+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 ... LastLast
    Devoted Member

Re: 2012 Offense Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    I really do believe that the whole offense should improve when the weather warms up some, lets keep in mind that cold weather may be bothersome for some of the older players.
    That isn't a harbinger for November success.

I think players just go through periods of hot and cold.

If you go through a cold period to start the year, it makes it look worse then it is.

It will all even out.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    I really do believe that the whole offense should improve when the weather warms up some, lets keep in mind that cold weather may be bothersome for some of the older players.
    Unless it's brutally cold, it doesn't make that much fo a difference.

Jeter and Ibanez look really bothered by the cold.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    I think players just go through periods of hot and cold.

If you go through a cold period to start the year, it makes it look worse then it is.

It will all even out.
    Exactly. Going cold for 5-6 games in the middle of the season is no big deal. Do it at the start and people start to question you
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

NYYF MVP

Listen you stand in 45 degrees and wind in one spot for three hours, wearing a baseball shirt. Then tell me the cold has no effect, Didn't you see the fans?? They had blankets, and winter coats and your saying that the players shouldn't be cold well I disagree!

NYYF MVP

What about the rest of the team? Didn't you hear the interview with Swish he said it was freezing out there. Both announcers only mentioned it about a half dozen times, by you saying that they shouldn't be cold because two guys hit makes no sense.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Well, getting upset is fine. But saying that the team is a bust or attacking players like A-Rod or Tex (notoriously slow starter, and I am completely biased - he's my favorite) or Swish for NOT getting hits in those situation is just asinine. Yeah, I know it happens, but these guys are power hitters. If you'd rather have a slap hitter slap a single, fine. These guys are trying to drive in a lot of runs, they're going for doubles. I get annoyed, but the calling for heads I see (and it's not just here. Its worse elsewhere) is waaaaay over-reacting. Throw up numbers all you want at me, I don't care. I'm willing to bet that someone like Nick Swisher has a much better clue about what to do than ALL of us do. Unless one of us is actually Barry Bonds or something.
    As you see, I agree with this well stated post, you made a very good point!

We've scored 6, 6, 0, 6, 5 and 6 runs in our games so far. And this offense isn't clicking? I'm not worried at all. Three of these games were against one of the best teams in baseball. There will be times this year when we win more than three games in two series but score fewer runs. We have a 3-3 record because of our pitching, not our offense.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    We've scored 6, 6, 0, 6, 5 and 6 runs in our games so far. And this offense isn't clicking? I'm not worried at all. Three of these games were against one of the best teams in baseball. There will be times this year when we win more than three games in two series but score fewer runs. We have a 3-3 record because of our pitching, not our offense.
    This is a fair statement in the aggregate. And you're right that better pitching in the first two games could easily have given the Yankees a 5-1 record.

There are specific individuals on this team who haven't looked good over the first six games, and the RISP numbers team-wide have been dreadful, but it would be foolish to extrapolate from such a small sample and project long-term problems.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by diogenes View Post
    Does OPS take into account an RBI with a groundout or flyout? That's what really drives me nuts--failing to drive in a run with an out--more than a lack of hits with men-in-scoring-position.
    yes and no.

a ground out is simply an out, 0/1 in both OBP and SLG so it hurts both components of OPS even though the batter may get an RBI

a sac fly is 0/1 for OBP but 0/0 for SLG so it onlt hurts one component of OPS.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    yes and no.

a ground out is simply an out, 0/1 in both OBP and SLG so it hurts both components of OPS even though the batter may get an RBI

a sac fly is 0/1 for OBP but 0/0 for SLG so it onlt hurts one component of OPS.
    Huh, I just researched and learned a sac fly counts in OBP. Wow.

NYYF Legend

Man, how good would Carlos Pena look as our DH right now? I bet that first series of the year wouldn't have resulted in a sweep at the hand of TB, to say the least.

Sorry, I know it's pointless whining over spilled milk, but he was out there for the taking on a 1-year ~$7M deal, and we wound up with Raul Ibanez while he went to a primary competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    Man, how good would Carlos Pena look as our DH right now? I bet that first series of the year wouldn't have resulted in a sweep at the hand of TB, to say the least.

Sorry, I know it's pointless whining over spilled milk, but he was out there for the taking on a 1-year ~$7M deal, and we wound up with Raul Ibanez while he went to a primary competitor.
    Ibanez signed for 15% of Pena's salary. That's why he's a Yankee instead of Pena.

