+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: WFAN: Yanks trade Kontos for Catcher Chris Stewart

there is some serious chance of kontos making the yankees look bad. but relievers are kind of disposable in today's game and the yankees know that.
    always reasonable

I really just want to post this now. This is who we optioned to AAA.

I hope Cashman is really proud of himself.

NYYF Legend

Trying hard to see the logic of these moves. Not only do you send down a guy who is a good defensive catcher who knows our staff, but occasionally knocks in a run for you. Has Cashman gone into any detail about this? What is he thinking?
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Don't we have a Molina laying around somewhere?

I believe MLB rules state every team must have at least one Molina for situations such as this.
    If you don't already have one, you can just go pick one off the Molina tree. You shouldn't have to pay much of anything for a Molina.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

cashman's career is going downhill.. first trading montero now this..

cervelli knows our pitching staff... does this new guy? NO.

awful move...

why not just try to acquire another AAA catcher if you needed more depth instead of a guy with no options?

Quote Originally Posted by foreveryankees View Post
    cashman's career is going downhill.. first trading montero now this..

cervelli knows our pitching staff... does this new guy? NO.

awful move...

why not just try to acquire another AAA catcher if you needed more depth instead of a guy with no options?

I loathe the Montero trade but, really? Let's pump the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I loathe the Montero trade but, really? Let's pump the brakes.
    Brakes went out a long time ago.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    Brakes went out a long time ago.
    In fairness, once the car went over the cliff, there wasn't really a use for them
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    In fairness, once the car went over the cliff, there wasn't really a use for them
    unless they were air brakes
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Better use the emergency brake

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Cervelli won't.
    Yes he will.He'll be gone in a trade for someone we don't even know about yet.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio View Post
    Yes he will.He'll be gone in a trade for someone we don't even know about yet.
    You know, I really wish they wouldn't. It would depend who...but I really like Cervs

Better use the emergency brake
    always reasonable

I really just want to post this now. This is who we optioned to AAA.

I hope Cashman is really proud of himself.
    Pretty sure most if us saw it the first time you posted it, about one page ago. And if you think that's representative of the player we optioned to AAA, you're way off.

I'm so sorry to post the gif. And I know it's absurd, too. But I am upset about him being in AAA.

if they cared for cervelli's concussions at all then he should not be playing baseball period. not just ml baseball
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    there is some serious chance of kontos making the yankees look bad. but relievers are kind of disposable in today's game and the yankees know that.
    Yankees may know relievers are somewhat disposable, but judging by the recent deadline trades and closer salaries, other teams still overvalue them. So they probably could have gotten more for Kontos, though maybe there is something we're not seeing yet.

And I guess the Soriano deal implies that the Yankes can't properly value relievers either.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Yankees may know relievers are somewhat disposable, but judging by the recent deadline trades and closer salaries, other teams still overvalue them. So they probably could have gotten more for Kontos, though maybe there is something we're not seeing yet.

And I guess the Soriano deal implies that the Yankes can't properly value relievers either.
    well after reading more about the situation i've learned that the yankees must either keep kontos on the roster or release/trade him. it does make the situation more palatable
    always reasonable

I'm so sorry to post the gif. And I know it's absurd, too. But I am upset about him being in AAA.
    I like the guy too, bit we should be realistic about his abilities. Kontos should bring back more, especially selling high with him right now after his solid debut. Cervelli's optioning is minor emotional collateral damage.

A backup catcher should be someone who is defensively good enough to play everyday but doesnt becasue he cant hit. Cervelli cant throw or block pitches very well, and besides a few clutch hits here and there isnt much of a hitter either. Trying to upgrade that position is a good move by Cashman and Im sure there will be another George Kontos somewhere down the line. The only critique is probably that he mightve been able to get a better major league backup.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Emotional Warrior BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

This is a trade.
    It's not the 27 World Championships that drive the New York Yankees. It's the 28th.
    Every year is The Year. Go Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    well after reading more about the situation i've learned that the yankees must either keep kontos on the roster or release/trade him. it does make the situation more palatable
    I have no problem with trading him. I actually advocate trading relievers bc teams go nuts over them and tou can get back some high upside starters or whatever in return. I'm currently annoyed by ehat seems to be a middling return.

You know what i mean because you've said similar things. Kontos being less valuable to us doesnt mean we shouldnt be getting better value in a trade. If something is only worth a dollar to you, but worth five dollars to someone else, you should probably get 5 dollars for it, especually if thete are lots of interested parties, which I assume there would be.

Apologize for typos...phone posting

Quote Originally Posted by JfromJersey View Post
    Trying hard to see the logic of these moves. Not only do you send down a guy who is a good defensive catcher who knows our staff, but occasionally knocks in a run for you. Has Cashman gone into any detail about this? What is he thinking?

I never understood this myth of Cervelli as a good defender. His best sampling of games is 2010 when he played in 90 games, he had 13 errors and threw out only 14 percent of runners trying to steal.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    I have no problem with trading him. I actually advocate trading relievers bc teams go nuts over them and tou can get back some high upside starters or whatever in return. I'm currently annoyed by ehat seems to be a middling return.

You know what i mean because you've said similar things. Kontos being less valuable to us doesnt mean we shouldnt be getting better value in a trade. If something is only worth a dollar to you, but worth five dollars to someone else, you should probably get 5 dollars for it, especually if thete are lots of interested parties, which I assume there would be.
    yea i've called this trade pretty bad because they were reacting to a fear of having no "major league catching", whatever that means. but it is a small move and i'm not going to blow an artery over this considering that would be pretty bad to my brain.
    always reasonable

Your mom blew my artery last night.

No, you're right. Probably a minor transaction. Let's hope they don't take the same (seemingly) shoddy approach on bigger deals.

Thread Information