+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Re: 2012 John Sterling Performance Thread

That foul ball to our booth is brought to you by the good hands people at Allstate.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    That foul ball to our booth is brought to you by the good hands people at Allstate.
    I wonder if he initially called it a HR.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

i know this is the 'john sterling performance thread' and not the 'suzyn waldman performance thread', but since they are part and parcel with on another, I'll say it here.

today, on that ball that got by Cano, I was in the car. Waldman explained that the turf causes the ball to actually accelerate the further it goes.

She never struck me as a stupid woman, but if she really believes that the turf somehow adds speed to groundballs, I guess I overestimated her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I wonder if he initially called it a HR.
    certainly at the very least he called it a fair ball
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Suzyn Waldman is becoming almost impossible to listen to. Every single time it seems like that something negative happens to the Yankees she either grunts or moans. Yesterday when Derek Lowe walked in a run she moaned, grunted, and said "oh boy" all while Sterling was trying to make his call.

I am a big John Sterling fan and I had to change the station yesterday because it got so bad. The Yankees are playing like garbage but it was even more annoying having to hear the grunting and moaning during every single bad play. And if one of the Yankee players gets hurt she sounds like a concerned mother. And it's getting worse by the game.

She needs to keep her mouth shut, let Sterling make the call, and then comment when a comment is necessary.

This is a relatively new thing for her that I first started noticing in 2009. She used to be a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by scine20 View Post
    Suzyn Waldman is becoming almost impossible to listen to. Every single time it seems like that something negative happens to the Yankees she either grunts or moans. Yesterday when Derek Lowe walked in a run she moaned, grunted, and said "oh boy" all while Sterling was trying to make his call.

I am a big John Sterling fan and I had to change the station yesterday because it got so bad. The Yankees are playing like garbage but it was even more annoying having to hear the grunting and moaning during every single bad play. And if one of the Yankee players gets hurt she sounds like a concerned mother. And it's getting worse by the game.

She needs to keep her mouth shut, let Sterling make the call, and then comment when a comment is necessary.

This is a relatively new thing for her that I first started noticing in 2009. She used to be a lot better.
    Those grunts and groans and oh boys help Sterling to stall until Carlos Seeeeeelva whispers into his ear what happened on the play.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    i know this is the 'john sterling performance thread' and not the 'suzyn waldman performance thread', but since they are part and parcel with on another, I'll say it here.

today, on that ball that got by Cano, I was in the car. Waldman explained that the turf causes the ball to actually accelerate the further it goes.

She never struck me as a stupid woman, but if she really believes that the turf somehow adds speed to groundballs, I guess I overestimated her.
    I'm surprised you haven't heard of Cold Fusion Turf.

Why do you folks pick on Sterling so much?
    I have the luxury of being able to watch the Yankees on the MLB package and have satellite radio.
    When the Yankees on YES are not shown, I just mute and listen to the radio feed.

I find John and Suzyn to be great. They are not arrogant, they give the other team credit, share a lot of news and notes, and just are a pleasant listen. Don't see why they get picked except for the "Yankeees Win."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    Why do you folks pick on Sterling so much?
    He's arrogant, annoying, and clueless. Other than that, he's ok.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    But that's what makes him so endearing. He's a blowhard, he knows it, and he revels in it.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    But that's what makes him so endearing. He's a blowhard, he knows it, and he revels in it.
    I do not believe he is that self-aware.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post

But that's part of the charm.
    MLB on FOX blackouts - NO MORE!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I do not believe he is that self-aware.
    He's a massive tool.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

During the first inning last night Suzyn, "Ive been coming here since he early 1950's and Ive havent seen this place empty like this since 1965, if a sellout is announced someone is cooking the books"

Michael Kay later on during the same game, announced there was a sellout to keep the streak alive.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    During the first inning last night Suzyn, "Ive been coming here since he early 1950's and Ive havent seen this place empty like this since 1965, if a sellout is announced someone is cooking the books"

Michael Kay later on during the same game, announced there was a sellout to keep the streak alive.
    I don't know what Waldman was looking at. It was full enough.

She clearly didn't watch the Red Sox in the 80's and early 90's if she thought that last night was the emptiest the stadium has been since 1965.

I don't know what Waldman was looking at. It was full enough.

She clearly didn't watch the Red Sox in the 80's and early 90's if she thought that last night was the emptiest the stadium has been since 1965.
    She probably didnt even know that she was talking.

NYYF Legend

You would think Waldman would know attendance count goes by tickets sold. There could have been 10 people in the park and its still a "sell out".

She probably didnt even know that she was talking.
    She was crying for half the time before the game began over the September 11th ceremonies.

I understand that it was a sad day but she needs to be a better job of controlling herself on the air.

She was crying for half the time before the game began over the September 11th ceremonies.

I understand that it was a sad day but she needs to be a better job of controlling herself on the air.
    I heard that. She was having a very hard time. Sterling should have stepped in an helped her out, however she had not introduced him as the Voice of the Yankees as yet, so that was umpossible.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

In today's Wall Street Journal, there's an article on biased baseball announcers. They only judged TV announcers, so Sterling escaped. They kept track of a full game and counted each biased "homer' type saying, call, excuse, complaint, or saying 'we', etc.

The Yankees booth had zero. Neither did the Mets, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Blue Jays.

The White Sox had 104 in one game ! More than every other team in the majors combined.

Mercy !

Being a homer doesn't bother me. Unless of course you are supposed to be neutral like on Fox or something. But the home town announcers I have no issue with getting excited or rooting for their team to win. Unless of course we are talking about the WS because that dude is just annoying and grates on every last nerve I have when I hear him. I have to give Michael Kay some credit though, he'll call an opposing home run almost as if it was a Yankee home run. But sometimes if I have the game in the background while doing something else I'll get all excited like the Yankees did something and it turns out to be a bad thing. I dunno, I can give or take it.
    Thank you, 2013-2014 New York Rangers for a great season!

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Being a homer doesn't bother me. Unless of course you are supposed to be neutral like on Fox or something. But the home town announcers I have no issue with getting excited or rooting for their team to win. Unless of course we are talking about the WS because that dude is just annoying and grates on every last nerve I have when I hear him. I have to give Michael Kay some credit though, he'll call an opposing home run almost as if it was a Yankee home run. But sometimes if I have the game in the background while doing something else I'll get all excited like the Yankees did something and it turns out to be a bad thing. I dunno, I can give or take it.
    What?
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

NYYF HOF

... I dunno, I can give or take it.
    That's what he said.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

I agree completely. I don't hate Harrelson because he's a homer. I'm fine with that. I hate it because of the awkward silences, the lack of real intriguing dialogue, and the calls themselves.

"He gone."

"You can put it on the boooooooardYEEESSS!"

On the flip side, sometimes Kay seems as/more excited about big plays by the opposition, which seems dumb given that he broadcasts for the YES Network.

Who was in the booth with Sterling last night?

Thread Information