+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 112 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 68 ... LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: 2012 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

He sounds like a fool during these press conferences.

NYYF Legend

I don't know why I'm watching Girardi's post-game press conference.
    I'm ready to throw my shoe at the television.

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez View Post
    He sounds like a fool during these press conferences.
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    "It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf." -Robert Wilson Lynd

What pearls of wisdom did Girardi shower upon us tonight?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    "we're swinging the bats good, I like the effort, Kuroda battled, just didn't get that big hit....."
    The typical 2012 Yankee recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    I would say yes. Whether it is fair or not, and you can argue both sides, I think if a Yankee manager misses the playoffs twice, then he is gone.
    I don't understand this line of thinking. I honestly cannot think of anything meaningful that the manager could be doing different. The record is a direct result of injuries and lack of performance by key players. They can certainly change managers if thats what they want, but while they're at it how about just a little scrutiny for the teflon GM? WHat happened to this great farm system he's been building since 2005? Where are the replacements now that their needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I don't understand this line of thinking. I honestly cannot think of anything meaningful that the manager could be doing different. The record is a direct result of injuries and lack of performance by key players. They can certainly change managers if thats what they want, but while they're at it how about just a little scrutiny for the teflon GM? WHat happened to this great farm system he's been building since 2005? Where are the replacements now that their needed?
    I would rather keep Girardi and let Cashman go.

For all the premature accolades Cashman has received, the future for this Yankee team could very well be the bleakest in the last 20+ somewhat years, possibly even dating back to the 80's. If the 2 remaining killer B's don't pan out, I don't think anyone can argue differently. The result is a seemingly overrated, underwhelming farm and far too many piss poor decisions, many of them costly.

I don't understand this line of thinking. I honestly cannot think of anything meaningful that the manager could be doing different. The record is a direct result of injuries and lack of performance by key players.
    You can't have it both ways. You tell me that we can judge Girardi by the team's success in making the playoffs over the past few years, but now you say we can't judge him by the team's failures. If the manager is given credit for the performance of key players, then he has to be blamed for non-performance.

The game threads and the Girardi threads over the past years are filled with analysis of his many inexplicable in-game moves, as well as many of your tortured attempts to defend those moves. If Cashman can be judged because an injury or some other unpredictable development makes a promising trade look bad, then Girardi can be judged when his odd moves back fire.

I don't know how he is handling the club house and how the players are responding to him. I don't know whether Girardi and his coaches can get production out of this very talented team, and I agree he certainly deserves a long chance to try. I think the wheel will turn, and barring further key injuries, the Yankees will make the playoffs as they should. But if they don't, ownership will have to make a move.

I think Joe accepts that this is a game that revolves around failure and people have a hard time computing that.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    the future for this Yankee team could very well be the bleakest in the last 20+ somewhat years, possibly even dating back to the 80's
    There is, understandably given the current streak, a lot of excessive hand wringing on this fan Board, but comparing the current state of the Yankees to the late 80s takes the cake for over reaction. There is no way this team is going to have a decade plus absence from the playoffs, if only because of the YES network. People need to chill a bit, read a book, or follow another sport if necessary. The wheel will turn, next year, even if not this year. And, if it doesn't, it still will be fun to be optimistic about the following year. Let's save words like "bleak" for the state of the planet or the poor.

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    There is, understandably given the current streak, a lot of excessive hand wringing on this fan Board, but comparing the current state of the Yankees to the late 80s takes the cake for over reaction. There is no way this team is going to have a decade plus absence from the playoffs, if only because of the YES network. People need to chill a bit, read a book, or follow another sport if necessary. The wheel will turn, next year, even if not this year. And, if it doesn't, it still will be fun to be optimistic about the following year. Let's save words like "bleak" for the state of the planet or the poor.
    Given the age of key players on this team and decline of other key players, of some costly, poor decisions, how bereft the farm system is of any impact position players, of the failure of this team to develop young arms (2 B's left), please tell us which Yankee team since the late 80's/early 90s had such a bleak (yes, bleak) future as this one, devoid of much promise within the organization. You seem to know that the future holds in store. Save the ole Yankee way of buying players - another crapshoot, what exactly do you see on the horizon that looks so promising? Oh, and the next time I use the word "bleak" I'll make sure to get your approval to make sure I'm using it appropriately. Edit: What's going on with the format here? Paragraphs aren't appearing.

NYYF Legend

Just watched Moneyball last night. Pretty boring movie but had its interesting parts. A good part was Billy Beane telling Art Howe lefty righty matchups are meaningless.

Girardi, listen to Billy Beane.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Just watched Moneyball last night. Pretty boring movie but had its interesting parts. A good part was Billy Beane telling Art Howe lefty righty matchups are meaningless.

Girardi, listen to Billy Beane.
    BORING? The movie was fantastic!

They have meaning in certain spots. Like Rapada. He gets lefties out no biggy, but he makes righties look like Ruth. Or was that Cabral? I can't remember.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    BORING? The movie was fantastic!
    Yeah, it was too slow. Way too many extended shots of Brad Pitt driving around totally pointless. I liked the whole behind the scenes GM stuff and the birth of applying SABR but I thought the overall execution was less than entertaining for a full feature movie

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Yeah, it was too slow. Way too many extended shots of Brad Pitt driving around totally pointless. I liked the whole behind the scenes GM stuff and the birth of applying SABR but I thought the overall execution was less than entertaining for a full feature movie
    I can see that, but I disagree. The walkoff scene was absolutely break taking.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Given the age of key players on this team and decline of other key players, of some costly, poor decisions, how bereft the farm system is of any impact position players, of the failure of this team to develop young arms (2 B's left), please tell us which Yankee team since the late 80's/early 90s had such a bleak (yes, bleak) future as this one, devoid of much promise within the organization. You seem to know that the future holds in store. Save the ole Yankee way of buying players - another crapshoot, what exactly do you see on the horizon that looks so promising? Oh, and the next time I use the word "bleak" I'll make sure to get your approval to make sure I'm using it appropriately. Edit: What's going on with the format here? Paragraphs aren't appearing.
    No; neither one of us can predict the future. I prefer to be optimistic and hopeful when it comes to something ultimately as inconsequential as sports, especially baseball, an unpredictable game that starts in the spring. If you prefer to be a pessimist, that is your right.

And, yes, my optimism about the Yankees has something to do with the relative size of their budget, along with the fact that the farm system has been ranked in the top half recently. There may not be anything there to help them this year, but if we are comparing the 80s, we are talking about a decade without being in the playoffs. I sure wish I could place a large wager with you about the future of the Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    The state of the Yankees doesn't eactly look rosy at this point.

They have a 32 year old 1st baseman whose OPS+ has dropped 4 consecutive years and is signed for 4 more at $22.5 per.

They have a 34 year old 3rd baseman whose OPS+ has dropped 5 consecutive year and is signed for 5 more years at an average of $22.8M with a potential $30M more in bouneses.

2 of their 5 SP are 37 year old or older and not signed past this year.

3 of the pitchers supposed to fill in in coming years - Pineda (shoulder done for year recovery unknown) Betances (can't find the plate in AAA) and Banuelos (elbow issues - uh, oh) don't look like they will be providing any immediate relief.

There is a lot of reason to believe this team should be better than 500 and should contend for a playoff spot this year even with the flaws they have but this doesn't look like a franchise with a terribly bright future then next few years unless some things start breaking right for them.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

They have a 32 year old 1st baseman whose OPS+ has dropped 4 consecutive years and is signed for 4 more at $22.5 per.

They have a 34 year old 3rd baseman whose OPS+ has dropped 5 consecutive year and is signed for 5 more years at an average of $22.8M with a potential $30M more in bouneses.

3 of the pitchers supposed to fill in in coming years - Pineda (shoulder done for year recovery unknown) Betances (can't find the plate in AAA) and Banuelos (elbow issues - uh, oh) don't look like they will be providing any immediate relief.

There is a lot of reason to believe this team should be better than 500 and should contend for a playoff spot this year even with the flaws they have but this doesn't look like a franchise with a terribly bright future then next few years unless some things start breaking right for them.
    That's fine if that's what you think, but I'm more of a optimist than you. The Yankee organization had a couple of rough months, but every team has some peaks and valleys. Right now, we're in a valley and only time will tell if that valley is the norm for an extended period of time.

I would rather keep Girardi and let Cashman go.
    Just for the record, I don't think anyone should be let go. IMO, its absolutely ridiculous to consider firing Giradi at this point. Jim Leyland and Mike Sciocia's teams are under .500 right now, should they be fired also? Each of these managers have won championships, so I would like to know when did they become stupid? The Yankees have hit a rough patch with injuries and key players underperforming, Giradi is doing the best he can with the hand he has been dealt. Those of you that are expecting him to rip his players in the post game press conferences are just grasping for straws. If Giradi did that it would be suicide as he would lose the clubhouse. Player development and procurement is a much larger area of concern than the field manager.

Just for the record, I don't think anyone should be let go. IMO, its absolutely ridiculous to consider firing Giradi at this point. Jim Leyland and Mike Sciocia's teams are under .500 right now, should they be fired also? Each of these managers have won championships, so I would like to know when did they become stupid? The Yankees have hit a rough patch with injuries and key players underperforming, Giradi is doing the best he can with the hand he has been dealt. Those of you that are expecting him to rip his players in the post game press conferences are just grasping for straws. If Giradi did that it would be suicide as he would lose the clubhouse. Player development and procurement is a much larger area of concern than the field manager.
    I have to say, normally your posts agitate me. This, however, was flawless AND true.

when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    "we're swinging the bats good, I like the effort, Kuroda battled, just didn't get that big hit....."

The typical 2012 Yankee recipe.
    i can't figure out if girardi is scripting bomber999's posts of if he's scripting girardi's press conferences.

NYYF Legend

"Wisey"!

Forum Regular

"wisey"

Wisey, Nixie and Stewie...nyuk, nyuk,nyuk

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post

Don't forget the de facto salary cap (i.e., the luxury tax) through the 2014 season. So it's not like they will be able solve their problems by throwing money around, either.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information