+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 John Sterling Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I just don't get how the guy isn't embarrassed into obscurity at this point.
    Can you imagine facing your peers and doing the kind of job he does?
    I wonder if the production guys in the booth laugh at him.... It has to be so frustrating to sit there, off the mic, listen to the buffoonery and the mistakes after the mistakes that this guy makes, and tell people that you're part of the production.

What a crying shame. The New York Yankees. THe WORLD'S PREMIER FRANCHISE doesn't have an announcer that has the first clue about what's going on down on the field....
    Sad.
    It's really unbelievable how little self awareness he apparently has. I know the bean counters like Randy Levine may not see any apparent problems with him, but long term he is hurting the Yankees' brand. It's a total clown show on these broadcasts.

O'Neill and Cone, on the other hand, are doing really well on tv. It doesn't seem as if O'Neill wants to work that much, but I wish they'd go back to having 2 or 3 permanent people in the booth each night and not rotate everybody all over the place. Flaherty is competent and reasonable, but I don't look forward to listening to him. Not a big Leiter fan either. kay could serve as the "master of ceremonies'" type of role up there...he's okay.

I like Cone alot. His one liners are great...but he also brings alot of good info to the table i.e bringing up sabremetric stats on Fangraphs. O'Neill is good too and I have always liked Singleton.

Flaherty is boring and his voice is too monotone. Leiter is hit or miss. When is the last time Leiter has worked a game? I feel like I havent seen him in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    It's really unbelievable how little self awareness he apparently has.
    Yeah, I really don't get that. Wouldn't you be embarrassed getting things as completely botched as he does? If yankee nation was listening to me every night, I'd sure try hard not to sound like a total idiot. I guess that's what a complete lack of accountability does for a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Yeah, I really don't get that. Wouldn't you be embarrassed getting things as completely botched as he does? If yankee nation was listening to me every night, I'd sure try hard not to sound like a total idiot. I guess that's what a complete lack of accountability does for a guy.
    Yup, I'm guessing the goobers who like him walk up to him saying "Hey, John Sterling, you're awesome!!" while those of us who can't stand him just pass the word among ourselves. Nothing crazy about that ... just human nature ... but in a case like that it's up to the employer to enforce standards, and clearly thanks to Sterling's "in" with the Steinbrenner family, there are no standards.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I remember listening to Sterling on WMCA in the 70's, he hosted a sports talk show. He must be in his 70's.
    Didn't work for the Islandres?

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

S
    Having Satellite radio I get the home feed so I get to listen to other teams.........there is worse out trust me.......

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Didn't work for the Islandres?
    Islander GOAL ... Islander GOAL ... Islander GOAL!!!! even back then he was beholden to catch phrases ... since there is a fair and loving god, Sterling left the Islanders for the 1979-80 season, just as their dynasty was about to kick in.

God forbid that day when God makes that call for John Sterling....i wonder what will become of this thread.....

Quote Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
    God forbid that day when God makes that call for John Sterling....i wonder what will become of this thread.....
    It will be a sad day.
    Whatever you think...
    Well, you're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hellonewman View Post
    Islander GOAL ... Islander GOAL ... Islander GOAL!!!! even back then he was beholden to catch phrases ... since there is a fair and loving god, Sterling left the Islanders for the 1979-80 season, just as their dynasty was about to kick in.
    I posted earlier that it all actually started with the New York RAIDERS of the WHA, then he went to the Islanders. Same catch phrases, same listener had no clue where the puck was.

Typical Islander call: Jean up to brother Dennis, over to Clark up to Bryan, to Mike..Goal, Islander Goal........ (Sterling was always on a first name basis)

Another reason I am a Ranger fan.

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    I posted earlier that it all actually started with the New York RAIDERS of the WHA, then he went to the Islanders. Same catch phrases, same listener had no clue where the puck was.

