+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 John Sterling Performance Thread

I agree with effy about the score. The other day I came out of a store and turned on the game at the beginning of the bottom of the first. I really wanted to know if the other team was able to score in the top of the first (Nova or Garcia was pitching and I was nervous). As no Yankees scored, I had to wait all the way to the end of the inning to get the score.

Lots of people are just tuning in in the early innings and need to know the score. I remember being able to turn on my little Sony 7-transistor during day games between classes in grade school (five minutes between bells--small school). You could ALWAYS get the score.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I agree with effy about the score. The other day I came out of a store and turned on the game at the beginning of the bottom of the first. I really wanted to know if the other team was able to score in the top of the first (Nova or Garcia was pitching and I was nervous). As no Yankees scored, I had to wait all the way to the end of the inning to get the score.

Lots of people are just tuning in in the early innings and need to know the score. I remember being able to turn on my little Sony 7-transistor during day games between classes in grade school (five minutes between bells--small school). You could ALWAYS get the score.
    I can recall some old school announcer saying he would place a sand timer that was for a few minutes in front him to remind him to say the score before the sand ran out. Once he said the score he would flip it over and start the routine again.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I can recall some old school announcer saying he would place a sand timer that was for a few minutes in front him to remind him to say the score before the sand ran out. Once he said the score he would flip it over and start the routine again.
    I believe that was Red Barber.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    On this, we agree. Stop the presses!
    LOL...I actually think that we agree more times than not (at least that's how I feel reading your posts), but whatever we disagree on makes for better entertainment. And that's why I enjoy Sterling - for the entertainment value.

For once, I have to give credit where credit is due. I just was in the car for about two minutes, and when I turned on the game, the very first thing I heard was Sterling saying, "Nobody on, one out, bottom of the seventh, Yanks clinging to a 2-1 lead."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    For once, I have to give credit where credit is due. I just was in the car for about two minutes, and when I turned on the game, the very first thing I heard was Sterling saying, "Nobody on, one out, bottom of the seventh, Yanks clinging to a 2-1 lead."
    I was listening up to that point. That was the first time all game he gave a score that wasn't driven by jeep.
    Pardon, for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I was listening up to that point. That was the first time all game he gave a score that wasn't driven by jeep.
    you can only drive a jeep so far before it needs repairs
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

ding ding ding (I drive a 4Runner--not a fan of Heeps.)
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    (I know I'll get killed for this but...) I don't mind Waldman. She's not doing play by play and only filling time with color commentary. She's OK at it. She's a much better sideline reporter and should have stuck to that job.
    You won't get killed by me. I don't consider her a good announcer on balance, but the only thing she does that really grinds my gears is her "Grunting Gertie" routine she developed a few years ago where she sighs-moans-exhales audibly whenever a dramatic play happens, even before Sterling can describe it.

Other than that, all I have to say is that the many times I've seen posters here ridicule this 65-year-old cancer survivor's physical appearance should have resulted in a lot more RO's than it did.

True! A few years ago my girlfriend was trying to decide between a Honda CRV and a Jeep Whatchamacallit. I went along on the test drives to help her decide. I'm no car expert but even I could tell. I told her jokingly if she bought the Jeep I'd put her over my knee.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Other than that, all I have to say is that the many times I've seen posters here ridicule this 65-year-old cancer survivor's physical appearance should have resulted in a lot more RO's than it did.
    I don't understand-- are people not allowed to make fun of someones appearance here in general, or only if they are cancer survivors?

I mean, people talk about other celebrities/personalities/public figures all the time here.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    LOL...I actually think that we agree more times than not (at least that's how I feel reading your posts), but whatever we disagree on makes for better entertainment. And that's why I enjoy Sterling - for the entertainment value.
    I've read your recent posts and I see where you're coming from but me personally I can't take it. I'm embarrassed by him. He's a clown, we all know this, but it's just pathetic. When I tune into the radio for a game I don't look for entertainment I look for the game being called. I have been very cynical when it comes to sterling over the years and I've tried to relax but with each passing year, with each ridiculous home run call, I get more and more angry at the level of announcing that one of the most prominent sports franchises in all of sports gives us. I would take Howie Rose in a heartbeat. Not sure why you called him a phony but I listened to him when he did the Rangers and it was a pleasure.
    You're a stranger til she whispers you can stay.
    You're a stranger til she whispers that your journey's over.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I get more and more angry at the level of announcing that one of the most prominent sports franchises in all of sports gives us.
    This is how I feel also. I know that there may be some announcers in the game who are worse than Sterling but shouldn't the New York Yankees have an announcer who's one of, if not THE best?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    This is how I feel also. I know that there may be some announcers in the game who are worse than Sterling but shouldn't the New York Yankees have an announcer who's one of, if not THE best?
    Yes the premiere franchise in all of sprts should have nothing but the best announcers representing them. Very sad we have to be tortured by these two ass clowns daily.

The Yankees are currently playing down to the level of their Broadcasters.
    Pardon, for us.

Passion For Pinstripes mrmike98's Avatar

The Yankees are currently playing down to the level of their Broadcasters.
    Are they ever!!!
    Before Elvis There Was Nothing

NYYF Legend

all I have to say is that the many times I've seen posters here ridicule this 65-year-old cancer survivor's physical appearance should have resulted in a lot more RO's than it did.
    Does he have eye, ear, and brain cancer? Because that would explain it

I told her jokingly if she bought the Jeep I'd put her over my knee.
    So she bought the Jeep?
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Does he have eye, ear, and brain cancer? Because that would explain it
    I believe hellownewman is referring to Waldman.
    - Barry Manilow

I have the answer (to one problem anyway). It is so simple. Why have I not thought of this already?

I'm calling WCBS and telling them to get a sponsor for the in inning score check.

6-1 Orioles, this score check is brought to you by Quick Check.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Legend

I have the answer (to one problem anyway). It is so simple. Why have I not thought of this already?

I'm calling WCBS and telling them to get a sponsor for the in inning score check.

6-1 Orioles, this score check is brought to you by Quick Check.
    I know the Durlings, who own Quik Chek. Just sent an e-mail....great idea.

Not sure if anyone else picked up on this, but it must have been 20+ times Sterling kept trying to explain how the Phelps HBP on a 3-2 count was the equivalent of a walk. That got annoying.

Also - wonder how folks who listened to the game today felt about the near-HR for Cano that Markakis caught at the wall. Is that the type of thing that frosts listeners' shorts?

NYYF Legend

At every game the Yankees play a video showing their great defensive plays of the week announced by their various broadcasters. Today they showed Martin throwing out a baserunner at second base and Sterling's call was clearly "Safe" followed by what a great throw by Russell to get the runner!

As long as the Steinbrenners own the team, I think Sterling stays:

rticles.nydailynews.com/2006-08-20/sports/18340785_1_yankee-stadium-howard-rubenstein-george-steinbrenner

There is no shame in getting agitated when family members try to move you out of the sun, as Steinbrenner's family members did the other day at the ground-breaking.

This was before John Sterling, the radio voice of the Yankees, one of the heroes of that interminable ceremony, saved Steinbrenner from a bad fall the other day when it was time for Steinbrenner to get up and make those amazingly brief remarks about building this new stadium for "you people." Whoever they are. Steinbrenner bumped into a chair and started to go down. If Sterling wasn't ready to take the full weight of him, he would have.

I recall some sportswriters saying at the time that Sterling would have a job for life after this !

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    As long as the Steinbrenners own the team, I think Sterling stays:

rticles.nydailynews.com/2006-08-20/sports/18340785_1_yankee-stadium-howard-rubenstein-george-steinbrenner

There is no shame in getting agitated when family members try to move you out of the sun, as Steinbrenner's family members did the other day at the ground-breaking.

This was before John Sterling, the radio voice of the Yankees, one of the heroes of that interminable ceremony, saved Steinbrenner from a bad fall the other day when it was time for Steinbrenner to get up and make those amazingly brief remarks about building this new stadium for "you people." Whoever they are. Steinbrenner bumped into a chair and started to go down. If Sterling wasn't ready to take the full weight of him, he would have.

I recall some sportswriters saying at the time that Sterling would have a job for life after this !
    I wouldn't doubt that his willingness to adhere to the company line is a contributing factor to his longevity. More than that, though, I believe is his appeal to a signficiant number of marginal fans who like his silly calls and nonsense.

It's like during the postseason when Fox constantly shows crowd reactions and celebrities. They know the hard core fans are going to watch no matter what anyway. The entire thing is centered around bringing in fans who are more likey turned on by the sideshow. The Super Bowl is another example...it's not a day for true football fans.

Sterling with his stupid home runs calls and 'Thuuuuuuh Yankees Win!" nonsense is there to try to get the non-baseball fan into the fold. For those of us that care about the subtleties and nuts and bolts of what's going on on the field, they don't care. They know they have us anyway.

Sterling just said that stats aren't mathematical.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information