+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 413
  1. #226
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    He was sent to Trenton. Will pitch Monday.
    I know I sound like a broken record but why not SWB? Who's blocking him with Mitchell up and Betance demoted?

    When do we need a 5th starter again?

  2. #227

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I know I sound like a broken record but why not SWB? Who's blocking him with Mitchell up and Betance demoted?

    When do we need a 5th starter again?
    Scranton doesn't play Monday or Tuesday. They probably wanted to keep him on regular rest. I don't think the Yankees are too concerned with who he's pitching against, but more about getting his work in and keep stretching him out. They already know he can pitch against MLB hitters.

  3. #228

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    Scranton doesn't play Monday or Tuesday. They probably wanted to keep him on regular rest. I don't think the Yankees are too concerned with who he's pitching against, but more about getting his work in and keep stretching him out. They already know he can pitch against MLB hitters.
    It's amazing you have to explain that to anybody on this forum that the level of competition is meaningless for this one start as the Yankees already know he can get MLB hitters out.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

  4. #229

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    I really like what i've seen from this kid thus far.

  5. #230

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I know I sound like a broken record but why not SWB? Who's blocking him with Mitchell up and Betance demoted?

    When do we need a 5th starter again?
    Wasn't this explained to you adequately?
    Garcia is the fifth starter, at least until he tanks or some other development. You know the other 4, including CC who returns after the break.
    Phelps is the backup 6th starter right now. He will be kept stretched out below rather than kept on the ML roster for relief.

  6. #231
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Wasn't this explained to you adequately?
    Garcia is the fifth starter, at least until he tanks or some other development. You know the other 4, including CC who returns after the break.
    Phelps is the backup 6th starter right now. He will be kept stretched out below rather than kept on the ML roster for relief.
    I haven't responded to my original post. My real question is why they won't they send him to SWB? Sending him to Trenton seems like a 2 level demotion. If he is not going to be needed at the majors then I want him at the highest possible level.

  7. #232
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I haven't responded to my original post. My real question is why they won't they send him to SWB? Sending him to Trenton seems like a 2 level demotion. If he is not going to be needed at the majors then I want him at the highest possible level.
    because scranton aren't playing in scranton this year. they are effectively playing on the road all year. keeping hi in trenton at least keeps him closer to home half of the time. plus the differnt between AA and AAA in terms of talented is overrated.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  8. #233
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    because scranton aren't playing in scranton this year. they are effectively playing on the road all year. keeping hi in trenton at least keeps him closer to home half of the time. plus the differnt between AA and AAA in terms of talented is overrated.
    What home? Did the Yankees ever guarantee him a spot at the majors all season long? I doubt he's doing the Kei Igawa commute to Trenton. Wherever he is assigned is his home. He should be in Scranton, especially if he won't be needed if CC is ready after the break.

    There are much better hitters in AAA. Ask Bettance. AAA is filled with failed or former major leaguers who feast on AAA pitching. AA is mostly prospects who have never played in the majors.

  9. #234

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Ask Bettance..
    I have to be the one to do it.....Betances.

    The Phelps AA/AAA thing has nothing to do with level of competition. It's not a demotion. It has to do with where they can find him work. Similar to when Pettite restarted his career or when someone is on injury rehab. Where can they find him the most innings, hopefully minimize his travel and have someone available to monitor the progress.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  10. #235

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    What home? Did the Yankees ever guarantee him a spot at the majors all season long? I doubt he's doing the Kei Igawa commute to Trenton. Wherever he is assigned is his home. He should be in Scranton, especially if he won't be needed if CC is ready after the break.

    There are much better hitters in AAA. Ask Bettance. AAA is filled with failed or former major leaguers who feast on AAA pitching. AA is mostly prospects who have never played in the majors.
    1) Not his personal home, but home GAME...this year Scranton Yankees are playing on the "road" all season.
    2) They aren't sending him down for mechanics reason or to fix a struggling pitcher, but merely to STRETCH HIM OUT...in other words, the Yankees don't care if he's pitching to AAA or GCL.
    3) Phelps pitched on July 4th, and his rotation turn would've been on Monday. Scranton doesn't play a game from Monday to Wednesday (AAA allstar game), and would've had to wait until 8 days in between starts. Thunders has a game on Monday.

