+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 112 FirstFirst ... 22 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 42 82 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Exactly or you could have used Mitchel in game one and Epply in game 2 .

I agree. Mitchel in game one also makes sense. Why waste Eppley with a 5 run lead when you might need him in game two. Why rest players in a Red Sox series when except for 3 players they all get 4 days off after the series ends?

Because that's Joes way!

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Man, Joe looks absolutely exhausted at the Post-game press conference. Get some sleep, Joe.
    We toast to the old days and DiMaggio too,
    Billy Martin and Mantle, Whitey Ford and to you

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Please, logic has no place here
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

No reason to not use Wade in the 6-1 game. If he has trouble...then you adjust off that.

Dear Joe,

You never listen to me. But please, you don't have to start Darnell today just because a lefty is pitching. There is a reason Boston dumped him even though they have no outfielders.

Start Chavez at DH. He will tattoo the wall against the lefty. Even if he goes 0-4 that's what Darnell would do anyway. Play Jones, Grandy, and Swish in the outfield. Why is this so hard?

Stop over-thinking. Throw the binder away. Listen to the Ramones or something.

-- your pal, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    Dear Joe,

You never listen to me. But please, you don't have to start Darnell today just because a lefty is pitching. There is a reason Boston dumped him even though they have no outfielders.

Start Chavez at DH. He will tattoo the wall against the lefty. Even if he goes 0-4 that's what Darnell would do anyway. Play Jones, Grandy, and Swish in the outfield. Why is this so hard?

-- your pal, Phil
    What, you mean deliberately play a lefty against a lefty when you've got a right-handed alternative? Pass up the opportunity for a lefty-righty matchup, no matter how poorly considered it is?

That's just crazy talk.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Dear Joe,

-- your pal, Phil
    Well, he listened to you about Darnell anyway:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yan...-dh-martin-out
    Here is your Sunday night lineup:

Jeter, SS
    Granderson, CF
    Teixeira, 1B
    Rodriguez, 3B
    Cano, DH
    Swisher, RF
    Jones, LF
    Nix, 2B
    Stewart, C

Nova, P
    Why Cano needs the half day off is beyond me. Is Joe resting him tonight so he can be fresher for the stupid Home Run Derby tomorrow? I liked your idea of DHing Chavez better.

Another reason why the stupid hr derby is stupid. The Yankees have a weaker lineup tonight to get cano some rest that he should be getting the next four off days.
    Pardon, for us.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Why would Joe get blasted if he used Wade in the first game? A five run lead and you want to save your better relievers for the second game.
    A few weeks ago he used Wade with a six run lead and Wade pitched badley and had to be bailed out by Soriano. Nobody blasted Joe then because bringing in Wade made sense in that situation.
    If 6-1 turned to 6-5 I guarantee you he would have been blasted. My question is why was Wade even on the roster? No one else to call up for the DH?
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    If 6-1 turned to 6-5 I guarantee you he would have been blasted. My question is why was Wade even on the roster? No one else to call up for the DH?
    This says it all.

How about we not bat our best hitter 5th ever again?

That's a good idea. Batting him there is inexplicable.

But, whatever criticism I make of Girardi, I agree with my frequent target, AV, that I would much rather have him than Maddon, especially given some of Maddon's nasty comments.

Whatever decisions Girardi makes, I am never ashamed to root for a team he leads. Girardi really does seem like a good guy compared to most of the nasty managers in the game.

Its worth repeating. Mariano out of the year. Pineda out for the year. Gardner has played 9 games. Joba hasn't thrown a pitch. Robertson out for over a month. Sabathia and Pettite on the DL. And this team goes into the break with the best record in baseball and a comfortable lead in the division. Just imagine where they would be if the manager had a clue. We've got to get Joe Maddon next year or whoever the flavor of the day is.

7/03:

I know Maddon is the flavor of the day for you "Yankee Fans" that trash Giradi after every loss. But lets be very clear about one point, Giradi in his career has outperformed Maddon both as a player and manager. Its Maddon who needs to outmanuever Giradi and not the other way around.
    7/06:

They lost Marianno for the season, Pineda out for the season, Gardner has been out most of the year, Sabathia and Pettite on the DL, Joba hasn't pitched an inning, Robertson out for a month, many of the hitters below their career averages, and the team is in first place by 6 games in the loss column. Just imagine how good this team could be if they had a manger that knew what he was doing? Maybe we can get Joe Maddon next year.
    How about you add something relevant to this thread?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I thought that coming out of Spring Training, it was established that Joe was going to bat Cano third, period. Was I living in a parallel universe or something?

I like Girardi as manager overall but sometimes the way his brain works just makes me scratch my head.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I thought that coming out of Spring Training, it was established that Joe was going to bat Cano third, period. Was I living in a parallel universe or something?

I like Girardi as manager overall but sometimes the way his brain works just makes me scratch my head.
    You would think by now he would drop A Rod in the order but apparently thats not going to happen either.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    IIRC 5th is a more valuable lineup spot than 3rd if you're going by actual statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    IIRC 5th is a more valuable lineup spot than 3rd if you're going by actual statistics.
    I'd be curious to see the source for that. I think lineup spots are somewhat overrated, but I don't see how you can argue that batting higher in the order has at a minimum the benefit of ensuring a handful of extra at bats late in games over the course of a 162 game season. I don't see how slotting your best hitter 5th could possibly be advantageous.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'd be curious to see the source for that. I think lineup spots are somewhat overrated, but I don't see how you can argue that batting higher in the order has at a minimum the benefit of ensuring a handful of extra at bats late in games over the course of a 162 game season. I don't see how slotting your best hitter 5th could possibly be advantageous.
    It has to do with appearing in higher leverage situations.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/200...your-lineup-by

Well, Joe didn't screw anything up yesterday, as far as we know.

NYYF Legend

He should have pinch hit for Cano during the Home Run Derby

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I think he's being blamed for Cano being booed.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    It has to do with appearing in higher leverage situations.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/200...your-lineup-by
    Thanks for the link. Not sure how credible that is. I think the results are skewed. For example, the #5 hitter "can provide more value than the #3 guy with singles, doubles, triples, and walks, and avoiding outs" according to this, but doesn't the #5 hitter benefit from the fact that he has the teams best hitters in front of him every time through the lineup? Switching your #3 and #5, in your prototype hypothetical, the former #5 will make more outs and be on base less often than the former #3, flipping that "value" proposition upside down, no?

doesn't the #5 hitter benefit from the fact that he has the teams best hitters in front of him every time through the lineup?
    Not when 3-4-5 are Teixeira, Rodriguez and Cano he doesn't.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thanks for the link. Not sure how credible that is. I think the results are skewed. For example, the #5 hitter "can provide more value than the #3 guy with singles, doubles, triples, and walks, and avoiding outs" according to this, but doesn't the #5 hitter benefit from the fact that he has the teams best hitters in front of him every time through the lineup? Switching your #3 and #5, in your prototype hypothetical, the former #5 will make more outs and be on base less often than the former #3, flipping that "value" proposition upside down, no?
    Sky Kalkman writes for BP and seems to have a following within the sabermetrics community, so he does have some credibility. That doesn't necessarily mean that he has the answer.

Thread Information