+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 112 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 89 ... LastLast
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    He has to rest his older players. You don't like Nix then Cashman needs to get him a better alternative. I'm still shaking my head about the Phelps removal. Cashman needs to get him better reliever options as these one dimensional relievers will cost us come playoff time especially with Girardi's fixation on pitching/hitting matchups.
    That isn't my argument. It's understandable that Nix has to be in games, but after he hit that HR in Boston, Joe has been trying to get him into the lineup as much as possible, 8 out of the last 12, hell maybe Nix needs some rest. Use him for resting Jeter/Cano and that's it. IMO, he should have seen 1 maybe 2 games this series if you think Cano really needs rest.

I definitely agree with the second sentence more than anything and don't necessarily blame Girardi that much. You don't give a "hard worker" platoon UT hitter to Joe and don't expect him to pull out his binder and find a way to get that player in the lineup.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

I ain't worry about the Orioles, not enough pitching.
    ^this * 1000. They might luck into 3rd, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    There are two possible explanations for putting in Jeter after Nix's at-bat rather than before, neither of them good, imo. First, he did not think about using Jeter until after the at bat, when he thought about Nix, who is a marginal SS at best, blowing the double play earlier.

Second, he didn't want to make an offensive substitution with the lead. It is against the culture of the game and would send a bad message to Nix.
    That he is a career backup and there is a eventual top 10 hits leader, hall of famer who hits over 300 on the bench coming in anyways?

The "lead" was 1, a bad offense can accidentally score a run anytime in this league.......yeah kinda like Oakland did.

My History. Your Tradition. JDPNYY's Avatar

Where does Joe bat the Suz.
    I'm frantic... Jeter Ceremony Date - when will this be announced????

Thank goodness we now know.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I think his brain's is going to explode if Jeter doesn't leadoff. Im guessing 2 or 9.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    That he is a career backup and there is a eventual top 10 hits leader, hall of famer who hits over 300 on the bench coming in anyways?

The "lead" was 1, a bad offense can accidentally score a run anytime in this league.......yeah kinda like Oakland did.
    I didn't say I agreed with the decision. I was trying to explain it, consistent with the premise that Joe is a rational human being, not justify it.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    2 vs righties; 9 vs lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    I think his brain's is going to explode if Jeter doesn't leadoff. Im guessing 2 or 9.
    Until that OBP gets north of .300 he should be at the bottom of the lineup. I like the trade, but dude shouldn't get the reverence here that he earned in Seattle.

In fact, the concern I do have is that Joe will pencil him in every day because he is Ichiro Suzuki. He may be nothing more than a decent platoon option with Jones at this point.

Joe - make him earn what he gets with this team, please.

NYYF Legend

What will it take to let Phelps start a game instead of Garcia?

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Garcia is pitching pretty well tonight. Other than a couple of balls he left up, he's been pretty damn solid.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Garcia is pitching pretty well tonight. Other than a couple of balls he left up, he's been pretty damn solid.
    He is facing the weakest hitting team in the AL and has given up 3 runs in 4 innings.

Phelps was sent down so he could build up his arm strength and now he is back sitting in the bullpen. With a 7 game lead why not see what he can do as a starter. Does Garcia really have any future here beyond this season.

He is facing the weakest hitting team in the AL and has given up 3 runs in 4 innings.

Phelps was sent down so he could build up his arm strength and now he is back sitting in the bullpen. With a 7 game lead why not see what he can do as a starter. Does Garcia really have any future here beyond this season.
    I don't disagree about Phelps over Garcia. Just that Garcia has pitched a pretty good game so far. He's not the problem tonight.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I don't disagree about Phelps over Garcia. Just that Garcia has pitched a pretty good game so far. He's not the problem tonight.
    Especially since Garcia has retired something like 14 in a row. The theme for this entire West Coast trip has been the lack of Yankee offense and virtually every starter has deserved a better fate than the L or ND.

The binder strikes again.

Jones vs RHP:

Apparently that didn't matter as Ibanez and his .182/.206/.273 line against LHP was the better alternative.

Why is Ibanez batting against a lefty when Jones is available? Yes they would have matched up with League....but Jones vs League >>> Ibanez vs any lefty. Did Joe forget to consult his binder on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    Why is Ibanez batting against a lefty when Jones is available? Yes they would have matched up with League....but Jones vs League >>> Ibanez vs any lefty. Did Joe forget to consult his binder on this one?
    Additionally you force the opponent to burn one more bullpen arm in game 2 of a 3 game set. I can't believe Girardi graduated from NW with an engineering degree.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

NYYF Legend

I guess Joe was hoping to catch "lightning in a bottle" with that Ibanez AB.....which is a terrible philosphy to manage by.

the west coast seems to be bringing the worst out of him.

More good stuff from Girardi in the bottom of the inning. Lets pull Garcia, who was only rolling retiring 15 in a row with a PC of 89...to go to the vortex of suck that is Rapada/Qualls/Logan. I mean of course you have to matchup lefty-lefty against the immortal future HOF'er Dustin Ackley.

NYYF Legend

honestly, there's enough blame to go around... i still heavily blame cashman for allowing the likes of eppley and rapada to stay on the team for as long as they did

good job the last few months, but honestly, the magic potion has started to wear off... we need real relievers, no more side-winding bull****
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Your fifth starter is matched against perhaps the best pitcher in the AL, chances are you're not winning that game especially in his home ballpark.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    honestly, there's enough blame to go around... i still heavily blame cashman for allowing the likes of eppley and rapada to stay on the team for as long as they did

good job the last few months, but honestly, the magic potion has started to wear off... we need real relievers, no more side-winding bull****
    True, but in Cashman's defense he has a large lead and probably doesn't want to overpay for a reliever which probably why Joba's been accelrated in his rehab as the prices for any good reliever is most likely pretty high.

True, but in Cashman's defense he has a large lead and probably doesn't want to overpay for a reliever which probably why Joba's been accelrated in his rehab as the prices for any good reliever is most likely pretty high.
    Epply and Rapada need to be upgraded pronto because as long as they're in the pen, Girardi's gonna use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Epply and Rapada need to be upgraded pronto because as long as they're in the pen, Girardi's gonna use them.
    Upgraded with whom?

Upgraded with whom?
    If Choate is available, for Rapada. Epply? Wonder if the Rox would part with Belisle.

Thread Information