Alex Rodriguez 3B
    Mark Teixeira 1B
    Nick Swisher DH
    Raul Ibanez RF
    Brett Gardner LF
    Chris Stewart C

RHP Phil Hughes

I guess Swisher needs to rest as well.
    I am surprised that Arod is in the field because all the talk yesterday was that he was the DH or getting the day off. Swisher is probably getting the DH spot because of his groin issues during the spring.

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

I don't care what the lineup is, just get the damn win Joe Girardi and the Yankees.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

If nothing is wrong with Swisher (like his groin again), it's going to be really interesting to hear the reason for Ibanez in the field today.

NYYF MVP

Wow! Here we go already, but we all know that judging Girardi is a necessary evil, it's kind of our duty as fans.. Lets face it if we were totally honest about his performance as the Yankee manager, some of you would say that your only as good as your tools.

I say that you could have the best tools that money could buy, but if you don't know how to use them, do you see my point?? My personal opinion is that I like Joe, he's really likable but even so is that a good enough reason to be the Yankee manager?

When we compare Joe to other managers, he seems to come up short. Almost everything that he tries seems to backfire. After playing the Rays, we see that we were out managed in every facet of the game, although Madden's players are like his own personal puppets and he the puppet master, who's able to manage lesser teams to wins in any fashion that he desires.

I'm not saying that I'd rather have Madden as a Yankee manager, because he's the type that needs young players that he can have total control over. Controlling their every move, including at bats and fielding, also probably controlling every pitch that's thrown.

I don't believe that the NYYankees could have such a dictatorship, having much older and more established players, my choice would have been Larry Bowa, or Lou Piniella.. Hindsight is always 20/20, even though I wanted Torre to go I believe that now more then ever that Girardi was a poor choice, and he's looking worse with each passing season...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I like Girardi, I just don't agree with all his decisions.
    My sentiments exactly.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

While I sometimes find myself scratching my head over some of Girardi's in-game decisions, I definitely scream at the television set a lot less than I did at Joe Torre's in-game management, especially during the last four years of his tenure after Zim left.

Overall, I'm OK with Girardi.

it seems like his biggest critics are the vary ones that supported his appointment as manager.

Why is that?
    I'll only speak for myself. I am someone who supported this hire, and right now I am pretty unhappy with him.

The reason for that is because I believed that Girardi was a solid, logical baseball decision maker. I wanted someone who was a cold, calculating manager. The opposite of Joe Torre, who I felt relied on "feelings" and "loyalty" a little too much. I wanted someone grounded in science, math, statistics... I wanted someone who avoided the big, obvious, laughable mistakes and put his team in the best position to win as often as possible

To some degree that is what we got. That is what Joe Girardi is. He makes information based decisions - not 'feelings' based decisions.

He just isn't as good at it as I thought he would be.

He seems to consider the information - that is a good first step - but he doesn't seem to be capable of using it to avoid the big, obvious mistakes as often as I'd like.

I think of it kind of a like a meteorologist (ya know, a weatherman). A good weather forecast is grounded in atmospheric science and uses the current data available - you don't just lick your finger and put it in the air and then go on a gut feeling. However, using the science and data to make forecasts that have the highest probability of being correct is what separates a good forecaster from a bad one.

Joe Girardi, while better than the guy who licks his finger, is not as good a weatherman as I thought he'd be.
    Jose Molina saved my marriage: http://www.townsandtrails.com/road-trip-to-the-last-yankees-stadium-game

NYYF MVP

OK Byron I agree with a lot of what you said, Joe does stick with his record book and goes by the numbers to a fault. That's where he and Madden differ, Madden will also go with what he feels and see's.

How many times have we been screaming at the set for Joe to make a change do to the obvious, then afterwards him stating that the numbers dictated his move or lack of not pulling a certain player, either way Joe has gone by the book too much, and overlooked the obvious.

I do like Joe like I'm sure so many of us do, but that don't win ball games. Managers do matter if they make the right moves, but can also lose by calling it wrong.
    Last edited by NoodleRay; 04-08-12 at 02:29 PM.

I really love what Madden has been doing with his defensive alignments.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    ok why is ibanez playing the field

Heheh.

there has to be some other alternative to Ibanez playing the OF.

at least for the third game of the year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    ok why is ibanez playing the field
    Already paying dividends. For Tampa. I can only surmise that Swisher's groin isn't 100%. Otherwise Girardi deserves to be grilled for this decision.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

don't hit it to him don't hit it to him
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by unfamous loser View Post
    there has to be some other alternative to Ibanez playing the OF.

at least for the third game of the year.

"it's a turf field. With Swishy coming off a groin injury, I wanted to give him a half day off"

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    "it's a turf field. With Swishy coming off a groin injury, I wanted to give him a half day off"
    then play Nuney (gag) or Jones in the OF, Joey G.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

19 innings of ownage by Maddon over Girardi. Everything Maddon has done with his lineups and alignments has seemed to work, and seems like all of Girardi's decisions have backfired.

Damon would have made that catch.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    19 innings of ownage by Maddon over Girardi. Everything Maddon has done with his lineups and alignments has seemed to work, and seems like all of Girardi's decisions have backfired.
    It goes back much further than 19 innings. It seems this way every time we play the Rays. IMO we've had a much more talented team, but they figure out a way to narrow the gap with their in-game strategies.

always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleRay View Post
    Joe does sticks with his record book and goes by the numbers to a fault. That's where he and Madden differ, Madden will also go with what he feels and see's.

How many times have we been screaming at the set for Joe to make a change do to the obvious, then afterwards him stating that the numbers dictated his move or lack of not pulling a certain player, either way Joe has gone by the book too much
    I would argue that Girardi's flaw in these situations is not the use of the book... it is instead the fact he is not good at using the book. Often - not all the time, but often - when he cites data in post game interviews to defend questionable moves, it doesn't make a lot of sense. He has the right data, he is just using it in odd, counter productive ways. I'm not sure what it is, but it is almost like he has statistical tunnel vision and is unable to find the nuances in the data that are sometimes required to make smart decisions. He'll focus in on one stat column... and not take into consideration the bigger informational picture, or the current situation in the game.

Making a move based on batting average in a situation where you want to avoid a home run, for example.

Why Madden is better, in my opinion, is not because he does things based on how he feels, but because he is better at using the data correctly.

These amazing shifts they are using right now is an example. Those are purely information based, not due to any gut feelings he has about where Yankee hitters might hit the ball. He KNOWS where Yankee hitters might hit the ball. It is beautiful to see them used successfully. I'm jealous.
    Jose Molina saved my marriage: http://www.townsandtrails.com/road-trip-to-the-last-yankees-stadium-game

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I think that the shift is now effecting my head because it seems like the Rays have 13 players in the field and the Yankees simply cannot hit a ball, unless its a HR, without the Rays making a play on it.

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I think that the shift is now effecting my head because it seems like the Rays have 13 players in the field and the Yankees simply cannot hit a ball, unless its a HR, without the Rays making a play on it.
    Yep. Can't remember a 2 game set where I was jumping out of my seat expecting a hit up the middle or something getting past the second baseman, only to see the camera shift to an infielder simply crouch, gobble and throw to first. Really impressive actually in a frustrating kind of way.

hit f/x powered SHIFTS, the next revolution
    Last edited by awy; 04-08-12 at 03:25 PM.
    always reasonable

Thread Information