+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 427
  1. #176
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Replay wasn't needed for that one. All the umpire had to do was check Wise's glove.

    He didn't.
    I don't think I've ever seen an umpire not check the glove after a play like that and Wise never did offer to show he had the ball - that's the first thing a player does. That should have tipped him off that he didn't have it. The icing on the cake was the fan showing the ball to everybody in the stadium. If I'd been sitting a little closer than he was, I'd have shoved it into Wise's glove. I would have gotten it back, I'm sure.
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  2. #177
    NYYF Legend

    JfromJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen an umpire not check the glove after a play like that and Wise never did offer to show he had the ball - that's the first thing a player does. That should have tipped him off that he didn't have it. The icing on the cake was the fan showing the ball to everybody in the stadium. If I'd been sitting a little closer than he was, I'd have shoved it into Wise's glove. I would have gotten it back, I'm sure.
    That's the thing though..a fan could have put the ball in his glove and the ump could have asked to see it and incorrectly ruled it a catch. Only a replay would have shown the ball not being caught.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

    It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

  3. #178
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    That's a bad job by the umpire there. He made the out signal before he saw varified possession of the ball.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  4. #179
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    That's the thing though..a fan could have put the ball in his glove and the ump could have asked to see it and incorrectly ruled it a catch. Only a replay would have shown the ball not being caught.
    True, but the fact that he didn't have the ball would have been a pretty strong indication he didn't catch it, even if the ump didn't scan a few seats to the left to see the dude holding the ball in the air.

  5. #180
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philly Burbs

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    This wasn't during a Yankees game but I seen this while following the Nats game on gameday last night and had to put it here:



    Wow...

  6. #181
    NYYF Legend

    35Knucklecurve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Maryland branches, Pennsylvania roots

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    This wasn't during a Yankees game but I seen this while following the Nats game on gameday last night and had to put it here:



    Wow...
    Geez - the 2nd pitch was called a strike?
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

  7. #182
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Feb 2003

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Home plate umpire off to a rough start. Called the runner safe even though he never touched the plate.

  8. #183
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Home plate umpire off to a rough start. Called the runner safe even though he never touched the plate.
    Yeah that was definitely a bad call. His view didn't seem to be blocked in any way either. How could he call him safe? If MLB's ever going to expand instant replay, plays such as that one that involve the scoring of a run (or the non-scoring of a run) should be at the head of the list.

  9. #184
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Randazzo is a terrible umpire...

  10. #185

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    Randazzo is a terrible umpire...
    Can't argue with that

    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  11. #186
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Tex struck out twice because of bad umpiring. Once due to a bad call and then again late in the game he swung at a pitch way outside the zone because he was afraid it would be called a strike.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  12. #187
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    I missed the game. Was Nova getting the same strike zone as Greg Maddox, er I mean, Verlander?
    Pardon, for us.

  13. #188
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I missed the game. Was Nova getting the same strike zone as Greg Maddox, er I mean, Verlander?
    Not really. Mostly because Nova was placing the ball on a tee over the middle of the plate and the Tigers were beating it like a rented mule!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  14. #189
    NYYF Legend

    JfromJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Not really. Mostly because Nova was placing the ball on a tee over the middle of the plate and the Tigers were beating it like a rented mule!
    Wonder if Nova still thinks he's one of the best pitchers in baseball?
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

    It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

  15. #190
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    Wonder if Nova still thinks he's one of the best pitchers in baseball?
    Well - honestly, the fans need to hope he continues to think that way. Otherwise, he'll fail miserably.
    Now, he has not been doing too well the last few starts but really, he's done an OK job. I think it stems from a little fatigue he may be going through which is causing his breaking stuff to hang.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  16. #191
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    So how do the umps get around by Welke admitting that he made a mistake? I don't get it, did they indicate to Joe that they thought the runner would've scored anyway? Anyway, this game got out of hand quickly and ugly.
    "If you're a Yankee fan, or if you're not a Yankee fan - you have to admit, we're [B]winners[/B]."

    Paul O'Neill

  17. #192

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    This is a joke.

  18. #193
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mal1219 View Post
    So how do the umps get around by Welke admitting that he made a mistake? I don't get it, did they indicate to Joe that they thought the runner would've scored anyway? Anyway, this game got out of hand quickly and ugly.
    What is even more amazing is that Joe said in his post game that he was denied the option of protesting because it was a judgement call. And I thought for sure that when Randazzo blew that call of the Infante grounder to Jeter, that was going to be another run. This umpire crew is like reliving the Bataan Death March. Absolutely brutal.

  19. #194
    NYYF Legend

    montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Was listening on Satellite Radio with the Tigers feed...........even they were rolling around laughing.Every call went against theYankees today..................they had to admit that the Bombers deserve the win.......

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

  20. #195
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    This crew didn't impress during this series.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  21. #196
    NYYF Legend

    montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    This crew didn't impress during this series.
    I find the officiating in all sports lacking.........

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

  22. #197
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    I find the officiating in all sports lacking.........
    I tend to cut them some slack because it's a thankless task and were all human.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  23. #198
    NYYF Legend

    montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    I tend to cut them some slack because it's a thankless task and were all human.
    Footy excluded?

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

  24. #199
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    What is even more amazing is that Joe said in his post game that he was denied the option of protesting because it was a judgement call. And I thought for sure that when Randazzo blew that call of the Infante grounder to Jeter, that was going to be another run. This umpire crew is like reliving the Bataan Death March. Absolutely brutal.
    Joe knows full well he can't protest a judgment call.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  25. #200
    NYYF Legend

    montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: 2012 Umpire Performance/Venting Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Joe knows full well he can't protest a judgment call.
    Watching the replay he looked like George Constanza protesting his nickname....

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts