+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 112 FirstFirst ... 28 68 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2785

Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gold23 View Post
    Surround your best hitter with the two guys failing miserably over the last few years in October. Smart.
    Joe McCarthy would know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankeesFan92 View Post
    Joe McCarthy would know what to do.
    Yeah - bat Rolfe/DiMaggio/Gehrig/Dickey in the 2-5 spots. I think even I could have done that.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Don't like Swisher behind Cano.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah - bat Rolfe/DiMaggio/Gehrig/Dickey in the 2-5 spots. I think even I could have done that.
    Good one.

The lineup is out, from Sweeny. I like Chavez @ 3rd. (thx YT!!)
    Jeter Suzuki ARod-DH Cano Swisher Teixeira Granderson Martin Chavez
    https://twitter.com/YankeesWFAN

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    The lineup is out, from Sweeny. I like Chavez DH'ing.
    A-rod is DHing, Chavez is playing 3rd.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    A-rod is DHing, Chavez is playing 3rd.
    ugh, so burnt, thats what I meant.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Unless CC is not capable of going on 3 days, I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Unless CC is not capable of going on 3 days, I don't get it.
    If it is a must win game, I'd rather have my #1 out there and not save him for a game that may never happen.

Michael Kay@RealMichaelKay Girardi makes the right move, keeping Arod in the three hole and not listening to the hysteria of the outside world.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    If it is a must win game, I'd rather have my #1 out there and not save him for a game that may never happen.
    Exactly. You worry about game 5 if there is a game 5.

I can't understand how Swisher moves up in the lineup...It's like Girardi lives in the bizarro world. Don't hit move up into more of an RBI spot and Ibanez was getting hot toward the end of the regular season and there's no sign of him anywhere.

What I don't get is saying CC should pitch the fourth game on three days rest if the Yankees lose tonight.

They would have to win two games. CC and Hughes would have to pitch those games in some order. Why not choose the order that gives them the best chance to win, which presumably is the order that gives CC normal rest? Hughes, on the other hand, has had more than enough rest as it is and probably has a better chance in the 4th game against their 4th starter.

This lame bit about having to win the 4th game before playing the 5th makes absolutely no sense unless you think it is somehow better to lose in 5 games than in 4. I can see that from a Yankee business perspective, but not at all from a winning the ALDS perspective.

Unless someone can explain this to me, anyone taking this position is going to lose most of their credibility with me.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonMattingly View Post
    I can't understand how Swisher moves up in the lineup...It's like Girardi lives in the bizarro world. Don't hit move up into more of an RBI spot and Ibanez was getting hot toward the end of the regular season and there's no sign of him anywhere.
    Joey G is doubling down big-time on thems that brung ya to the dance theory !!

He's choosing to ignore A Rod's current 1-13 w 8 K's playoff slide and Swish's daunting 1-33 w RSIP playoff stats. Hey, talk is cheap, that is BELIEF. Let's hope his hunch pays off. In any case, good move to DH A Rod and get Chavez, who has good numbers vs Gonzalez, in there.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Unless someone can explain this to me, anyone taking this position is going to lose most of their credibility with me.
    For me it would depend a bunch of how CC felt -- and he did throw 120 pitches last time. But it's a coherent theory to want CC to go game 4, even tho you need two. The reason is, you manage games 4 and 5 differently. game 5 is all hands on deck. Phil has been inconsistent all yr, but in a game 4 you would typically give him a longer leash as you can't burn all of your pen reserves say if he falters early, whereas you can certainly do this in a game 5, assuming you bank a W and rest your pen in a game 4 W behind CC. I don't think it's a slam dunk, but it's a credible position and maybe the better one IMO if you feel that CC is good to go.

it also might depend on pitching matchups. say, If BALT throws a better pitcher in game 4, then Phil in game 5 might also work better if you expect to mash that much more against a lesser pitcher game 5, giving Phil a little more margin for error.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Arod is fine. He's making good contact, even with RISP. He's also getting on base.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Those wins in the 90s came too easy. The one in 2009 came at a heavy price, and AROD delivered. AROD! AROD!

Quote Originally Posted by diogenes View Post
    Those wins in the 90s came too easy. The one in 2009 came at a heavy price, and AROD delivered. AROD! AROD!
    What does this mean?

Were you watching the games from 1996-2000? Lots of big games, lots of world-class opposing pitchers, lots of moments where doubt crept in.

And what "heavy price" was paid in 2009?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    For me it would depend a bunch of how CC felt -- and he did throw 120 pitches last time. But it's a coherent theory to want CC to go game 4, even tho you need two. The reason is, you manage games 4 and 5 differently. game 5 is all hands on deck. Phil has been inconsistent all yr, but in a game 4 you would typically give him a longer leash as you can't burn all of your pen reserves say if he falters early, whereas you can certainly do this in a game 5, assuming you bank a W and rest your pen in a game 4 W behind CC. I don't think it's a slam dunk, but it's a credible position and maybe the better one IMO if you feel that CC is good to go.

it also might depend on pitching matchups. say, If BALT throws a better pitcher in game 4, then Phil in game 5 might also work better if you expect to mash that much more against a lesser pitcher game 5, giving Phil a little more margin for error.
    I don't see how it matters all that much honestly. In fact, to me if you HAVE to win both, I'd probably give priority to what sets you up better for the next series. Since there are no off days before the ALCS, I might be tempted to go to CC on 3 days rest just to try and have him a day earlier in the ALCS should they advance. Hopefully it's a moot point with a victory tonight.

NYYF Legend

i'm hoping his lineup pays dividends... lots of faith being put in certain players tonight
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I don't see how it matters all that much honestly. In fact, to me if you HAVE to win both, I'd probably give priority to what sets you up better for the next series. Since there are no off days before the ALCS, I might be tempted to go to CC on 3 days rest just to try and have him a day earlier in the ALCS should they advance. Hopefully it's a moot point with a victory tonight.
    yeah, hopefully it's a wildly interesting but deeply moot Q with a W tonite !! that said, i think you always have to focus on winning the game at hand rather than playing 3D chess. i am still hauted by the ghost of Chien Ming Wonger waiting in NYC for game 5 with Jughead Jaret taking the mound in elimination game 4 back in 2006 ALDS ...... somehow managing to steal thunder from the landmark genius move hitting A Rod 8th same series.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    i'm hoping his lineup pays dividends... lots of faith being put in certain players tonight
    Faith can move mountains but it can't speed up a slow bat.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

He's more worried about Arod's ego than winning games.

NYYF Cy Young

I don't think moving anyone anywhere in this lineup is gonna help. They are all putrid at the moment. Something's gotta give.

Thread Information