Typical Islander call: Jean up to brother Dennis, over to Clark up to Bryan, to Mike..Goal, Islander Goal........ (Sterling was always on a first name basis)

Clark is on the mark?
    or Gillies makes the goalie look sillies?

Potvin, knocked the shot-in.

Tonelli, past the goalie's belly.

Mike Bossy is C'est Magnifique

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Clark is on the mark?
    or Gillies makes the goalie look sillies?

Potvin, knocked the shot-in.

Tonelli, past the goalie's belly.

Mike Bossy is C'est Magnifique
    Tortorella! Better tasting than Tortellini!

NYYF Cy Young

My god, this guy can't even keep up with baseball, which compared to hockey is MUCH slower... him doing hockey? That's scary.

But just remember, you can't predict hockey...

I bet he never commented on the beauty of the Nassau Colosseum.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
    we have Michael Kay to kick around
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    Tortorella! Better tasting than Tortellini!

??? ???

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

I posted earlier that it all actually started with the New York RAIDERS of the WHA, then he went to the Islanders. Same catch phrases, same listener had no clue where the puck was..
    Yup, his color man for that year with the ill-fated Raiders was Fritz Peterson. Yes, that Fritz Peterson. He left in late February 1973 to report to Yankee spring training, and shortly thereafter the wife-swap scandal broke.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    My god, this guy can't even keep up with baseball, which compared to hockey is MUCH slower... him doing hockey? That's scary.

But just remember, you can't predict hockey...
    I'm not a hockey fan at all, but I cannot imagine those poor islander fans listening to him do hockey. Baseball at least stops after every play so he or Suzyn can at least make up some of his mistakes and provide mostly accurate information relating as to what runners are where and how many outs there are. Hockey is a description of mostly fluid situation...what a disaster that would be.

Yup, his color man for that year with the ill-fated Raiders was Fritz Peterson. Yes, that Fritz Peterson. He left in late February 1973 to report to Yankee spring training, and shortly thereafter the wife-swap scandal broke.
    I saw Fritz Peterson in Foley's on 33rd Street a couple of years ago when he was signing his books. He was pretty personable and we talked a lot about some of the old time players (at least the ones I watched and was fans off). He was before my time as a fan as I was too young, but he had some funny Piniella stories.

This was when Piniella was managing the cubs and Peterson said he roots against him...not because he doesn't like Lou, but because he was always hoping for a meltdown right on the field on in the dugout or in a press conference.

I can see it now....."That's it, I hate my job working with that idiot. I hate my life. I may even hate my wife....Hey, Mike Kekich, want to trade wives???"

The couples made the change official in October; Kekich moving in with Marilyn Peterson and Peterson with Susanne Kekich, but no word leaked out until spring of 1973. A light moment came when New York Yankees General Manager Lee MacPhail remarked, "We may have to call off Family Day." The trade worked out better for Peterson than it did for Kekich, as Peterson is still married to the former Susanne Kekich, with whom he has had four children. Kekich and Marilyn Peterson did not last long and today Marilyn is most-remembered for her fashion attire of mini-skirts and white boots.

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    S
    Having Satellite radio I get the home feed so I get to listen to other teams.........there is worse out trust me.......
    I understand there are worse. But that doesn't make Sterling a better announcer.
    The Yankees should have an announcer who can follow the game.... Or at least SEE the game.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

After Waldman made a rare point last night, JS said "Yes Sir!" Ugh. She even corrected him by saying "You mean 'Yes Ma'am' ". The next sound was me turing off the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Icon23 View Post
    After Waldman made a rare point last night, JS said "Yes Sir!" Ugh. She even corrected him by saying "You mean 'Yes Ma'am' ". The next sound was me turing off the radio.
    Honest mistake.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Icon23 View Post
    What do you expect, he couldn't see her!

I was listening to the game yesterday in the car for almost 10 minutes - Sterling didn't give the score.
    He's so bad. How does he NOT get fired?

Finally, I'd had enough and looked it up on my phone.
    Sad, really.

Thread Information