+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: WFAN: Yanks trade Kontos for Catcher Chris Stewart

This trade only makes sense if another team requested Cervelli in another trade. Otherwise this is a very poor choice. Cervelli has been the better offensive player in the majors and minors.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    well after reading more about the situation i've learned that the yankees must either keep kontos on the roster or release/trade him. it does make the situation more palatable
    Why did they have to keep Kontos on the roster?
    42 is the answer

Gets to see even more of AJ Burnett now!

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Huktonfonix View Post
    I am baffled by this comment as well.

Kontos was a Rule V draftee by the Padres in 2010, returned to the Yankees in March 2011. I am not exactly sure when he was added to the 40-man roster, but he certainly would not have been out of options that I can tell.

Still, I am not bothered by this trade - the team clearly has suffered a loss of depth at the catcher position with the Romine injury and being able to pick up Stewart, who had a 39% CS percentage last season for SF will help that depth.

I feel bad for Cervelli, but honestly Francisco is not a good defensive catcher. He can hit, but he is also one good collision away from retirement, IMO.

If something major happens to Martin, Cervelli comes up to catch every day until the Yankees can make a deal for an every day catcher - Cervelli is nothing but a career backup at best.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2012/04/0...-their-reason/

Brian Cashman
    That will give us a lot more depth given the Romine injury is going to take a little longer because he had a setback recently. We feel that Cervelli is a major-league backup, without a doubt. Now were back to where we were before the Romine injury, even though its not a good situation for Cervy to go back to Triple-A. Organizationally were in a good place with Russell Martin, Stewart and Cervelli.
    Joe Girardi
    Hes been here the last three years basically for us. He got called up and kind of burst on the scene in 2009 because of some injuries, and this was a tough one. Our depth for catching with Romine getting hurt was really thin. We know how quick it can happen for a catcher, but it was tough. Its as tough as Ive had to do.
    I don't necessarily like this, but the reasoning at least makes some sense to me. This is a big year for a lot of the pitchers at AAA and they're being particular about who they want catching them. I would have thought Gustavo Molina would be ok for the job, but they optioned him down to AA so I guess they really don't have any faith in him. I like Cervelli, but this seems like as much a vote of confidence as it is a demotion. If/when Romine is right Frankie will be back up in the majors.

Stewart seems like a guy who'll fit in while filling in and that's about it. What I don't like is who we traded. I agree with whoever said we might regret getting nothing but a short term spare part for Kontos. Stewart wasn't even going to make the club in SanFran and would have been released outright. BP arms are fairly disposable I guess, but Kontos seems like a guy who's ML ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Huktonfonix View Post
    i read that from somewhere
    always reasonable

I give this trade a big "who cares?". Other than the fact that I would have thought they could get more for Kontos, neither catcher is any good and the Yankees have a million mid-20's, low upside pitchers in the system.

Stewart has significantly higher CS% rates than Cervelli in both the majors (39 to 20) and minors (45 to 36)

NYYF Legend

If it's true that Stewart would have been released and available for nothing than this trade is a major fail by Cashman.

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post

Isn't that the time he was questioned about the celebration and he answered ...

"That's Cervelli"

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post

Has Cashman gone into any detail about this?

What is he thinking?
    I think he was hittin' that objective pipe again.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    they are clearly doing this to address a perceived need in the catcher position. i basically mean the fear of not having a third string catcher is rather large on the mind of this decision. this risk is not quantified. it is just present in the form of "we have to do this". that likely leads to bad decisions.

this is in comparison to an unwillingness to give cervelli a chance because of his stigma as a concussion sufferer.
    That's what I see in this trade, and I think the concussion issue shouldn't be factored too lightly. As was already noted, Cervelli could be a collision away from retirement.

With Romine sidelined for a prolonged stretch, they probably felt a 3rd string catcher, a good defensive one it seems, offered peace of mind and was good value for what few innings Kontos might have offered. Cervelli was likely sent down for no other reason than he has options...Stewart doesn't.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way. - Babe Ruth

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    If it's true that Stewart would have been released and available for nothing than this trade is a major fail by Cashman.
    released yes, but not necessarily available... remember that many teams would have been able to claim him ahead of the NYY. If they wanted/needed Stewart, the only choice was to trade for him, as he definitely was on the being moved block by SF.

My hypothesis is that Romine's back is not in good shape. We have not heard the last of this.
    Contrary to popular belief Eternity is not unending endlessness, it's repetitive.

there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar

I love Cisco it hurts. But here's some perspective

Maybin vs Stewert

"I wish the Yankees had a GM"

Quote Originally Posted by ARoDfan4life View Post
    I love Cisco it hurts. But here's some perspective

Maybin vs Stewert

He does have a cannon for an arm. If he can only hit a little.

NYYF Legend

Given the rest of the lineup I'd rather have a backup catcher that can throw people out at second over someone who's throws seem to end up in CF way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    He does have a cannon for an arm. If he can only hit a little.
    He can't. He's a Molina, that's all he's ever supposed to be.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Once Kevin Long gets done with him, maybe we'll find ourselves another Yogi.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Once Kevin Long gets done with him, maybe we'll find ourselves another Yogi.
    I think he's closer to Dale.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Frankly I don't really get this. But, if there's one thing we have it's pitching. So even though you shouldn't do a trade just to make a trade I am OKAY with this. I still think Romine should be the back up though. I really like Romine.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDamonfan View Post
    Frankly I don't really get this. But, if there's one thing we have it's pitching. So even though you shouldn't do a trade just to make a trade I am OKAY with this. I still think Romine should be the back up though. I really like Romine.
    Romine is hurt.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Romine is hurt.
    Oh, I didn't know that. I thought he had just been worse then predicted as of now.
    Still and will always be a New England Patriots fan.

[quote=THEBOSS84]You may be my favorite poster on the site. So sweet and innocent.[/quote]

This is about defense and depth. Stewart is marginally better defensively than C and Cerv's options allow him to be stashed in AAA. Not too relevant how a backup catcher hits. Might have thought they could find another catcher for nothing (depends how you view Kontos) but Stewart can throw runners out which a lot of backup types can not do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Romine is hurt.
    This is the answer to why. I think all other discussions are rendered invalid really.
    Please sign David Robertson and Chase Headley.

Richmond Virginians

Giants originally asked for David Phelps. What a joke. Kontos was too much to give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    This is the answer to why. I think all other discussions are rendered invalid really.
    I'm the answer to why. You're rendered invalid really.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Thread Information