for both teams, a rbi foul ball that really hurt the Yankees, and a blown call at 2nd on Gardners stolen base attempt in the 8th. Other that that, Mrs Lincoln enjoyed the play.
    What happened there?
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Thread Information