+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 112 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 109 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 2785
  1. #201

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    I'm calling him it. Because he's a gritty player and he's a boss.

  2. #202
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hartford, CT

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'm not liking this at all. It's like Girardi was praised last year for keeping guys rested and he's decided to make that the theme of this season. "Yankees Baseball 2012-- Come See How Alert Everyone Looks™"

    Most of Gardner's value is in the field-- let him be out there.
    Well done

  3. #203
    NYYF MVP

    NoodleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I didn't pick one out. I replied to another poster.

    Walking Sean Rodriguez to get to Pena and then going with that pitch sequence was certainly questionable. You don't see me saying otherwise.

    I don't strongly disagree with your POV necessarily, but I definitely think your supporting evidence is off. Best hitters hit, whether they're facing the Yankees or anyone else. I'm sure you could find terrible splits against for those same guys for terrible teams. Doesn't mean the opposing managers are geniuses either.
    To answer this reply is I only feel the sting of what these players do to us, only to name a few. Because I try to have a short memory, I would never challenge you when it comes down to numbers, but the other guy earlier really had no argument. That started me naming players that have been hurting us in what seems like their every at bat.

    Knowing you through your writing, I thought you might see my point with some of what I write. Understanding that I mostly write what I feel, and I look up facts only when I have to. We all only want what's best for the Yankees, but some of these fans find no problem with losing those last three games. We were embarrassed, and Joe looked bad... I'm not saying that Joe is the worst, but he's not my idea of a great manager.

    Joe needs to start taking some blame, he's the general and what he does matters more then some fans think.

  4. #204
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    To answer this reply is I only feel the sting of what these players do to us, only to name a few. Because I try to have a short memory, I would never challenge you when it comes down to numbers, but the other guy earlier really had no argument. That started me naming players that have been hurting us in what seems like their every at bat.

    Knowing you through your writing, I thought you might see my point with some of what I write. Understanding that I mostly write what I feel, and I look up facts only when I have to. We all only want what's best for the Yankees, but some of these fans find no problem with losing those last three games. We were embarrassed, and Joe looked bad... I'm not saying that Joe is the worst, but he's not my idea of a great manager.

    Joe needs to start taking some blame, he's the general and what he does matters more then some fans think.
    I get what you're saying, but that's the risk of posting perceptions. They may not be reality, or as you say may be fueled by short-term memory. It's kind of hard to prove a point that isn't necessarily supported by the evidence you put up to front it.

    Again I think it's reasonable to point out that guys may look a bit more comfortable then ideal when they are hot or have a history of punishing us. I do think this organization tries to "take the high road" in that regard, and I'd rather see them willing to win at nearly any cost and pitching inside is certainly part of the game. But to just state that "best hitters always hit us" isn't really the most effective or efficient way to make your case is all.

    Lastly I'd recommend looking up facts if you have a strong opinion on something, especially if someone is rebutting you and you're trying to stand your ground on an opinion. In the age of the internet, it's pretty simple. It's not like you have to pull out that old shoebox of baseball cards to look up data these days. Either that, or don't get into debates if you're not willing to form a fact-based position on something. Just ignore the responses to your opinion.

  5. #205
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I'm calling him it. Because he's a gritty player and he's a boss.
    Was just curious. Not trying to critique it, but "grit" is a bit RSN-ish for me for some reason.

    As long as you don't start calling him Dirtdog CowboyUp Grittner, I guess I'll survive it.

  6. #206

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    I'm just in a bit of disbelief, is he that abysmal against lefties?

  7. #207

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I'm just in a bit of disbelief, is he that abysmal against lefties?
    vs RH .271/ .354/ .383

    vs LH .243/ .351/ .318

    I'd still rather have Jones DH and let A-Rod play for another game to keep Gardner in there.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  8. #208
    NYYF MVP

    NoodleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    You lost me on "our guys are hard to manage".

    I would think the opposite.
    To answer you mr Nerf, I believe that trying to manage older highly paid stars is much more difficult. Example- sacrificing runners over, having players take pitches, hitting the other way, diving for balls to knock down, take one for the team, bunt, having players back up their team mates on the field, to name a few I wasn't ready for you to call me on it, to be honest.