EDIT: Also, considering his familiarity with the Rays and the larger role he has on that team, the Yankees probably would have had to outpay Tampa by a decent margin.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    Ibanez signed for 15% of Pena's salary. That's why he's a Yankee instead of Pena.

EDIT: Also, considering his familiarity with the Rays and the larger role he has on that team, the Yankees probably would have had to outpay Tampa by a decent margin.
    That assumes that he hits 0% of the incentives in the deal though, right? If he actually gets enough AB's, he'll earn close to $4MM - although I think even if he produces acceptably against RHP he'll probably only trigger incentives to bring it to just under $3MM.

Your point stands around why he was signed, but even at a 50% discount for Ibanez, Pena would have been the wise investment.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by justtxyank View Post
    Huh, I just researched and learned a sac fly counts in OBP. Wow.
    Yeah early in the season you can get some interesting results with small samples. Like a guy being 3/10 with no BB and 2 sac flies has .300 AVE but only a .250 OBP. I think if you look up Mark Trumbo's spring stats you may find his AVE > OPB this spring. It was with about a week to go in spring so maybe he drew some walks to raise the OBP, I never checked the final numbers.

OBP = H + BB + HPB / plate appearances
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    That assumes that he hits 0% of the incentives in the deal though, right? If he actually gets enough AB's, he'll earn close to $4MM - although I think even if he produces acceptably against RHP he'll probably only trigger incentives to bring it to just under $3MM.

Your point stands around why he was signed, but even at a 50% discount for Ibanez, Pena would have been the wise investment.
    It's only a 50% discount, though, if he produces. The fact that it isn't guaranteed money is meaningful.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Yeah early in the season you can get some interesting results with small samples. Like a guy being 3/10 with no BB and 2 sac flies has .300 AVE but only a .250 OBP. I think if you look up Mark Trumbo's spring stats you may find his AVE > OPB this spring. It was with about a week to go in spring so maybe he drew some walks to raise the OBP, I never checked the final numbers.

OBP = H + BB + HPB / plate appearances
    Yep. In my youth, I once had a season average that was higher than my OBP because I had a stack load of sac flies but hadn't learnt to walk yet.

NYYF Cy Young

The Yankees lead MLB in BB/K ratio at 31/40 = 0.775 (K/BB is used for pitchers but I think BB/K should be an batting statistic also).

Yep. In my youth, I once had a season average that was higher than my OBP because I had a stack load of sac flies but hadn't learnt to walk yet.
    Wait, you grew up playing baseball in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Wait, you grew up playing baseball in the UK?
    Yes. Both types. There is a welsh version of baseball - not rounders, although just like US baseball, there are similarities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_baseball

Yes. Both types. There is a welsh version of baseball - not rounders, although just like US baseball, there are similarities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_baseball
    The uniforms are adorable. Is sliding not allowed?

EDIT: I just read that there are no bases, but poles instead. Which of course begs the question of how it can be called baseball.

Nonetheless that's very interesting and I'd be curious to watch a game some time. I do enjoy watching cricket, every once in a while.

Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar

EDIT: I just read that there are no bases, but poles instead. Which of course begs the question of how it can be called baseball.

Nonetheless that's very interesting and I'd be curious to watch a game some time. I do enjoy watching cricket, every once in a while.
    The uniform, well at least the English one, was the national kit for the football team some years ago.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

What made you watch Cricket?
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    What made you watch Cricket?
    Someone must have been trying to get a confession out of him.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

There are two innings per team. An inning ends when all eleven players are out. A single gets you one run, a double gets you two runs, a triple gets you three and a home run gets you four. We use a baseball just like the US on but we don't wear gloves to field (the backstop/catcher does). The bats have a slightly flat side and it takes two strikes to K someone - walks don't happen very often because you don't get a run for it. The strike zone is from the knee to the chin. You bat at the "pegs" and there are four bases. You don't steal bases but you can run whenever to want to risk it. The shortstop (my position) fields about 3-5 yards from the bat; this position's job is to simply block the ball when the batter hits it. A good shortstop will catch it. Other positions are pitcher, first base, second base, third base, fourth base, catcher, and four outfielders. Sometimes, if you have a very quicker pitcher, or a bad catcher, you might use a long stop. I've seen teams play with two first basemen; and I've sometimes played on teams with two shortstops if their are lots of left handed hitters. It can be a brutal game with pitchers throwing at guys regularly and fielders barging base runners into the yard high base-posts. I have a permanently broken left hand from playing this version of baseball and cricket.

Thread Information