+ Reply to Thread
Page 92 of 112 FirstFirst ... 42 82 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 102 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2785
  1. #2276

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Well, but I think 1) A-Rod would not be easy to get rid of and 2) assuming they keep him, he's going to have to go through an Ichiro like transition to becoming more of a good/supporting player than a star. He appears to be more of a 110-120 OPS+ guy who plays 120-130 games a year, vs. being one of the best hitters in the game. I am sure this hurts him and it's painful to watch, but if he's going to keep playing baseball he's going to have to accept a different role and status. And that's probably true wherever he plays.
    yeah, but it's easier to do that somewhere else and not standing next to Jeter and listening to Yankee fans harangue him.

    I agree it won't be easy. But the Yankees are effectively starting to eat his salary anyway and will continue to do so unless he somehow becomes a full time player next year. If his time against right handers will only decline (and there's no reason to think his production agains tthem will rise at this point), then he is at best a half time player.

    earlier this year I said perhaps the Dodgers would take Tex in exchange for Loney (this was in April, months before the Red Sox trade). But if they can get some salary relief on the ARod deal, they could keep Tex and re-sign Cano long term.

    He is not going to be here for five more years. One way or another, he will be gone within 2.

  2. #2277

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    I don't have any problem benching A-Rod. In fact, the lineup I made last night didn't have A-Rod in it. My problem, which is a huge problem, is the fact that Girardi singled out A-Rod instead of benching Swisher and/or Granderson along with him. There is not a reasonable argument to be made that says playing Granderson is a good idea. Now all the focus is on Alex and unjustifiably so.

    A-Rod deserves some blame for this series, but Cano and Granderson deserve more in my opinion.
    If it was a lefthander, I don't think ARod would sit. And it's harder to bench Granderson anyway, as he is a centerfielder and still is more likely to hit a home run at YS today than ARod.

  3. #2278

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    What a three-day stretch it's been for Joe Girardi, Alex Rodriguez, the whole team, and its fans.

    I don't know how tonight is going to play out, but I do want to make one point. Pinch-hitting Ibanez on Wednesday night, and pinch-hitting Thursday night, were easy to debate because the results of each decision were known two minutes after we all became aware of the decision. The first made Girardi look like a genius; the second didn't work out and therefore, not surprisingly, has many more critics. I know, many people will say they hated Chavez pinch-hitting before they knew what would happen. No reason not to believe them. But that's not my point.

    My point is that because we'll have to wait hours to see how this lineup pays off -- that includes all of the decisions that went into it, such as benching A-Rod, not benching Granderson or Swisher, etc. -- the debate has been fierce, some of the most animated and forceful arguments on all sides that we've seen on this forum in a long time. It's fascinating stuff.

    Personally, I don't know what I think but my gut tells me this is a good lineup and I'm comfortable with it. But I can see all sides of the argument.

    Just want to say we're all rooting for a win tonight above all else ... let's not forget that.

    Be excellent to each other, and Go Yankees.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  4. #2279
    NYYF Legend

    wileedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Milltown, NJ

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    I don't have any problem benching A-Rod. In fact, the lineup I made last night didn't have A-Rod in it. My problem, which is a huge problem, is the fact that Girardi singled out A-Rod instead of benching Swisher and/or Granderson along with him. There is not a reasonable argument to be made that says playing Granderson is a good idea. Now all the focus is on Alex and unjustifiably so.

    A-Rod deserves some blame for this series, but Cano and Granderson deserve more in my opinion.
    Why is it so hard to understand we don't have an OFer with a .908 OPS against righties sitting on the bench like we do at 3rd? If Arod's name wasn't Arod this move would be a no brainer.

  5. #2280

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wileedog View Post
    Why is it so hard to understand we don't have an OFer with a .908 OPS against righties sitting on the bench like we do at 3rd? If Arod's name wasn't Arod this move would be a no brainer.
    Why is it so hard to understand that Granderson is a liability defensively and cannot even make contact right now? Gardner, at the very least, will provide way better defense and he can't possibly be worse offensively.

  6. #2281
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    I know what the potential holds for Granderson, but to me I am not convinced that he will even make contact let alone possibly hit a HR. I would have gambled, and I realize what the potential numbers show for Curtis, and put Suzuki in CF. I thought it was worth the gamble yesterday, putting Ibanez bat into the line-up against Saunders, and I do not think that that Granderson adds anything to the offense at this point except the possiblity of more bad ABs.

  7. #2282

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Why is it so hard to understand that Granderson is a liability defensively and cannot even make contact right now? Gardner, at the very least, will provide way better defense and he can't possibly be worse offensively.
    I can't see that comparasion. Granderson hit 43 home runs this year. Gardner barely played.

    Chavez and Arod promise the same basic level of production, particularly against right handers. Granderson remains far more likely to provide power than Gardner, who hasn't even played centerfield in three years.

  8. #2283
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    yeah, but it's easier to do that somewhere else and not standing next to Jeter and listening to Yankee fans harangue him.

    I agree it won't be easy. But the Yankees are effectively starting to eat his salary anyway and will continue to do so unless he somehow becomes a full time player next year. If his time against right handers will only decline (and there's no reason to think his production agains tthem will rise at this point), then he is at best a half time player.

    earlier this year I said perhaps the Dodgers would take Tex in exchange for Loney (this was in April, months before the Red Sox trade). But if they can get some salary relief on the ARod deal, they could keep Tex and re-sign Cano long term.

    He is not going to be here for five more years. One way or another, he will be gone within 2.
    Problem is, I can't imagine any other team giving meaningful salary relief for A-Rod. While he can be a decent player now (not right now, but over the course of a year) at a ridiculous cost, he's going to become a $20 million/year albatross at the back end. Hopefully they can find some kind of creative way to get out of this, but I don't see how it won't be ugly.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  9. #2284
    NYYF Legend

    wileedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Milltown, NJ

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Why is it so hard to understand that Granderson is a liability defensively and cannot even make contact right now? Gardner, at the very least, will provide way better defense and he can't possibly be worse offensively.
    I think there is a better chance of Granderson walking into a chance HR into right than Gardner who hasn't played all year contributing much offensively.

    While I might have played Gardner too, I certainly in no way think playing a guy with 40 HRs this year over a guy who might not hit that many in his carer with 31 whole ABs this entire season is a fireable offense worth the amount of lineup-rage being thrown around.

  10. #2285
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    re starting CG, you need him if only for the D, and not cool to put it on Brett under these circumstances. it does raise the Q, tho -- if Brett can't really play, why wasn't Dickerson put on the roster ?? Now obviously, per wileedog, Chavez's stats make the substitution a no-brainer as soon as you step back from the A Rod circus. Dickerson's not really a correlate for the OF. But he might have been the only viable option if it's clear CG remains lost in space at the plate. Just a dissilusioned hypothetical bitch. Step lively, now, move on !!

  11. #2286

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I can't see that comparasion. Granderson hit 43 home runs this year. Gardner barely played.

    Chavez and Arod promise the same basic level of production, particularly against right handers. Granderson remains far more likely to provide power than Gardner, who hasn't even played centerfield in three years.
    Granderson cannot make contact. He's not going to provide anything.

  12. #2287

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Granderson cannot make contact. He's not going to provide anything.
    I think he will today. mark it down.

  13. #2288
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tejas

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Id much rather bench Granderson, play Ibanez in the field and DH Arod or Chavez. JMO.

    Arod has been bad, but Granderson is beyond lost at the plate. At least Arod isn't swinging at pitches 2ft out of the strikezone and striking out on 3 pitches repeatedly (averages 3.8 p/PA) .

    Arod has 2 hits vs 1 for granderson (and Arod had several good hard hit balls that got caught), 2 walks vs. 1, double the hits, etc.

    Granderson has been batting below the Mendoza line since JULY
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

  14. #2289

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    I loved the decision to sit Arod for Chavez, but hitting Ibanez against the lefty there instead of PH Arod might be riding the hot streak a little too much.

  15. #2290

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    And that's why you dont bench granderson!

    I told you all so.

  16. #2291

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    And that's why you dont bench granderson!

    I told you all so.
    Yeah, but you say a lot of things..
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  17. #2292
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Charles View Post
    Granderson cannot make contact. He's not going to provide anything.
    You wuz saylin', bro ??!!

  18. #2293

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Yeah, but you say a lot of things..
    Let's not bring the Red Sox thing up , please.

  19. #2294

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    Let's not bring the Red Sox thing up , please.
    *stands down*

    /for now
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  20. #2295

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    You wuz saylin', bro ??!!
    Here to eat crow.

  21. #2296
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by spikeowenfan View Post
    I loved the decision to sit Arod for Chavez, but hitting Ibanez against the lefty there instead of PH Arod might be riding the hot streak a little too much.
    I was fine with that, but how does he not PH A-Rod for Chavez with a LH reliever?

  22. #2297

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    You had your fun..now remember to play #13 tomorrow.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

  23. #2298

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Girardi made the right moves, and the Yankees advance.

    What a week it's been for him.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  24. #2299

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Gutsy series by the manager with a heavy heart. Good for him. Hopefully Cano/A-Rod/Swisher/Granderson make Girardi look smarter and hit early and often in the ALCS

  25. #2300
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Good job by Joe keeping Granderson in the line-up as he did in fact run into one. And that is why I am not a ML manager because I would have sat Curtis and would have been wrong.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts