+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 112 FirstFirst ... 28 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 48 88 ... LastLast
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Lighten up Francis....
    why not try reading the posts.
    I'm sorry but your point that Girardi put the team in the best position to win because he put in Soriano in the 9th with a one-run lead was laughable...as if only a truly genius manager would have thought of it.

I'm concerned that mix-and-match hysteria will bite us in the playoffs.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    Exactly. Players don't come through more often than they do come through. It's the manager's job to put the team in the best position to win the game. Joe did not do that today.

He managed today as if the Yankees had won the first three of the series.
    This is exactly the point.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I'm sorry but your point that Girardi put the team in the best position to win because he put in Soriano in the 9th with a one-run lead was laughable...as if only a truly genius manager would have thought of it.

Again, I was only trying to point out what I thought was an unfair post . I could not agree MORE WITH YOU about Joe penchant for mixing/matching hurting the Yankees today. And as far as the future goes, I also share your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Is name calling necessary? Every Yankee fan that has posted in this thread after the game has acknowledged they didn't like how Girardi managed the bullpen after Phelps. He clearly made a mistake by going prematurely to these one dimensional relievers.
    I don't think saying Girardi apologists is name-calling....it's more of a cultural classification.

Again, I was only trying to point out what I thought was an unfair post . I could not agree MORE WITH YOU about Joe penchant for mixing/matching hurting the Yankees today. And as far as the future goes, I also share your concerns.
    OK, time to move on.....on to Seattle.

I don't think saying Girardi apologists is name-calling....it's more of a cultural classification.
    BS, it's name calling by trying to label posters you disagee with.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Yes, that managerial tendency to introduce more variables into the equation is a mine field in the playoffs.

BS, it's name calling by trying to label posters you disagee with.
    I'll give that some thought

I'll give that some thought
    I rather be with Catherine in her prime.

No.. I am... Not..
    I could not agree more about the mis-managing. Again, I was disputing "this loss is all on Joe" post.
    And precisely no one is disputing this. I have not read a single post congratulating the great offensive effort today or at any point this weekend. I have heard no one say that CC giving up two HRs to scrubs and allowing the A's back into the game was ace-like or even good. But none of that has any bearing whatsoever on Girardi's absolutely putrid decision to pull Phelps and decrease significantly our chances of winning the game. A manager needs to adjust to whatever the in-game situation is, and this is precisely where Girardi was sadly deficient today, and has been far too frequently.

I hated Girardi's weekly interview with Francesa before the A's series, though it wasn't all his fault. Francesa was all but jinxing the Yankees, saying things couldn't be going any better and kept asking if there's anything at all to be worried about with how well the Yanks had been playing going in. Girardi didn't call him out on it or kindly told him to shut his fat mouth up and the baseball gods have not been kind since- we're 0-4 with four 1-run losses and 2 in walkoff fashion, Orioles have gained 4 games in the standings in as many days, Gardner needs surgery and is out for the year, Swisher injures himself and is out for at least 3 more games. You're never as good or bad as you think you are!

Quote Originally Posted by Torre Must Go View Post
    I hated Girardi's weekly interview with Francesa before the A's series, though it wasn't all his fault. Francesa was all but jinxing the Yankees, saying things couldn't be going any better and kept asking if there's anything at all to be worried about with how well the Yanks had been playing going in. Girardi didn't call him out on it or kindly told him to shut his fat mouth up and the baseball gods have not been kind since- we're 0-4 with four 1-run losses and 2 in walkoff fashion, Orioles have gained 4 games in the standings in as many days, Gardner needs surgery and is out for the year, Swisher injures himself and is out for at least 3 more games. You're never as good or bad as you think you are!
    You really think it's a jinx that caused the Yankees to lose?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Right I agree that they should be getting time off, but as a manager he needs to look at the matchups and use accordingly. Not inserting him in the lineup any chance he gets.

Im just tired of seeing the no hitting, hacking, below average defense of Nix.
    Agreed. Nix killed us today. I'm tired of seeing him in the lineup.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

late to the party. pulling Phelps was simply DUMB, yet a classic joey G move where he seems to script everything out beforehand and take The Long View just about all the time, even when it makes no sense at all. Like, just for instance, after you've already lost the first 3 FFFFFFF ing games of the series. Are we really worried about burning out Phelps ?? Does the twitchy matchup stuff with B pen guys really make sense when best case it would save the game for hopefully DFA-in-waiting Qualls to blow it in the 12th ??

PS i was even a little surprised when CC was pulled after 7 with relatively low pitch count. Any reason or just Preordained Plan ?? And why was Boone Doggle, who is clearly better than the one-dimensional Rapada, sitting on his duff ??

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Agreed. Nix killed us today. I'm tired of seeing him in the lineup.
    He has to rest his older players. You don't like Nix then Cashman needs to get him a better alternative. I'm still shaking my head about the Phelps removal. Cashman needs to get him better reliever options as these one dimensional relievers will cost us come playoff time especially with Girardi's fixation on pitching/hitting matchups.

NYYF Legend

He has to rest his older players. You don't like Nix then Cashman needs to get him a better alternative.
    Did he ever explain why he brought in Jeter just after Nix's at-bat in the eighth? If he was going to get in the game at all, why not give him an at-bat over Nix?

And Jeter wound up playing four-and-a-half innings.

NYYF Legend

They sent Phelps to AAA so he could be stretched out and then Joe pulls him after 1.2 innings anyway. I know you have to rest guys but after losing the first 3 games to Oakland couldn't Joe have tried a little harder to win this one?
    And while the Rays and Sox did lose a few games this weekend the Orioles just refuse to die.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Did he ever explain why he brought in Jeter just after Nix's at-bat in the eighth? If he was going to get in the game at all, why not give him an at-bat over Nix?

IMO because he still had the lead. Girardi's thought process is kind of funny to say the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    They sent Phelps to AAA so he could be stretched out and then Joe pulls him after 1.2 innings anyway. I know you have to rest guys but after losing the first 3 games to Oakland couldn't Joe have tried a little harder to win this one?
    And while the Rays and Sox did lose a few games this weekend the Orioles just refuse to die.
    I ain't worry about the Orioles, not enough pitching.

NYYF Legend

He has to rest his older players. You don't like Nix then Cashman needs to get him a better alternative. I'm still shaking my head about the Phelps removal. Cashman needs to get him better reliever options as these one dimensional relievers will cost us come playoff time especially with Girardi's fixation on pitching/hitting matchups.
    True, and the OF injuries are exacerbating the problem. With that said, I would have liked to have seen Jeter in the starting lineup yesterday given the fact that he ended up coming into the game anyway, and we were trying to avoid a sweep.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Girardi's whole thought pattern about resting guys is all sorts of hosed up. This is the same genius that started ARod and Tex in both games of a double-header in Boston on the final day of the year back in 2010.
    Last edited by teknetic; 07-23-12 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post

There are two possible explanations for putting in Jeter after Nix's at-bat rather than before, neither of them good, imo. First, he did not think about using Jeter until after the at bat, when he thought about Nix, who is a marginal SS at best, blowing the double play earlier.

Second, he didn't want to make an offensive substitution with the lead. It is against the culture of the game and would send a bad message to Nix.

NYYF Legend

I ain't worry about the Orioles, not enough pitching.
    That could be true but after over half a season so far they are ahead of the Rays who we all know have great starting pitching.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    There are two possible explanations for putting in Jeter after Nix's at-bat rather than before, neither of them good, imo. First, he did not think about using Jeter until after the at bat, when he thought about Nix, who is a marginal SS at best, blowing the double play earlier.

Second, he didn't want to make an offensive substitution with the lead. It is against the culture of the game and would send a bad message to Nix.

So Nix would have been ofended by being pinch hit for by a future HOF with 3,000+ hits?

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    That could be true but after over half a season so far they are ahead of the Rays who we all know have great starting pitching.
    But, no hitting. The Yankees will win the AL East because they have the best balance with hitting and pitching.

Thread Information