+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 279
  1. #76
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Hughes threw more curveballs in his last start.

    Joba is fastball/slider because his slider is better than his curve and relievers only need 2 pitches.
    so what happpened to Drobs?
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  2. #77
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    He's thrown a curve about 14% of the time as opposed to nearly 20-26% since being called up. A lot more fastballs (I'd guess some cutters were mixed in there) and it seems to have helped lower the walks.

  3. #78
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Am I the only one who would rather not Robertson as the closer? I think he's best suited to fireman role and should stay there.

    http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...ikes-1.3701048

    A straw poll of scouts and talent evaluators didn't find even one who would choose Soriano, 2-3 with a 4.12 ERA and two saves in 2011, to take over even though the 32-year-old has done the job.

  4. #79
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    d rob is obviously a far superior pitcher to soriano. however, it doesn't really follow from this that he has to be the closer. especially until our pen is fortified by say phil and who knows who else, and with phelps now in the rotation, our middle pen is pretty shaky. it doesn't really make sense to let games slip away in the 6th or 7th or 8th, which renders the closer role in the 9th moot. hence like ajra and pins i favor a game-by-game approach with no fixed closer, with d rob perhaps providing more value in the fireman role. again, he'd obviously be a better closer than soriano, it's just a Q where he'd provide greater value, IE contribute to more Ws.

  5. #80
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    d rob is obviously a far superior pitcher to soriano. however, it doesn't really follow from this that he has to be the closer. especially until our pen is fortified by say phil and who knows who else, and with phelps now in the rotation, our middle pen is pretty shaky. it doesn't really make sense to let games slip away in the 6th or 7th or 8th, which renders the closer role in the 9th moot. hence like ajra and pins i favor a game-by-game approach with no fixed closer, with d rob perhaps providing more value in the fireman role. again, he'd obviously be a better closer than soriano, it's just a Q where he'd provide greater value, IE contribute to more Ws.
    This is the slippery slope of the way the closer is used in today's game. I don't disagree with you, but would you have favored Mo being used in this role for the last 15 years?
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  6. #81

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    This is the slippery slope of the way the closer is used in today's game. I don't disagree with you, but would you have favored Mo being used in this role for the last 15 years?
    if we are going with ideal strategy then you gotta keep in mind the key is higher expected leverage (because you don't know 9th inning leverage). if it is a 1 run game with bad hitters coming up in the 8th and heart of the lineup in the 9th, then mo is going to pitch the 9th. otherwise he might be more useful keeping guys already on base from scoring.

    also, relievers wear and tear is dependent on how often they are used. if you use mo 2 or even 3 innings at a time but limit the number of his appearances, more innings can be squeezed out of him without much more increased wear and tear. that might be a more efficient model of usage for these relievers.
    always reasonable

  7. #82
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bronx

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    The only argument for closers that even passes the plausibility test is that routine improves a pitchers performance. It would have to be an effect great enough to outweigh the leverage issue.

    The saves rule is indefensible and so is managing pitchers according to it. David Robertson wasn't even the fireman, he was the setup man. A true fireman would be called strictly based on leverage and not inning coming in with runners on base much of the time. His job would be harder, his numbers wouldn't be as sterling but he would provide more value to the team.

    It just isn't going to happen though. The two people who benefit from the closer role are the closer and the manager.

  8. #83
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    This is the slippery slope of the way the closer is used in today's game. I don't disagree with you, but would you have favored Mo being used in this role for the last 15 years?
    No, but that's because Mariano isn't the same type of pitcher as D-rob. Runner on 3rd, no outs, tie game, I'd rather have 2011-Present in there than Drob. Of course, game 7 of the WS, 11th inning, 1 run lead, I want Mo in there.

    Drob's unique "K or BB" results make him ideal for fireman, not just how good he is in raw numbers. He can basically avoid contact if he wants to (though it might end up in a BB). Only half the batters he faced put the ball in play. 75% of Mo's batters faced put the ball into play.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  9. #84

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    The only argument for closers that even passes the plausibility test is that routine improves a pitchers performance. It would have to be an effect great enough to outweigh the leverage issue.

    The saves rule is indefensible and so is managing pitchers according to it. David Robertson wasn't even the fireman, he was the setup man. A true fireman would be called strictly based on leverage and not inning coming in with runners on base much of the time. His job would be harder, his numbers wouldn't be as sterling but he would provide more value to the team.

    It just isn't going to happen though. The two people who benefit from the closer role are the closer and the manager.
    DRob has still been used as a fireman.

  10. #85
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    No, but that's because Mariano isn't the same type of pitcher as D-rob. Runner on 3rd, no outs, tie game, I'd rather have 2011-Present in there than Drob. Of course, game 7 of the WS, 11th inning, 1 run lead, I want Mo in there.

    Drob's unique "K or BB" results make him ideal for fireman, not just how good he is in raw numbers. He can basically avoid contact if he wants to (though it might end up in a BB). Only half the batters he faced put the ball in play. 75% of Mo's batters faced put the ball into play.
    Agreed -- but you could just as easily argue that pre-D-Rob, Mo might have been better used as a fireman in particularly high leverage situations, or that D-Rob might be more suitable than Mo in some 9th inning situations. The logical extension of not making D-Rob the closer is to rethink the way you use the bullpen and employ it more situationally, rather than having 7th, 8th and 9th inning guys.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  11. #86
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    This is the slippery slope of the way the closer is used in today's game. I don't disagree with you, but would you have favored Mo being used in this role for the last 15 years?
    hmmmmmmmm, tough Q. as pins notes, one aspect is Mo and D Rob are very different pitchers -- D Rob with his K skills is probably more uniquely suited to stepping into a sheee-it show and coming out clean. Mo was also so brilliant in that role, and for so long, i'm tempted to say he's the exception to the rule, rather than proving the rule. And even with Mo, you'd see him in the 8th in critical situations. So it's maybe somewhat of a punt answer, but my feeling is you organize the pen based on the pitchers you have, rather than start with innings-slot name tags and then figure out who to annoint in reverse order. as K-W notes, there is likely some benefit in routine and defined roles, but i'd rather set it up in terms of leverage situations, figuring out who your best and most effective pitchers are, and go from there.

    there's also probably a different analysis regular season vs postseason. I keep thinking of one of the ALCS games in Anaheim 09 where D Rob came in early, maybe the 4th inning, first and third no outs, to keep the game from spiralling away. Last few years tho, Girardi has shown very little urgency in the postseason for the most part, keeping starters in past their expiration (EG, AJ and phil vs texas), or keeping the "innings slot mentality" alive and going to the C team in game critical situations, "saving" your good pitchers for set ups and closing situations that never happened. playoffs for me, leverage situations has to be the primary factor, regular season maybe more of a mix between leverage and defined roles. but even there, there's gotta be some flex to wing it based on game feel to mix and match.

  12. #87
    NYYF MVP

    HerbieLee20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Kingdom of Back

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Listening to Suzyn's postgame , so bittersweet. He was reeeealy nervous out there tonight; his first 'official' save.
    Expected the strikeout to end the game. Wish I had been sitting next to a betting person when the bases got loaded...
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

    Price is Right

  13. #88

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    At no point did I think he wouldn't get it done. Dude is something special.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

  14. #89

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    25 pitches is far to many for a closer in a 2 run game when he's facing the bottom of the order. I'll write it off to nerves, but this situation has to be monitored closely.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd



  15. #90

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    25 pitches is far to many for a closer in a 2 run game when he's facing the bottom of the order. I'll write it off to nerves, but this situation has to be monitored closely.
    What happens after you monitor it closely?

  16. #91
    NYYF MVP

    NYCrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    I think I'm stating the obvious when I say this but it being the first save after Mo got hurt, Robertson was going to feel some nerves whether he admits it or not(didn't watch the post game)

    On top of the fact that it was in Yankee stadium.

    I'm sure he hasn't felt that type of butterflies since he made his major league debut or postseason debut.

    Robertson is not Mo but that is like saying X hitter isn't Babe Ruth, that is no insult.

    D-Rob is still pretty damn good and should do fine.

  17. #92
    there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    "The Bad boy of baseball is back"

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

  18. #93

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Let's not forget that Mo blew a save to these same rays earlier this year. They have had our number when they get into our bullpen, so I attribute that and nerves to DRob's performance last night.

  19. #94

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    I felt very weird watching somene else in Mo's spot last night. Glad Drob got it done.

  20. #95
    Addicted Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Buffalo, NY

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    If he takes over for Mo once he retires and he continues to save games like this. It does not bode well for my life expectancy.

  21. #96

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NY Dude View Post
    If he takes over for Mo once he retires and he continues to save games like this. It does not bode well for my life expectancy.
    You'll get used to it. I'm glad he Houdini'd for his first save without Mo.

  22. #97

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    What happens after you monitor it closely?

    You know they are not real pies, right?

    "I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

  23. #98

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    I was trying to think of another high pressured situation hes been in and one that comes to mind is that playoff game in 09 against the Twins when he came in with 0 outs and the bases loaded in the 7th or 8th while we were clinging onto a 1 or 2 run lead and he got us through it.
    Phil Hughes is a starter!

  24. #99
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    Robertson is awesome and you could see he felt pretty good about it last night. I agree with an above poster, however. In the future, Robinson needs to be able to have quicker innings. I know he's had some issues of getting into trouble and always getting out of it, but when you need him 2-3 days in a row, getting quicker outs helps.

  25. #100
    NYYF MVP

    HerbieLee20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    The Kingdom of Back

    Re: 2012 David Robertson Performance Thread

    He did confirm his nervousness after the game. Joe G was also saying that it was the first game with a save situation that he remembered to not automatically write Mo's name in. Seemed by postgame comments per Suzyn's Postgame Report that it was a very emotionally charged 9th inning - and the end result was perfect (DRob getting the K).
    He'll never get another milestone like that one. So what? His whole career is a milestone. - JL25and3

    Price is Right

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts