+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 112 FirstFirst ... 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 72 ... LastLast
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrusader View Post
    This is how Girardi manged when he was with the Marlins and won NL Manager of the year.

The Yankee roster is a different ball game with more set roles in the lineup and bullpen, as well as the fact that it's the AL and not the NL.

The injuries to Robertson and Mo have made him have to mix and match in the bullpen and do a little more "managing."

An intelligent manager has to adapt to his reality and the talent on his 25 man roster, Joe Madden even said if he had a Yankee type roster he wouldn't do the type of stuff he does.
    Agree with you. It's hard to compare a guy like Maddon to Girardi on a day to day basis. It's nice to know Girardi has it in him, though
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Balls Joe. Big ones.

Now Im assuming Wade wasn't available, but Epply? In the 8th for more than 1 batter? Against a lefty?

It worked out. Sometimes having big ones makes it all the sweeter.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

I am beyond impressed with the way Joe has used all these relievers in big spots since the MO/Robertson disasters. Using these guys in close & tight games has to be do wonders for their confidence.

NYYF Cy Young

He seems to be at his best when he's forced not to be on automatic (binder) pilot!

Quote Originally Posted by ZIM 2002 View Post
    He seems to be at his best when he's forced not to be on automatic (binder) pilot!
    Even Girardi's critics have to acknowledged the guy knows how to manage a bullpen.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

NYYF Legend

Congrats to the skipper on his 500th managerial win. He said that Jeter gave him the ball when the game ended. Nice.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Nice move yanking a rolling Andy @ 95 pitches after 7 to bring in middle pen robotically for R/R matchups. Just atrocious.

Agreed, completely idiotic to take him out. At 95 pitches? Come on. He was pitching a great game.
    "No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in." - Bill Hicks

"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." - Leo Durocher

Addicted Member

I didn't like it either, not to mention putting Corey Wade in there. I mean seriously? Isn't D-Rob the 8th inning guy.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Dude View Post
    I didn't like it either, not to mention putting Corey Wade in there. I mean seriously? Isn't D-Rob the 8th inning guy.
    Well, judging from D-Rob's performance last night, I wouldn't be so confident putting him in that spot either, but the point still stands -- you have a better chance of winning with Pettitte pitching there than Wade.

In the post game Pettitte said he was pretty gassed at that point.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Fair enough. Is there a reason? It doesn't seem like it was particularly hot.

NYYF Triple Crown

But Girardi is an awful manager for taking him out!!!!! 95 pitches!!!!
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by conkermaniac View Post
    As Pettitte alluded to, he is 40 years old. At that age, you have days in which you have a lot of energy and than there are days in which your energy level is lower than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924 View Post
    But Girardi is an awful manager for taking him out!!!!! 95 pitches!!!!
    You would think posters would wait until the post game show to see what was the motivation behind such a move first before they start calling him an idiot.

NYYF Legend

any word on why robertson wasn't used? i'm asuming joe didn't want to thrust him back into a back-to-back game so soon after coming off the DL, but still, it would have been nice to see him today
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    any word on why robertson wasn't used? i'm asuming joe didn't want to thrust him back into a back-to-back game so soon after coming off the DL, but still, it would have been nice to see him today
    Girardi stated he didn't want to use him today, but would've because he was the last man standing in the bullpen. I expect they'll ease him in because they want to stay away from him reinjuring that oblique.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    You would think posters would wait until the post game show to see what was the motivation behind such a move first before they start calling him an idiot.
    Thank you!

I love how much people hate and complain but can't even comprehend how much deeper Girardi thinks about the game of baseball.
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

And thank you too!
    You know they are not real pies, right?

"I heard Jackie Bradley junior was already voted to the ASG....for the next three years." - NerfBall55 4/4/2013

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by conkermaniac View Post
    I was at the game. It was f*cking hot.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Can you estimate how much of the crowd were Yankee fans as it seem like there was many of them?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Can you estimate how much of the crowd were Yankee fans as it seem like there was many of them?
    Overall maybe 50%. In my section probably more like 75%.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoux101 View Post
    Thank you!

I love how much people hate and complain but can't even comprehend how much deeper Girardi thinks about the game of baseball.
    This is an example of the manager, at least in the short term, having information the fans don't have not of a superior ability to think about the game of baseball. I can fully comprehend an old pitcher being tired after throwing 95 pitches.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Andy did mention the heat as a factor.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/06/1...s-really-good/
    Although hes thrown more than 95 pitches in other starts this season, Pettitte seemed to agree with the decision to come out after seven innings. I was pretty gassed, he said. I dont know if it was from the heat, the day game, going up there (to bat) and having to do a little different routine. Maybe being 40, I dont know. I feel like I could have gone back out there, but Joe said lets go ahead and be done with that. I was going to go through the heart of the lineup again, and I felt like maybe the last couple hitters, my cutter got a little flat.

Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    This is an example of the manager, at least in the short term, having information the fans don't have not of a superior ability to think about the game of baseball. I can fully comprehend an old pitcher being tired after throwing 95 pitches.
    Just a guess mind you, but I think Girardi has a superior ability to think about the game of professional baseball than anybody in this thread or forum. That doesn't mean he's above making mistakes as we all do in our own areas of expertise.

Thread Information