+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Offense Performance Thread

I think people would look at the second half records and argue that they are more predictive. Would those numbers be as good post-ASB?

But, regardless, you never know once you are in the playoffs. There is as much talent on this Yankee team as any in baseball. They just need to get hot.

NYYF Triple Crown

I don't think there's any team in the postseason who's a "clear" favorite, expected to go all the way.

It's going to be an exciting October, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    Mo bends. Mo don't break.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I will take 7 runs any day of the week.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

Redemption.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    But in the end, the Yankee offensive struggle will put the nail in their 2012 coffin.
    Agreed

In their 2 losses this weekend they scored 2 runs in 18 innings. Yes they came alive yesterday but even today was a rough game. Without a couple of gift pass balls who knows how that game ends.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Ill say one thing in defense of this team in general.

When 1st place looks to be slipping away, they step up. They haven't given up 1st during Baltimore's run.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    How many times this year have we heard Girardi say during his post game, "we had our chances today, we just didn't get that big hit."?
    When you look at these stats...

RISP(At least 100 AB)

Jeter - .313
    Swisher - .301
    Cano - .255
    Granderson - .252
    Ibanez - .230
    Texiera - .235
    Martin - .225
    A-Rod - .218

When your lead off hitter has the best average with RISP that is not too great. You wonder about those chances Giradi is talking about. lol.

NYYF Legend

how much success does it take over an extended period for fans of a team that is tied for first to say things like "our team's nail in the coffin is..." and "one redeeming thing i can say about them is..." Apparently 15 playoff appearances in 16 years and lots of titles

they are tied for first. first is the best. enjoy the pennant race and enough with coffins and fatal flaws

So I guess this is the "A" lineup. I can live with that even though it's not as lethal as it was in previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    how much success does it take over an extended period for fans of a team that is tied for first to say things like "our team's nail in the coffin is..." and "one redeeming thing i can say about them is..." Apparently 15 playoff appearances in 16 years and lots of titles

they are tied for first. first is the best. enjoy the pennant race and enough with coffins and fatal flaws
    Yes, they're in first, but they blew a 10 game lead. I see no problems with people voicing their opinions on a forum.
    Ain't it EVIL to LIVE backwards

Quote Originally Posted by ARodCanoMelky View Post
    Yes they're in first, but they blew a 10 game lead.
    That's just semantics. How much or how little of a lead they had or end up with is irrelevant if they win the division. All games count the same-- it doesn't matter when in the season you win them.

Also, they've never relinquished first place. Does it still count as a blown lead?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    That's just semantics. How much or how little of a lead they had or end up with is irrelevant if they win the division. All games count the same-- it doesn't matter when in the season you win them.

Also, they've never relinquished first place. Does it still count as a blown lead?
    Yes, it's irrelevant now because they're one game up with two to go. It was a blown lead because it was 10 games and went to a tie.

Yes, it's irrelevant now because they're one game up with two to go. It was a blown lead because it was 10 games and went to a tie.
    And this bothers you? That they may not win the division by a greater margin or something?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

And this bothers you? That they may not win the division by a greater margin or something?
    No, it doesn't matter how they win it, by 50 or by .5. I was just telling the other poster that there were reasons why people were panicking/frustrated..

No, it doesn't matter how they win it, by 50 or by .5. I was just telling the other poster that there were reasons why people were panicking/frustrated..
    Yeah, I get that, and I'm not trying to tell anyone not to post or anything like that.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Addicted Member

I don't think anyone cares about how many games they win the division by. Its that they might not win the division at all.

They had a 10 game lead best record in al and were the 1 seed. Now they might have to play the best of 1 game WC playoff to get to the divisional series.

Quote Originally Posted by 24Rickey View Post
    What's confusing? I don't think anyone cares about how many games they win the division by. Its that they might not win the division at all.

They had a 10 game lead best record in al and were the 1 seed. Now they might have to play the best of 1 game WC playoff to get to the divisional series.
    Right, but what the lead was is irrelevant.

It's more of a function of how out of their minds Baltimore has played in the second half than a failure on the Yankees part. Yankees were hot early, Orioles got hot later on. That's all that the ten game lead meant. If it was the other way around it would be an epic Yankees comeback to be where they are now. But in reality, they would just be in the same place. It's just a matter of perspective.
    Last edited by Mr Coffee; 10-02-12 at 12:58 AM.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

It's impossible to win a division by .5 ... the commish would kinda insist on making up that missing game.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

I don't think anyone cares about how many games they win the division by. Its that they might not win the division at all.

Right now they have the best record in the AL (tied) and are the 1 seed.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Right now they have the best record in the AL (tied) and are the 1 seed.
    And have to play every remaining game like a playoff game in hopes it stays that way. Instead of say getting guys like jeter a day or so off.

NYYF Legend

Yes, they're in first, but they blew a 10 game lead. I see no problems with people voicing their opinions on a forum.
    Right, like my opinion that the team isn't dead and pennant races are fun (which you wouldn't be able to tell from most of this forum, where the threads tend to be about who should be fired)

NYYF Legend

And have to play every remaining game like a playoff game in hopes it stays that way. Instead of say getting guys like jeter a day or so off.
    We've done that for a lot of years. Its not a birthright, getting in the playoffs by a lot is really hard to do. We've also lost in the playoffs plenty of those years

This isn't a dominant team, and its obvious. Them winning the division by 10 games would have required them to be injury free or for none of the other AL East teams to be any good (neither was the case). Yet still, 2nd in the majors in run differential, its a pretty good team. They could win it all, which is exciting

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    We've done that for a lot of years. Its not a birthright, getting in the playoffs by a lot is really hard to do. We've also lost in the playoffs plenty of those years

This isn't a dominant team, and its obvious. Them winning the division by 10 games would have required them to be injury free or for none of the other AL East teams to be any good (neither was the case). Yet still, 2nd in the majors in run differential, its a pretty good team. They could win it all, which is exciting
    Health wasn't the only issue which is why threads like this exist.

There should be no complaints about the team as long as their record is good enough to get on the playoffs?

The concern for me isn't that they have had to work hard to get into the playoffs. Its more the format. They had a 10 game lead and amongst other things if their offense was more consistent they wouldn't be trying their hardest to avoid a 1 and done game.

Addicted Member

Last time lester gave up 0 earned..April 28th. Last time he gave up less then 3 runs august 18th.

Pathetic performance so far. Teixeira is obviously not helping at all. No reason he should be batting 4th when Cano is literally hitting .650 over his last 7 games.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

Thread Information