    In other words, had the Thunders not have a game on Monday then Phelps would've been in Tampa, or Charleston, or as low as he has to go to get into a game...it has NOTHING to do with the level of competition.

  11. #236
    NYYF Legend

    b-ball-lunachick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Dominant start by Phelps in AA:

    Five days after a strong start at Tropicana Field, David Phelps had no trouble at Waterfront Park.

    Returning to Double-A to stay stretched out as a starter, Phelps allowed one hit, one walk and struck out 11 through 6.2 innings this afternoon. It was his first Double-A start since the first half of 2010, and my friend Mike Ashmore texted me while I was on my way home from Boston to say it was one of the most dominant performances hed ever seen.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" ...Frank Costanza

  12. #237

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    He's pitching for Scranton on Saturday.

  13. #238

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    He's pitching for Scranton on Saturday.
    Excellent insurance policy at AAA

    Now we'll have him stretched out as a starter if need be, or we can still call him up later in the season to extend the bullpen.
    "Owning the Yankees is like owning the Mona Lisa." -- George M. Steinbrenner III

  14. #239

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    I'd much rather have Phelps than Garcia
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

  15. #240

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    We all would rather have Phelps, and so would Yankee management. But Phelps can be insurance, while Garcia cannot be sent down. It is as simple as that. It is the same reason Francisco was sent down after the Romine injury prompted the trade for Stewart. Its not rocket science. Garcia stays in the rotation until Andy comes back if he pitches well enough to give the team a decent chance to win.

    If this were the end of the season or the playoffs with a need for an emergency starter, Phelps would get the ball.

  16. #241
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Phelps, D (W, 1-0) 6.2 3 0 0 3 7 0 0.00

  17. #242
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    We all would rather have Phelps, and so would Yankee management. But Phelps can be insurance, while Garcia cannot be sent down. It is as simple as that. It is the same reason Francisco was sent down after the Romine injury prompted the trade for Stewart. Its not rocket science. Garcia stays in the rotation until Andy comes back if he pitches well enough to give the team a decent chance to win.

    If this were the end of the season or the playoffs with a need for an emergency starter, Phelps would get the ball.
    Or just dump him in the pen to take over Wade's role and have the better pitcher pitch in his place his AP comes back.

  18. #243
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Or just dump him in the pen to take over Wade's role and have the better pitcher pitch in his place his AP comes back.
    Do we have to "joba" every young starter on this team?

    Speaking of Joba, he's on his way back and will fill the Cory Wade role.

  19. #244

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    This guy needs to be in the rotation. Plain and simple.

  20. #245
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Do we have to "joba" every young starter on this team?

    Speaking of Joba, he's on his way back and will fill the Cory Wade role.
    The practice of "Jobaing" happened way before him. Not sure why he gets the infamy of something that happens to many young pitchers.

    As for Phelps, I would prefer he gets ML experience anyway he can over pitching in a league that doesn't seem to be challenging him anymore. And seeing as Joe has a quick hook with Garcia, it looks like he can get some consistant work up here.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  21. #246
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Do we have to "joba" every young starter on this team?

    Speaking of Joba, he's on his way back and will fill the Cory Wade role.

    ....I was talking about Garcia.

  22. #247

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    Or just dump him in the pen to take over Wade's role and have the better pitcher pitch in his place his AP comes back.
    I agree now. I can't understand having Phelps in the bullpen and Garcia starting at this point, given the sharp difference in current performance. I think that game last night would have been won with Phelps starting.

  23. #248
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I agree now. I can't understand having Phelps in the bullpen and Garcia starting at this point, given the sharp difference in current performance. I think that game last night would have been won with Phelps starting.
    Or even if Joe had brought Phelps in after Freddy gave up the first two runs when it was apparent that he had nothing last night.

  24. #249
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I agree now. I can't understand having Phelps in the bullpen and Garcia starting at this point, given the sharp difference in current performance. I think that game last night would have been won with Phelps starting.
    I really think the organization has been a bit short-sighted in this Garcia/Phelps evaluation for #5 starter. And I think if Phelps is the guy that would replace Garcia as #5 starter, it's kind of silly to keep bringing him in for two innings here or there, and then putting yourself back in a position where you have to stretch him back out before he can slide into the rotation.

  25. #250

    Re: 2012 David Phelps Performance Thread

    he should be starting, whether it be in AAA or as a Yankee

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts