+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 112 FirstFirst ... 11 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 71 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2785
  1. #1501

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHit23Man View Post
    I am new here, It is not my intention to offend anyone. But I must express myself on this thread because it is maddening to me.

    Do I agree with all Joe's moves? No. But while I sit on my couch watching roughly 140 games per year, Joe is in the duggout, on the practice field, in the cages, speaking with coaches, ect ect ect. It would be nuts for me to think I could do better. As it is nuts for all of you.

    Do you all honestly think that A. you could do better, or B. if we had another manager we would have won the WS the last 4 years?

    This thread could be good for questioning moves here and there, but to actually sit in front of your pc's trashing him for starting a particular player acting like you are all knowing is insane.

    As we all know Joe is a play it by the book Manager.You know what your gonna get. He is pretty good with the bullpen, and in my opinion he has a good feel for his players. There I said my peace.
    I understand what you're saying here, but it's wrong. Just because he is the manager of the Yankees doesn't mean that he knows more than us about everything he does. Playing Jones and Ibanez over and over again is not a smart decision no matter how you slice it. Neither provide any positives anymore since they're not hitting for power. They don't walk, they're not good in the outfield, and they don't have speed. Just because Girardi is starting them doesn't mean he's right.

    Look at the former Diamondbacks' GM and the Angels' current GM. The D-Backs' GM traded Dan Haren to the Angels for a package headlined Joe Saunders. He then used the argument that Saunders had been one of the winningest pitchers in the league over the last couple years. That's not a way to evaluate a player. The Angels' GM was even worse. Anybody, literally anybody with any baseball knowledge whatsoever knew that trading Mike Napoli for Vernon Wells was absolute stupidity. Even if you wanted to make the case that Wells was the better player, which I wouldn't have because Napoli's poduction as a catcher was much more valuable than Wells' production, the trade was beyond stupid for the Angels because they took Wells' salary back. There was not an argument to be made in the Angels' defense. Should Angels' fans have just sat back and thought "well, the GM has more information than us and is around the team more than we are, so I have no right to evaluate this trade for myself."? No. They had every right to be angry because it was stupid, just as starting Ibanez and Jones is stupid.

  2. #1502
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    I believe Joe has now used Joba in 4 consecutive games. What happened to not trying to burn these guys out?
    Last edited by ymike673; 09-16-12 at 08:11 AM.

  3. #1503

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    What happened to night trying to burn these guys out?
    It was a day game.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  4. #1504
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    It was a day game.

    Spelling error. Has been corrected.

  5. #1505

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    I questioned a number of Girardi's decisions yesterday, including the placement of Alex before Roberts' double and Ibanez batting fifth behind Alex, especially with Granderson 7th against Shields. (The latter worked out quite well in the 2nd inning, however!)

    But by far the most stupid managerial move of the game was Maddon's having or at least allowing Francisco to bunt against Logan in the 7th behind 4-1. The Yankees were fortunate to have the Rays give them an out in that inning.

  6. #1506

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I believe Joe has now used Joba in 4 consecutive games. What happened to not trying to burn these guys out?
    It's Sept. 16. It's basically now or never. I don't think you can burn out someone who hasn't really pitched all year in just two weeks before the playoffs.

  7. #1507

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    I believe Joe has now used Joba in 4 consecutive games. What happened to not trying to burn these guys out?
    I understand you want Girardi replaced as manager, but let's be fair and accurate with the facts regarding his managing. Joba didn't pitch four days as indicated below in his game log. Furthermore, the Yankees are in a dog fight for the playoffs, all hands on deck philosophy should be adhere to by Girardi.

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/2...ba-chamberlain
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

  8. #1508

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I understand you want Girardi replaced as manager, but let's be fair and accurate with the facts regarding his managing. Joba didn't pitch four days as indicated below in his game log. Furthermore, the Yankees are in a dog fight for the playoffs, all hands on deck philosophy should be adhere to by Girardi.

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/2...ba-chamberlain
    Exactly. If this were mid-season I'm sure he would handle the bullpen differently but when you're in a battle for a play-off spot (and winning the division is huge, as opposed to being in a one game wild card play-off) Girardi is going to push the bullpen as hard as necessary. It would be nice if they had a cushion and could ease off the usage of important bullpen arms but unfortunately that cushion has been frittered away.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  9. #1509
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bronx

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    While it is inherently unfair, being a scapegoat is essentially part of the job of being a baseball manager/coach.

  10. #1510

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    While it is inherently unfair, being a scapegoat is essentially part of the job of being a baseball manager/coach.
    Most of us are long-time baseball fans and have already accepted that premise without it having to be stated. However, a GM that's been in place for 15 years and had total control of baseball operations for the last 7 years shouldn't be allowed to skate by considering the question mark filled roster his manager had to work with in mid July and August.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

  11. #1511

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    '62 --

    I am not sure how Cashman's being in place 15 years is relevant to his responsibility for the team's struggles after the All Star break. The team has done extremely well making the playoffs in those years. If you mean he should have had a great farm system full of talent to call up after all those years, I understand, but I don't agree that the farm system is in bad shape, especially relative to where the Yankees have been drafting. Also, a large number of key players on this team have come from the farm system or have secured through trades with use of the farm system.

    I don't see how Cashman passed up real opportunities to improve the team at the deadline, and I think the team, even with the injuries (for which neither the GM nor manager is responsible), clearly has the talent to make the playoffs. I'm not saying Girardi should be fired for a failure to do so, but I think it could be reasonable for ownership, with greater knowledge, to make that judgment without also firing Cashman.

    Hopefully, all this is moot, as the pitching seems to be coming together, Alex is swinging well, Nunez, with Joe's commendable support, may be providing a spark, and there is reason for optimism.

  12. #1512

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    '62 --

    I am not sure how Cashman's being in place 15 years is relevant to his responsibility for the team's struggles after the All Star break. The team has done extremely well making the playoffs in those years. If you mean he should have had a great farm system full of talent to call up after all those years, I understand, but I don't agree that the farm system is in bad shape, especially relative to where the Yankees have been drafting. Also, a large number of key players on this team have come from the farm system or have secured through trades with use of the farm system.

    I don't see how Cashman passed up real opportunities to improve the team at the deadline, and I think the team, even with the injuries (for which neither the GM nor manager is responsible), clearly has the talent to make the playoffs. I'm not saying Girardi should be fired for a failure to do so, but I think it could be reasonable for ownership, with greater knowledge, to make that judgment without also firing Cashman.

    Hopefully, all this is moot, as the pitching seems to be coming together, Alex is swinging well, Nunez, with Joe's commendable support, may be providing a spark, and there is reason for optimism.
    Cashman's tenure is relevant to me because since that 2005 news conference, I'm still waiting on his promise to use the farm system to supply the major league club with younger and cheaper talent. I guess I just expect more from the Yankee farm system than one great draft in 2006, one player like Phelps this year or Nova last season. IMO, I think Cashman/Girardi are paired together and whatever happens to one, the other should be re-evaluated too. As to opportunities to improve the ballclub in July, I'm more upset with Cashman/Steinbrenner with their failure to be more aggressive this past winter.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

  13. #1513
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Equestria

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    While it is inherently unfair, being a scapegoat is essentially part of the job of being a baseball manager/coach.
    Idk if it counts as being a scapegoat when you're singlehandedly responsible for several losses due to horrible mismanagement.

    See my signature.

  14. #1514

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Currently winning the division...fans want to fire the manager. This must be NYYF.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  15. #1515
    Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    CT

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Exactly. If this were mid-season I'm sure he would handle the bullpen differently but when you're in a battle for a play-off spot (and winning the division is huge, as opposed to being in a one game wild card play-off) Girardi is going to push the bullpen as hard as necessary. It would be nice if they had a cushion and could ease off the usage of important bullpen arms but unfortunately that cushion has been frittered away.
    Not to mention we have a day off today and if the weather forecast is accurate, most likely tomorrow off as well.
    Life is good!

  16. #1516
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    I'm hearing that the weather tomorrow is supposed to be horrible. Torrential Rains, and what not.

    Probably a rainout and a dreaded day night double header in the near future. Is there a reason why Girardi did not push harder for a retractable roof over the stadium? People complain about Sterling not being the best broadcaster out there and the Yankees deserving better. Yet no roof over the best franchises stadium. Girardi needs to be more forward thinking.
    Pardon, for us.

  17. #1517
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'm hearing that the weather tomorrow is supposed to be horrible. Torrential Rains, and what not.

    Probably a rainout and a dreaded day night double header in the near future. Is there a reason why Girardi did not push harder for a retractable roof over the stadium? People complain about Sterling not being the best broadcaster out there and the Yankees deserving better. Yet no roof over the best franchises stadium. Girardi needs to be more forward thinking.
    It was just to expensive to put a roof on the park. Besides if the Yankees are rained out tomorrow that will be the first rainout this season. Last season was bad for rain but two seasons ago no games were rained out.

  18. #1518
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    It was just to expensive to put a roof on the park. Besides if the Yankees are rained out tomorrow that will be the first rainout this season. Last season was bad for rain but two seasons ago no games were rained out.
    This is a bad time for a rainout and the Yankees are a multi-billion dollar outfit. Money is no object for this team. People pay 11 buck for a beer. Girardi blew it here, and I hope this weather does not ruin the good chance for another championship.
    Pardon, for us.

  19. #1519

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    This is a bad time for a rainout and the Yankees are a multi-billion dollar outfit. Money is no object for this team. People pay 11 buck for a beer. Girardi blew it here, and I hope this weather does not ruin the good chance for another championship.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  20. #1520

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    This is a bad time for a rainout and the Yankees are a multi-billion dollar outfit. Money is no object for this team. People pay 11 buck for a beer. Girardi blew it here, and I hope this weather does not ruin the good chance for another championship.
    I've been too focused on Girardi's complete mismanagement of Monument Park to even think about the roof situation. Point well made.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  21. #1521
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    This is a bad time for a rainout and the Yankees are a multi-billion dollar outfit. Money is no object for this team. People pay 11 buck for a beer. Girardi blew it here, and I hope this weather does not ruin the good chance for another championship.
    Sure, Joe should have planned better, but I blame Cashman for not upgrading in July when he had the chance. It was clear then that the weather would get worse in the fall and that this would be an issue for this team
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  22. #1522
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    I still say the team should have invested in cloud repellent technology. This way, you can redirect the rain to areas that need it more, and prevent interruption to the baseball schedule.

  23. #1523
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I'm hearing that the weather tomorrow is supposed to be horrible. Torrential Rains, and what not.

    Probably a rainout and a dreaded day night double header in the near future. Is there a reason why Girardi did not push harder for a retractable roof over the stadium? People complain about Sterling not being the best broadcaster out there and the Yankees deserving better. Yet no roof over the best franchises stadium. Girardi needs to be more forward thinking.
    I don't understand why you give Sterling a pass here. A better broadcaster might have made the difference in getting a domed stadium.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  24. #1524
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I don't understand why you give Sterling a pass here. A better broadcaster might have made the difference in getting a domed stadium.
    I'm not giving him a pass. The complaints are justified. I was just using Sterling as an example of how people were complaining about him, but not complaining about Girardi and the roof.

    Not complaining about Girardi not pushing for the roof doesn't make sense to me. Where is the outcry?
    Pardon, for us.

  25. #1525
    NYYF Legend

    ymike673's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    This is a bad time for a rainout and the Yankees are a multi-billion dollar outfit. Money is no object for this team. People pay 11 buck for a beer. Girardi blew it here, and I hope this weather does not ruin the good chance for another championship.
    I blame Girardi for some things but what does he have to do with a roof on the stadium?. When this stadium was planned Girardi was not the manager.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts