+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 44 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 Offense Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    False,

In fact you haven't proved any of my points false. You just presented another slant to the discussion.

The Yanks have been a horrible club this year in coming from behind. Leverage stats may dispute that, but not winning in those situations which is the ultimate acid test.

The postseason features far better pitching than the slugfest know as the regular season. It's a shame you either A) don't realize that B) won't admit it.

In the said postseason games are typically closer, thus runs are at a premium. In those types of games a manufactured run greatly enhances a team's chances of winning. Unfortunately, the Yanks appear to be incapable of such runs.
    They're horrible in coming from behind in the ninth inning. That's not the same thing.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Bringing up crap postseasons like 2002, 2003 (except in the ALCS), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011 isn't helping anybody.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Bringing up crap postseasons like 2002, 2003 (except in the ALCS), 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2011 isn't helping anybody.
    I agree, and I'm going to make a concerted effort to be more positive from now on. For real. Let's get back on track tonight.

It may be worth pointing out that of the Yankees last four losses, three came against lefties (Lester, Liriano, and Sale) ... the other was lost by the bullpen after the Yankees manhandled right-hander Gavin Floyd.

The lineup looks a lot different when Chavez, Ichiro, and Ibanez are benched in favor of Nix, Jones, and McGehee. Fortunately, the Yankees will face three righties in Cleveland.

Especially without A-Rod in the lineup, how concerned should we be about the Yankees' potential vulnerability to left-handed pitching?
    Last edited by sweet_lou_14; 08-24-12 at 04:54 PM.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    It may be worth pointing out that of the Yankees last four losses, three came against lefties (Lester, Liriano, and Sale) ... the other was lost by the bullpen after the Yankees manhandled right-hander Gavin Floyd.

The lineup looks a lot different when Chavez, Ichiro, and Ibanez are benched in favor of Nix, Jones, and McGehee. Fortunately, the Yankees will face three righties in Cleveland.

Especially without A-Rod in the lineup, how concerned should we be about the Yankees' potential vulnerability to left-handed pitching?
    Eh. I guess maybe as currently constituted you could make a case for the lineup being vulnerable, but overall they've hit better against LH starters. Tex is better against lefties, Martin becomes a respectable hitter, and Jeter basically turns into Joe DiMaggio.

My main concern is just the fact that even though they're 2nd in the AL in RS/G, the lineup just isn't that much better than the rest of the field. They average ~10% more runs scored per game than the rest of the league, when usually they've been around 20% (or better). I just don't think the offense is good enough to consistently carry the team when the pitching gets spotty. I don't worry too much about the failures in high-leverage/come-from-behind situations, that's just obnoxious.

Ultimately, as long as they hold on to the division, I think we're in good shape assuming Pettitte comes back in good form. But it would be a real kick in the nuts to blow the division and have to face Verlander or Sale in Game 163.

It doesnt get much worse then what they're doing tonight so far

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Sure it does.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1990.shtml
    Complaining is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    There's a team that lost 95 games on pure merit.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    There's a team that lost 95 games on pure merit.
    That was truly the nadir. I remember walking up to scalpers, minutes before game time, and buying lodge seats, right between home plate and first base, for Red Sox games for $5.00.

I remember so vividly Alvaro Espinoza between innings taking ground balls while Steve Miller blasted from the PA.

It's hard to imagine that it was only six years later they started to become the biggest ticket in town.

3 for 10 w/RISP is pretty good. We gotta need more consistency and execution in that department though Yankees.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I was wrong. Tonight was much worse.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

You guys better get the suck out of your system before you get to Tampa Bay.

Don't really feel like getting drunk during the day because I have to watch Cobb dominate you live before my eyes.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

So in the last week they've lost 5 games against Lester, Liriano, Floyd, Masterson (who is better than his numbers show, but still), and some rookie with a 6 ERA....

Great job.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by 89FoxBody View Post
    So in the last week they've lost 5 games against Lester, Liriano, Floyd, Masterson (who is better than his numbers show, but still), and some rookie with a 6 ERA....

Great job.
    Well, they didn't "lose against" Gavin Floyd.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Well, they didn't "lose against" Gavin Floyd.

True enough however they had the opportunity to really knock him out of the game and didn't. Just like all the other games.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

NYYF Legend

They managed to score 8 runs total in three games against that great Indians pitching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    They managed to score 8 runs total in three games against that great Indians pitching staff.
    Who cares? They won two out of three.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Who cares? They won two out of three.
    Come on dude. I mostly agree with your sentiments, but this is the Offense Performance Thread. Do you think the offense performed well in these last three games?

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    Come on dude. I mostly agree with your sentiments, but this is the Offense Performance Thread. Do you think the offense performed well in these last three games?
    I understand what you're saying, and taken in a vacuum your post would be on point.

However in a thread where the complaints are mostly about the offense being HR heavy and how they don't win the close games, getting on the offense now about not scoring many runs seems petty. To me at least.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

2 for 7 and 3 runs scored with RISP is pretty nice today.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I understand what you're saying, and taken in a vacuum your post would be on point.

However in a thread where the complaints are mostly about the offense being HR heavy and how they don't win the close games, getting on the offense now about not scoring many runs seems petty. To me at least.
    Yeah, I guess I agree with that. I don't really care about the clutch stats, and I think the "too many home runs" stuff is a bunch of bunk. That said, there might be something to the argument that all the homers mask some flaws in the team's hitting. They really just don't get on-base at an overly-impressive clip.

I'm too dumb and lazy to post a table, but here's the team's OBP for this year, and the past three years, compared to the other 13 teams in the AL:

Yankees: .335
    Everyone Else: .319 (4.9% difference)

Yankees: .343
    Everyone Else: .321 (7.0% difference)

Yankees: .350
    Everyone Else: .326 (7.4% difference)

Yankees: .362
    Everyone Else: .333 (8.5% difference)

So basically, in addition (and in part to) offense being down throughout the sport, Yankee hitters are just make more outs than we're accustomed to seeing. I'm not gonna bother speculating how that's going to affect us in the postseason, but it's a troubling trend. With Jeter unlikely to repeat his big year, A-Rod yet to deliver the bounce-back performance he promises every Spring, Swisher likely gone, Tex and Grandy declining, no help on the horizon at C, production from Chavez and Ibanez that we need to replace from somewhere...

Let's hope in 2013 Cano goes nuts and bats .345/.395/.600 and a healthy Gardner has a vintage Brett Butler type of performance in him, because going forward the offense is gonna be an issue unless management is BSing about getting under 189. Hopefully the pitching will be nasty.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by The Comic Book Guy View Post
    That's what I was referring to. They faced a very pitching challenged team and barely scored against them. With the game Kuroda pitched they should have swept the Indians instead of winning 2 out of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    That's what I was referring to. They faced a very pitching challenged team and barely scored against them. With the game Kuroda pitched they should have swept the Indians instead of winning 2 out of 3.

Addicted Member

OMG a clutch hit by Nunez, a guy they sent down to the minors for the year no less.

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    OMG a clutch hit by Nunez, a guy they sent down to the minors for the year no less.
    And a good batting eye from DJ and Nick got some luck from J.J. Hardy.

Thread Information