+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 112 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 65 ... LastLast
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RF21 View Post
    With his hottest hitter up and the Catcher on 1st base ... he calls a 2 Strike, 2 Out Hit and run?
    was that a HaR call or did Jeter just go fishing outside ?? if it was called, obviously a blockhead move.

I'd be surprised if he'd call a HnR in that game at all with the swing and miss stuff Darvish was throwing.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Nunez at SS.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Girardi, post-game, 4/28/12:

"Freddy really battled today. You have to tip your cap to the Tigers. They have a great lineup, and sometimes you are going to get unlucky when these hitters every now and then catch up to a perfectly straight 84 MPH fastball and hanging breaking balls in the mid-70s. Freddy showed a lot today and did a lot of good things out there, and we fully expect that he will be ready to mow them down in his next start."

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    Girardi, post-game, 4/28/12:

"Freddy really battled today. You have to tip your cap to the Tigers. They have a great lineup, and sometimes you are going to get unlucky when these hitters every now and then catch up to a perfectly straight 84 MPH fastball and hanging breaking balls in the mid-70s. Freddy showed a lot today and did a lot of good things out there, and we fully expect that he will be ready to mow them down in his next start."
    Classic yet tragic yet classic .... !!!

For the love of God, how can Joe give Garcia another start? I mean Phelps has done nothing but succeed in the minors and deserves a shot.

NYYF Legend

What's terrible is with last Sunday's rainout and Thursday's off day Garcia could have been skipped this time around with no harm to the rest of the rotation. CC could have pitched today and maybe the Yankees win the game. But Girardi being as stubborn as ever just refuses to see the obvious. He will just keep trotting Garcia out there until Pettitte is ready to pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    What's terrible is with last Sunday's rainout and Thursday's off day Garcia could have been skipped this time around with no harm to the rest of the rotation. CC could have pitched today and maybe the Yankees win the game. But Girardi being as stubborn as ever just refuses to see the obvious. He will just keep trotting Garcia out there until Pettitte is ready to pitch.
    We've got 2 black holes in the rotation and an extra day off wont hurt CC so I think it made sense to give him 1 more chance to see if he's really that bad ( he IS ) We'll have to scuffle to fill Hughes and Freddy's spots, but now it's on to plan B and C
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvM0IB5Sbs

MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGGRESSIVE

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    We've got 2 black holes in the rotation and an extra day off wont hurt CC so I think it made sense to give him 1 more chance to see if he's really that bad ( he IS ) We'll have to scuffle to fill Hughes and Freddy's spots, but now it's on to plan B and C
    Which is what Cashman needs to focus his attention on instead of crying about the Pineda/Montero trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Which is what Cashman needs to focus his attention on instead of crying about the Pineda/Montero trade.
    I don't think it's Cashman who's doing that.

Unless he posts here under an assumed name.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't think it's Cashman who's doing that.

Unless he posts here under an assumed name.
    After reading that Wally Matthews article it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi View Post
    Having a 5th starter like Hughes probably isnt going to kill us. Keep him in the rotation and move him to the pen for the playoffs. Hopefully Pettitte can replace Garcia. My concern is having someone replace Pineda during the postseason. We need someone to follow CC and shut down offenses. I'm not sure Nova is there yet and Kuroda isn't that type of pitcher.

Maybe Joba can come back and start.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Having a 5th starter like Hughes probably isnt going to kill us. Keep him in the rotation and move him to the pen for the playoffs. Hopefully Pettitte can replace Garcia. My concern is having someone replace Pineda during the postseason. We need someone to follow CC and shut down offenses. I'm not sure Nova is there yet and Kuroda isn't that type of pitcher.

Maybe Joba can come back and start.
    Unfortunately, having a fifth starter who consistently throws less than five ineffective (and, frequently, putrid) innings and not only gives the team little chance to win but also drains the bullpen (the team's greatest strength) WILL kill a team over the course of a season. As I have said previously, Hughes lacks the stuff, command, durability, stamina, and results to be a ML starting pitcher and he has no business being in the Yankee rotation, particularly with better options in the returning Pettitte and Phelps, who has outpitched Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    Unfortunately, having a fifth starter who consistently throws less than five ineffective (and, frequently, putrid) innings and not only gives the team little chance to win but also drains the bullpen (the team's greatest strength) WILL kill a team over the course of a season. As I have said previously, Hughes lacks the stuff, command, durability, stamina, and results to be a ML starting pitcher and he has no business being in the Yankee rotation, particularly with better options in the returning Pettitte and Phelps, who has outpitched Hughes.
    I dunno. Phil has a higher K/9, lower BB/9, and a similar xFIP. Phil's BABIP is bloated while Phelps's is probably too low.

I'm no Hughes apologetic, but I just don't think he's THIS bad. I don't care if he gets replaced by Phelps, but I don't see any point in going out and expending resources for a 5th starter.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    If they skipped him then he pitches Wednesday -- right after Hughes. That would destroy our bullpen. And all those jumping over Joe for "giving him another start" jumped the gun. He isn't.
    Life is good!

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    If they skipped him then he pitches Wednesday -- right after Hughes. That would destroy our bullpen. And all those jumping over Joe for "giving him another start" jumped the gun. He isn't.
    The way people read into Girardi's postgame comments mystifies me. He's savvy enough to not trash a player publically, and to gather his staff and communicate with a player before making a decision. I mean, I don't agree with everything he does, but I also get why he is so upbeat and bland with reporters.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    The way people read into Girardi's postgame comments mystifies me. He's savvy enough to not trash a player publically, and to gather his staff and communicate with a player before making a decision. I mean, I don't agree with everything he does, but I also get why he is so upbeat and bland with reporters.
    My exact sentiments. I prefer Girardi's way over the public circus and ensuing resentment a manager like Valentine brings to the clubhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    This is Giradi's 5th year as manager. I don't recall an instance in which a current or former player thrased him. If it did happen it was an isolated incident and certainly not the norm. You are 100% correct, Giradi is smart enough to know that if he publicly throws a player under the bus he will risk losing the clubhouse. Thats why you have to take his post game comments with a grain of salt. Torre, Francona, and many other sucessfull managers operated in a similar fashion.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    My exact sentiments. I prefer Girardi's way over the public circus and ensuing resentment a manager like Valentine brings to the clubhouse.
    Amen to that. I do not understand why anyone would want those antics any where near their team.

NYYF Legend

Russell Martin is DHing tonight with Stewart catching Hughes.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/05/0...-lefty-matusz/
    Derek Jeter SS
    Curtis Granderson CF
    Alex Rodriguez 3B
    Robinson Cano 2B
    Mark Teixeira 1B
    Andruw Jones RF
    Russell Martin DH
    Eduardo Nunez LF
    Chris Stewart C

RHP Phil Hughes
    Matusz is lefty so I kind of see what Girardi's doing but I'd still rather ride the hot hand with Chavez even with the lefty/lefty matchup.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

If Markakis going yard and 100+ pitches wasn't an indication that Nova should have been pulled, he proceeds to plunk the next guy.

And yet, he was good enough to go after a hitter that pwns him.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

NYYF Legend

So Joe & Co. insist on not calling up an extra position player and instead load the roster with extra arms, yet instead of actually using some of those arms with your young pitcher tiring in the 7th and over the 100 pitch mark, he lets Nova sit out there and get smacked around for a couple runs before pulling the trigger. I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    So Joe & Co. insist on not calling up an extra position player and instead load the roster with extra arms, yet instead of actually using some of those arms with your young pitcher tiring in the 7th and over the 100 pitch mark, he lets Nova sit out there and get smacked around for a couple runs before pulling the trigger. I just don't get it.
    A thought I agree with. Girardi confuses me at times.

I did not get bringing Nova out in the 7th either. Taking him out seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Enough with carrying 13 pitchers. DL Swisher already if you arent going to play him. Is there any position player in AAA that can help?

Thread Information