  9. #209

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    To answer you mr Nerf, I believe that trying to manage older highly paid stars is much more difficult. Example- sacrificing runners over, having players take pitches, hitting the other way, diving for balls to knock down, take one for the team, bunt, having players back up their team mates on the field, to name a few I wasn't ready for you to call me on it, to be honest.
    I usually just ignore your posts but, I wanted to say that most of the guys on the team are probably looking more to win than to pad their stats.


    edit: @Coffee

    That's not even bad!

  10. #210

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    edit: @Coffee

    That's not even bad!
    It's worth having him in there just for his defense.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

  11. #211
    NYYF Legend

    SLURPEE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Interesting that he loves Nunez so much.

    I player who can't field his position. With a decent bat.

    Yet, he had a problem playing Montero. But the Montero has the better bat.

  12. #212

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Definitely. Ugh. God bless him, though. He goes out and plays and doesn't complain.

  13. #213
    NYYF MVP

    NoodleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    OK guys & gals, so we live to post another day, it's been real.. Lets all hope that we can rebound tonight, and whip a little butt. Check you's later, maybe with something positive to say.

  14. #214

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Which of Maddon's decisions are you referring to? Absolutely SSS issues when comparing managers in a 3 game series, we really can't draw any conclusions whatsoever from it in terms of "ability", but I think it would be very hard to say that Maddon didn't appear omniscient with his lineups and especially his defensive alignments.

    I'll name two Maddon decisions in one AB that could have conceivably cost the Rays game 1. Bottom of the 8th, Tampa down 6-5, runnners on the corners and Molina at the plate. First he has the runners going with Molina swinging away (so it wasn't a suicide squeeze). Luckily for Tampa, Molina just barely gets a piece of it and fouls if off, otherwise the runner on 3rd is a dead duck. Why in the world would he have the runners going? That was brain fart #1. Then, to make matters worse, he has Molina, who isn't exactly an artist with the bat, bunt with two strikes. Molina bunts it foul. Two down. Maddon brain fart # 2, all in one AB.

    Now, if it wasn't for Mo blowing the save, the spotlight is on Maddon for his questionable decisions that would have lead to his team's loss. We may have discussed Girardi's head-scratcher (and that intentional walk sure was one), but a Yankee win would have turned the table to a large extent. Bottom line is that bad decision(s) by either manager would have been blamed for the loss.

    As for the Rays defensive positioning and shifts, wouldn't you say that's more a product of Tampa's scouting department? If they continually outshine the Yanks in that department, maybe the Yanks should take a better look at their scouting personnel. That's hardly Girardi's fault nor does it indicate any special expertise on Maddon's part.

    Actually, I'm surprised that more teams don't utilize that shift against not only Teix, but Arod, Granderson and Swisher as well, as the Rays did. If they do, it won't bode well for this team and will be a very long season, unless adjustments are made and given the players mentioned (other than Granderson), that won't be an easy task.


  15. #215
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    It's worth having him in there just for his defense.
    Agreed, especially since his OBP is pretty flat regardless of split. Getting on base and creating pressure on the defense with his speed is pretty near 100% of his value offensively, and he's done that equally from either side. I can't find his mL splits, but I think when he was in AAA he actually had better OBP against LHP if memory serves.

  16. #216

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Our starting leftfielder should play more.

  17. #217

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    I still think that they're using the shift more for the mind games than anything. Get into their heads.

  18. #218
    Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    I'll name two Maddon decisions in one AB that could have conceivably cost the Rays game 1. Bottom of the 8th, Tampa down 6-5, runnners on the corners and Molina at the plate. First he has the runners going with Molina swinging away (so it wasn't a suicide squeeze). Luckily for Tampa, Molina just barely gets a piece of it and fouls if off, otherwise the runner on 3rd is a dead duck. Why in the world would he have the runners going? That was brain fart #1. Then, to make matters worse, he has Molina, who isn't exactly an artist with the bat, bunt with two strikes. Molina bunts it foul. Two down. Maddon brain fart # 2, all in one AB.

    Now, if it wasn't for Mo blowing the save, the spotlight is on Maddon for his questionable decisions that would have lead to his team's loss. We may have discussed Girardi's head-scratcher (and that intentional walk sure was one), but a Yankee win would have turned the table to a large extent. Bottom line is that bad decision(s) by either manager would have been blamed for the loss.

    As for the Rays defensive positioning and shifts, wouldn't you say that's more a product of Tampa's scouting department? If they continually outshine the Yanks in that department, maybe the Yanks better take a better look at their scouting personnel. That's hardly Girardi's fault nor does it indicate any special expertise on Maddon's part.

    Actually, I'm surprised that more teams don't utilize that shift against not only Teix, but Arod and Swisher as well, as the Rays did. If they do, it won't bode well for this team and will be a very long season, unless adjustments are made and given the players mentioned, that won't be an easy task.
    Can't argue that away really, but I will say that Molina up against Robertson the odds are pretty high for a K or even worse a GIDP. It's not an unrealistic gamble given Molina's career .240 BA, .286 OBP, 25% K rate and 50 GIDP (in about 3+ seasons worth of AB's). In part because of his offensive woes, he's actually had to develop bunting skills. Worst case you take the bat out of Joyce's hands, and he had struck out in his prior 3 at bats (and proceeded to strike out in the 4th at bat anyway).

    To me, that's a decent calculated risk. Compare that to walking Sean Rodriguez to load the bases in the first inning of the first game with CC pitching and Pena on deck, or to letting Clay Rapada (and his Ruthian OPS-against when facing RHH of any type, let alone elite ones)... those aren't really calculated IMHO.

  19. #219

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    To answer you mr Nerf, I believe that trying to manage older highly paid stars is much more difficult. Example- sacrificing runners over, having players take pitches, hitting the other way, diving for balls to knock down, take one for the team, bunt, having players back up their team mates on the field, to name a few I wasn't ready for you to call me on it, to be honest.
    No worries.

    I was just thinking that the Yankees, while highly paid, are mostly good character guys as well, and would be easy to manage. I think most of them encompass most of what you listed above.
    Team Northern Lights

  20. #220

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    It's worth having him in there just for his defense.
    x2.

    Too much emphasis on the R/L stuff. Garnder needs to face lefties so that he will be able to hit lefties.....or something like that.
    Team Northern Lights

  21. #221

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Joseph has not had a good weekend, to start off, by any means. It can only get better.
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

  22. #222

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    x2.

    Too much emphasis on the R/L stuff. Garnder needs to face lefties so that he will be able to hit lefties.....or something like that.
    in his career he nearly has an identical OBP against lefties (.351) and righties (.354).

    He just should be playing more period. He's 28 and this is his 2nd game off in 4 games.

  23. #223
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    20 minutes from the stadium

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    One has to wonder, had Girardi not played musical chairs with the line-up, would the Yank's still be 0-3? And platooning Gardner before the man's had a chance to acclimate to the new season is a zero confidence vote. IMHO, Girardi has lost his mind.

  24. #224
    NYYF MVP

    NoodleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    I usually just ignore your posts but, I wanted to say that most of the guys on the team are probably looking more to win than to pad their stats.


    edit: @Coffee

    That's not even bad!
    I agree that they'd rather win, but you could have left the other part out. There was clearly no need to sting me, maybe that hurt because I didn't expect that from you, I respect your post and find your writing interesting. I speak from my heart an I try to save my personal feelings in here for the players. Well thanks for at least being honest anyway.

    Shows you just how much I pay attention, I thought you were someone else until I looked at the name, what a relief. I really don't care what you have to say about me or the Yankees!

  25. #225

    Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

    “He helped me a thousand percent, seriously,” Nunez said. “So confident. My throw is so quiet, a quality throw. … I have to prove, show (Girardi) I can play defense too. I don’t want him to take me out in the bottom of the eighth, bottom of the seventh, (saying) ‘Hey Nuney, you can’t play defense.’”
    -Lohud

    Even the players make fun of him and his stupid nicknames.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts