+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Re: 2012 John Sterling Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but is it just me or does it seem like he's getting more and more trigger happy with his hr calling. I feel like too often i hear "Hit in the air to deep center...so on....and then the ball is caught no where near the track.
    That's because each HR call is a twenty second event. He has to commit early.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

was watching the end on television, did he yell "The Highlanders Win, The Highlanders WIN!" today?
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

His homer call for Chavez was horrible. Ultravez??

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    His homer call for Chavez was horrible. Ultravez??

"otra vez" means again. Its still bad.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by wexy View Post
    "otra vez" means again. Its still bad.
    Ha, woops.

Sterling continues to call it wrong

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...5uFqhU36VTIN/0

He's not wrong in this case, but I can't stand Mushnick.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Mushnick always bashes Sterling but its still funny to read.

From the same column:

Ken Singleton, during Friday’s Yankees-Red Sox game on YES: “Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone have the same middle name in Boston.”
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Mushnick is the epitome of a hack and I always find it amusing when he is critical towards anyone else.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

I listened to the game on XM and then at home, on KESN. WHAT A PLEASURE listening to the game with real announcers rather than Sterling and Waldman.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    I listened to the game on XM and then at home, on KESN. WHAT A PLEASURE listening to the game with real announcers rather than Sterling and Waldman.
    I was listening to the game on Monday via my SiriusXM app.. OMG - I had the game on maybe 20 seconds and I knew the score, the amount of outs, who was hitting and who was pitching within that time frame.
    There'll be times I get into my car, turn on WCBS and won't know any of that for 10 minutes!
    It sux to be forced to listen to these a$$clowns.....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

For a market like NY, how we end up with these two announcers on the radio is beyond me. I listenened to the ESPN broadcast Monday in the car and actually knew what was going on.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    For a market like NY, how we end up with these two announcers on the radio is beyond me. I listenened to the ESPN broadcast Monday in the car and actually knew what was going on.
    I just hope whoever replaces them doesn't try to imitate them, or use any of Sterling's catch phrases, which have (unfortunately) become ingrained in NY sports culture.

I just hope whoever replaces them doesn't try to imitate them, or use any of Sterling's catch phrases, which have (unfortunately) become ingrained in NY sports culture.
    I don't think we'll have to worry about this..... No one wants to be looked upon as moronically stupid.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

I do think he's making more mistakes this year than ever. Whether that's because he's getting older, who knows. I think it's a lack of concentration.

I found it interesting that Sterling doesn't do the manager's show anymore. Maybe they are taking some of his work away from him?

I listened to pretty much the entire game on Saturday. As the Yankees started coming back and the game got more interesting, the quality of his announcing rose. He concentrates more and he didn't make one mistake during the entire comeback, which, for those who listen, is rare.

But I think he's probably slightly bored with the average Tuesday night game against the Twins and it shows when he blows counts, player's names, etc.

I still think that no one calls a big moment better than Sterling and that's why I expect him to be back next season. I actually think both Sterling and Waldman will be back.

With all of the Yanks legendary broadcasters, why try to imitate the worst one?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    With all of the Yanks legendary broadcasters, why try to imitate the worst one?
    Sometimes I wish Sterling would imitate Scooter...and leave in the 7th. Of course, that would leave Suzyn.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by scine20 View Post
    I still think that no one calls a big moment better than Sterling and that's why I expect him to be back next season. I actually think both Sterling and Waldman will be back.
    Big moments are the worst. He goes full schtick with double crap for people like Teix and Granderson, which in the heat of the moment, brings it all back to being "The John Sterling Show, with Suzyn Waldman. Also appearing, the New York Yankees."

A great announcer, or even a good one, would go with the moment, and forget to include their "signature calls". Could you tell one A-Bomb From A-Rod from any other? Going with the flow is how we end up with "Do you believe in miracles!", "I don't believe what I just saw!" "Touch em all Joe you'll never hit a bigger home run in your life" and of course, "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!"

Could you imagine John Sterling calling the Bobby Thomson shot?

"Branca winds. Theeeeee pitch. There it goes to deep left field. Mmm it is high. Mmm it is far. Mmm it is GONE! Ohhhhh Bobby goes Boom! Bobby Thomson has sent the New York Giants to the World Series! Ball Game Over. National League playoff series over! Giants win! THHHHEEEEEEEEEE GIANTS WIN!"

Yeah, I'll take Russ Hodges.

Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Sometimes I wish Sterling would imitate Scooter...and leave in the 7th. Of course, that would leave Suzyn.
    Holy cow, give that huckelberry a canoli.

Big moments are the worst. He goes full schtick with double crap for people like Teix and Granderson, which in the heat of the moment, brings it all back to being "The John Sterling Show, with Suzyn Waldman. Also appearing, the New York Yankees."

A great announcer, or even a good one, would go with the moment, and forget to include their "signature calls". Could you tell one A-Bomb From A-Rod from any other? Going with the flow is how we end up with "Do you believe in miracles!", "I don't believe what I just saw!" "Touch em all Joe you'll never hit a bigger home run in your life" and of course, "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!"

Could you imagine John Sterling calling the Bobby Thomson shot?

"Branca winds. Theeeeee pitch. There it goes to deep left field. Mmm it is high. Mmm it is far. Mmm it is GONE! Ohhhhh Bobby goes Boom! Bobby Thomson has sent the New York Giants to the World Series! Ball Game Over. National League playoff series over! Giants win! THHHHEEEEEEEEEE GIANTS WIN!"

Yeah, I'll take Russ Hodges.
    He actually did a nice job when Jeter got his 3,000 hit. Much better than Kay.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    He probably had it scripted out, either on paper or in his head, with the only variable being it was a HR instead of a single or double. I was talking about an unexpected, or game winning hit, where classic calls go with the flow, rather than Sterling who MUST include his cliches.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Holy cow, give that huckelberry a canoli.
    The really funny thing, is I can hear him saying it.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Till the postgame when he called it Jeter's 5000th hit.

He probably had it scripted out, either on paper or in his head, with the only variable being it was a HR instead of a single or double. I was talking about an unexpected, or game winning hit, where classic calls go with the flow, rather than Sterling who MUST include his cliches.
    Remember him stepping on Charlie Steiner's call on the Aaron Boone home run? What an a__hole.
    Hank 'N Hal's Country Club -- where accountability is soooo 1990s!

Thread Information