+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 John Sterling Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I agree, since I've been in that position too - but at what frequency does constant score updates start becoming annoying to those watching the game for a while? What's the optiumum frequency?
    You mean to those listening for a while?

Again, it's radio. The count and score need to be constants. I was taught in school at least once every three minutes, unless there's a reason to give it sooner. I had heard the egg-timer story, too, and I think that's a good barometer

Think of it this way: How often, when watching on YES, do you look up at the scorebug, because you've forgotten the count? When you're at the game, how often do you look at the board for the count?

That's roughly how often Sterling needs to give the score and count. I was also always taught to give the score whenever you're wondering what the score is. Because, if you're wondering, you probably have a few listeners that are wondering, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    A quick "2-1 Yanks" is far preferable to "we are so far up here we can't see a thing" every 2 minutes or so.
    Seriously. I heard much of yesterday's 1st game on the radio and I must have heard them say how bad their view was at least 8 times.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    To go six minutes without giving a score on a radio broadcast is incredibly poor work from Sterling. That's one of those things you're taught to do constantly. Six minutes, to someone listening in a car on the way home from the supermarket (which really is the audience he's broadcasting to), is an eternity.
    I just thank god that phones exist that are able to give me sports updates. When listening to sterling, I rely on the MLB At Bat app to give me the score, who's on base, etc when I turn on a game late.

That's my biggest peeve about Sterling - he doesn't update the score often enough.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesrule View Post
    I just thank god that phones exist that are able to give me sports updates. When listening to sterling, I rely on the MLB At Bat app to give me the score, who's on base, etc when I turn on a game late.
    That's our point, though. You shouldn't have to do that. Again, his target audience are people driving in the car. You have to give those people everything they need.

I use the CBS app, but same here. I also always have it on.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball:
    CBS: Evil Empire
    Yahoo: Special OPS

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    He butchered Tex's triple tonight. Called it a HR.
    Let me guess what he said next, "just about in every other park in the majors was that a HR".

I sat in my driveway on Saturday afternoon in the car waiting for a score update that never came. He told me that a scoring play was changed to a 7-4-3, but no update on the actual game score. We are halfway through the last season with him & her.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    That's my biggest peeve about Sterling - he doesn't update the score often enough.
    He doesn't update the score because on some level he knows that a significant percentage of people tune in to hear the score and will leave once they hear it.

He's the most bad-faith media person I've ever heard. He announces solely for his own benefit. I guess the silver lining is that it's only baseball.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    He doesn't update the score because on some level he knows that a significant percentage of people tune in to hear the score and will leave once they hear it.

He's the most bad-faith media person I've ever heard. He announces solely for his own benefit. I guess the silver lining is that it's only baseball.
    You know, I wonder if WCBS tells him not to tell the score too much... there are so many damn ads on the broadcast that the longer people have to tune in to hear the score, the more money CBS gets from ads

NYYF Legend

You know, I wonder if WCBS tells him not to tell the score too much... there are so many damn ads on the broadcast that the longer people have to tune in to hear the score, the more money CBS gets from ads
    No, this is just John being an awful broadcaster. No sales/marketing person is instructing the broadcaster to intentionally screw the listeners.

In 2009, the Sterling /Waldman act was broadcast at top volume in the AUDI club. Thankfully they switched over to YES in 2010, even with the 5 second delay it is still better than listening to the radio. It was at YS in person where I realized how fake the 'it is high, it is far' stuff really was.....the ball was over the wall before he began his call.

"Tex's Two-Step."

I'm surprised ESPN beat Sterling to the punch.

Speaking of Met announcers, how can anybody enjoy listening to Josh Lewin and his annoying lisp? He sounds like Sylvester the cat calling the game: "Johan Thantana went the disthanths for the Meths, giving up thix runs while striking out theven and walking four."

yesterday he said that the Yankees "would not be in first place" if it weren't for Clay Rapada

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    yesterday he said that the Yankees "would not be in first place" if it weren't for Clay Rapada
    he also said that jayson nix will be jeter's heir at SS
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

All predictions for possible ichiro HR calls?

Oh my! Ichiro Suzuki drops a doozie!

Quote Originally Posted by Numark View Post
    All predictions for possible ichiro HR calls?
    I-cha-ro makes the opposing pitcher his bi-cha-ro...

(Sorry. Too much free time lately.)

Alright, alright, alright... Big_E's Avatar
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Ichiro has some reach-e-ro.
    Sayonara Suzuki
    Domo-arigato Mr Ichiro

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Sterling might not need a home run call for Ichiro!
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    At Yankee Stadium?

I'm thinking with Sterling's love for Broadway he'll work in a Pacific Overtures reference but I haven't figured out how yet.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

"He's the Bambichiro"

NYYF Cy Young

Omigosh, I laughed.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

NYYF Cy Young

英雄 (えいゆう
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

he will have 20 prepared, though

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    At Yankee Stadium?

I'm thinking with Sterling's love for Broadway he'll work in a Pacific Overtures reference but I haven't figured out how yet.
    Actually, it's more like Sterling's love of his own voice.

Thread Information