+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 John Sterling Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    You miss the old, crowded corridors, and the long wait to get into Monument Park?
    The old, crowded corridors I don't miss. Monument Park is irrelevant, because I think I went there once. In general, getting in and out of the new Stadium is hugely easier, as is moving around, getting food and going to the bathroom.

Once you're inside the ballpark itself, though, there isn't anything I like about the new Stadium. It's an extremely ordinary place where the Yankees happen to play.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Once you're inside the ballpark itself, though, there isn't anything I like about the new Stadium. It's an extremely ordinary place where the Yankees happen to play.
    You were expecting waterslides and a petting zoo?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I would assume both of those things are available at Marlins Park.

I feel as though... in the old stadium - the Yankees baseball game was the main attraction.
    Now, it feels like it isn't.
    Whatever.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF HOF

The old, crowded corridors I don't miss. Monument Park is irrelevant, because I think I went there once. In general, getting in and out of the new Stadium is hugely easier, as is moving around, getting food and going to the bathroom.

I liked it better when the three monuments and the flagpole were on the field of play. It made things special--and I am not the only kid who thought the players were actually buried there (until I was maybe 9 years old and learned the truth).
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

I've been to a number of other "new" parks that I found considerably more interesting, attractive and distinctive than NYS. They were just nicer places to watch games.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I would assume both of those things are available at Marlins Park.
    Marlins Park is awful.

I have been to most of the new parks and that's by far the worst one.

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

A)I had thought he was (going) senile, but looking at the two posts on the last page, he clearly is.

B)He was probably told by management to fellate the new Stadium do seats can get (re)sold.

C)I've been to over 200 games and I don't like the new Stadium.

I've been to a number of other "new" parks that I found considerably more interesting, attractive and distinctive than NYS. They were just nicer places to watch games.
    I don't mind the new Yankee Stadium at all, but outside of the teams that play in them I much prefer Camden Yards. Doesn't have any crazy bells and whistles, just a great park in a great location. YSIII does seem a bit bland, but I'm there to watch baseball.

I don't think Yankee Stadium is as good as Nationals Park or Citizens Bank Park. Those are my two favorites.

Safeco is awfully nice as well.

I think AT&T Park in SF is extremely overrated.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scine20 View Post
    I don't think Yankee Stadium is as good as Nationals Park or Citizens Bank Park. Those are my two favorites.

Safeco is awfully nice as well.
    Those Parks have an advantage, because John Sterling isn't sitting in them.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Heh... John and Suzyn just called us out.
    Juan Pierre: pwning South Dakota one cornfield at a time.

(double post)

Quote Originally Posted by ZooYawker View Post
    Heh... John and Suzyn just called us out.
    How so?
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

How so?
    Hey were commenting on how certain people disparage Jeter's defensive capabilities from behind the comfort of their computer screens. An arguably fair point, sure - but they said it in such a smug, self-satisfied way.

Watching on TV today. Can only imagine what he came up with for the McGehee HR. b

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZooYawker View Post
    Hey were commenting on how certain people disparage Jeter's defensive capabilities from behind the comfort of their computer screens. An arguably fair point, sure - but they said it in such a smug, self-satisfied way.

Oh.

I thought you were going to say he got a call right.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

I listened to the first few innings of the game today, and I'm relieved to find that both John and Suzyn survived the game unscathed. I was afraid one of them was going to get seriously injured trying to say "Hechavarria."
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I'm an avid Sterling hater. I am to the point where almost any time he opens his mouth he annoys me. However the Ichiro/Japanese thing is a stretch. The call is stupid no doubt. But the fact that it brings attention to his nationality means nothing. Ichiro and Matsui were the best of the best over there and when they came here their draw was not only the teams they played for the a new fanbase, a country half way around the world tuing in, and a whole new set of press. They are known and their careers are defined as two of the most successful Japanese players to come to MLB. Why can we still applaud the African American players that broke through and were superstars, and highlight their race, and not do the same with one of the biggest Japanese stars in history. I personally think this is a stretch, something not worth any thought. And again, I HATE Sterling.
    If Sterling started yelling things about an African American's race after he hit a home run, I think plenty of people would object.

Again, this isn't that Sterling is being racist. It's just that's it's another example of his obnoxious and irrelevant calls, to go with his terrible play by play work, that ruin the listening experience for many fans. when I see Ichiro play, I think things like, "still fast...once a great hitter...cannon of an arm." I don't think, "Japanese!"

Whatever...if this were the one issue with Sterling it wouldn't be a big one. It's just the latest one and a typical Sterling low rent call.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Watching on TV today. Can only imagine what he came up with for the McGehee HR.
    Just the most obvious thing imaginable ... "Casey at the bat."

You would think he could at least have said "Mighty Casey has NOT struck out," "Mighty Casey has gone deep," or something a bit less lame.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    If Sterling started yelling things about an African American's race after he hit a home run, I think plenty of people would object.
    I can hear it now..."The Brown Bomber gets another knockout!" Yeah, that'd go over well.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Just the most obvious thing imaginable ... "Casey at the bat."

You would think he could at least have said "Mighty Casey has NOT struck out," "Mighty Casey has gone deep," or something a bit less lame.
    I had the game on the radio and couldnt believe he went with that call. Fail! His calls are actually getting worse.

I heard about five minutes of John and Suzyn tonight. it was as Jeter walked and then Swisher's home run. It was unbelievable how many stupid things he said in about five minutes of broadcast.

He raved about Yankee Stadium. This a minute or so after Swisher's grand slam. He said how he travels around the country and a lot of people tell him they've never been there. So he said anybody listening should really go to a game and see how well manicured the field is. Presumably, this is unique to Yankee Stadium. He then said how 'engaging' all the signage is. I don't even know what that means.

He also mentioned how when ARod gets back, it will stop the other team from using lefthanders against "cano and Teixeira". given that Tex's ops is about 110 points better against lefthanders, I'm not sure what he's talking about. But oh well.

I heard about five minutes of John and Suzyn tonight. it was as Jeter walked and then Swisher's home run. It was unbelievable how many stupid things he said in about five minutes of broadcast.

He raved about Yankee Stadium. This a minute or so after Swisher's grand slam. He said how he travels around the country and a lot of people tell him they've never been there. So he said anybody listening should really go to a game and see how well manicured the field is. Presumably, this is unique to Yankee Stadium. He then said how 'engaging' all the signage is. I don't even know what that means.

He also mentioned how when ARod gets back, it will stop the other team from using lefthanders against "cano and Teixeira". given that Tex's ops is about 110 points better against lefthanders, I'm not sure what he's talking about. But oh well.
    I heard the samething and he went on how full the staidum was with its 5 magnificent decks. No mention of the empty seats/rows in the moat though.

NYYF Cy Young

anybody listening should really go to a game and see how well manicured the field is.
    I guess this is for new fans who have never been to a baseball game before?

The funny part is when I was at Yankee Stadium last homestand, I remember noticing how terrible the grass looked for a Major League stadium- how you could see the outline of the stage from the Roger Waters concert in the outfield and could still make out the lines of the soccer field in parts of the infield.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    I heard the samething and he went on how full the staidum was with its 5 magnificent decks. No mention of the empty seats/rows in the moat though.
    5? Is he counting the suite level as a deck or am I missing something?

Thread Information