+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: 2012 Robinson Cano performance thread

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman View Post
    Ok ... lets take this with a grain of salt but ...

a guy i currently work with is really connected within the Yankee Organization, lots of friends on the inside and he says word is that down the stretch of this season, Robbie was told by the organization to stop whatever it was that he was doing as far as PED's and what not.

I'm thinking this is probably stemming from the Melky fiasco, but who knows ?

i'd hate to think that Cano was a PED user, but these days you just never know.

Plus, how would the team catch wind of this and alert Cano without MLB knowing anything ?

Weird ... but these days u never know whos using. The kid is on the cusp of his payday, and im sure he'd like to get every last dollar he can. Putting together his best numbers across the board would certainly help.

Hearing that a player like Cano is using PED's isn't just something you stumble upon by opening the locker door at the right time. Anyone who is well connected enough to gain knowledge of this isn't telling you. He's either:
    very important in the Yankee world and not telling anyone;
    very important in the Yankee world and cashing in and leaking to the press;
    no one and full of sh!t.

Why would he tell only you? What's the reasoning behind that?

And why would he tell someone foolish enough to jeopardize his (your friend's) career by posting it on the web. If he's not telling the press, he obviously doesn't it want it leaking to the press and coming back to bite the Yankees and/or Cano. He wouldn't tell some random fan about it.

If this guy is as important as you make him out to be, and as important as you'd need to be to gain this information, you're a damned fool and a horrible friend for posting it on an internet message board.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

TPS, I have to be extremely clear I don't believe Cano is doing PEDs.

That said, when the false twitter rumor came out, Pete Gammons (did say there have been rumors of Cano's possible PED use for a while, he just could never get any confirmation.

And I think you got it backward. Information on a player like Cano doing PEDs is much more likely to leak than some random A prospect doing PEDs. More people are involved and the information is more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by grizy View Post

That said, when the false twitter rumor came out, Pete Gammons (did say there have been rumors of Cano's possible PED use for a while, he just could never get any confirmation.

And I think you got it backward. Information on a player like Cano doing PEDs is much more likely to leak than some random A prospect doing PEDs. More people are involved and the information is more valuable.
    I agree with you- my point is how it gets leaked out.
    If someone wanted to leak it, it would get leaked via media (probably for cash).
    If they didn't want it leaked and it somehow got leaked, it wouldn't be because a super high ranking person told his buddy who is a fan. It would be someone high up cashing in despite marching orders.

Devoted Member

I have no idea who and who is using or has used PEDs. Andy Pettitte is the All American boy, and he fessed up, if only to a small part. In fairness though the chemistry will always be ahead of testing. Would suspect a lot of guys have used we have no idea about. And they did so simply to keep up. Further, where is the line from medical treatment to "bad" PEDs? Jeter took cortisone shots in his ankle. Cortisone is in fact a steroid. Missed Lupica mining this for several hundred columns. Not saying "there's no difference", but we have a prescription drug abuse problem in this country that by many accounts dwarfs street drug abuse.

What I do know-NOBODY is giving any 30-year old player a 10-year contract. Not the Yankees, not the Dodgers, no one. Because without PEDs and amphetamines(the latter s staple in MLB clubhouses since at least the 1930s) players, despite better nutrition and training, are going to get worse as they age, as they did for almost a century before the steroids. And for not getting that big ass contract Cano can probably also thank his 3rd baseman.
    pitching, pitching and pitching

mark feinsand is a huge ................ing idiot for leaving cano off of his mvp ballot while having jeter 3rd. what the ................

this ................head probably did it just to draw attention to himself though.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    mark feinsand is a huge ................ing idiot for leaving cano off of his mvp ballot while having jeter 3rd. what the ................

this ................head probably did it just to draw attention to himself though.
    this.
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

I believe one of his tweets made reference to a certain lack of hustle on both offense and defense.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

good post
    like delv, but better

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    this.
    I wish they would just get rid of the award all together...though I know that will never happen. It's just a tedious and pointless thing every year imho. Before statistical analysis and the mountain of data we all have in front of us, the MVP served to raise awareness of a great season. Today, I don't see what the point is. Cabrera and Trout both had outstanding years...incredible seasons. What is the point of debating which one was more 'valuable', when the people voting can't even agree on what the term 'valuable' means?

Within the Yankees...Cano had by far a better statistical season than Jeter did. Though, if I had to go without either of them for a long stretch, I would let Cano go. Jeter was far more consistent whether thhis can be borne out by stats or not, I want him out there above any other position player. But Cano had a year more 'mvp' like.

So what is really the point of this award any longer? Anybody even in the conversation was obviously really important to their respective teams and nobody knows what would happen if one of them were lost for the year...

derp derp
    always reasonable

Forum Regular

derp derp
    how dare you

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post
    I wish they would just get rid of the award all together...though I know that will never happen. It's just a tedious and pointless thing every year imho. Before statistical analysis and the mountain of data we all have in front of us, the MVP served to raise awareness of a great season. Today, I don't see what the point is. Cabrera and Trout both had outstanding years...incredible seasons. What is the point of debating which one was more 'valuable', when the people voting can't even agree on what the term 'valuable' means?

Within the Yankees...Cano had by far a better statistical season than Jeter did. Though, if I had to go without either of them for a long stretch, I would let Cano go. Jeter was far more consistent whether thhis can be borne out by stats or not, I want him out there above any other position player. But Cano had a year more 'mvp' like.

So what is really the point of this award any longer? Anybody even in the conversation was obviously really important to their respective teams and nobody knows what would happen if one of them were lost for the year...
    You really think Jeter will be more valuable than Cano over the next 5+ years? He hasn't been more valuable than Cano over the past few years...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    You really think Jeter will be more valuable than Cano over the next 5+ years? He hasn't been more valuable than Cano over the past few years...
    Over the next 5 years?? No...I wouldn't even predict Jeter over Cano for 2013.

How does someone even have a better statistical year without being more consistent than the other guy?

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFan1421 View Post

NYYF Triple Crown

Cano has the most seasons in MLB history with 159, 160, or 161 games played but never 162 or more. He has two seasons with 159, two seasons with 160, and two seasons with 161 in the last six years.

ROFL sign jeter for 10 years 200m
    always reasonable

NYYF Legend

Meh. Probably is doing something.

I would say about 70-80% of athletes have or are doing PEDs. imo.

NYYF Legend

bold prediction for 2013: cano will end the season with more BB's than K's
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    bold prediction for 2013: cano will end the season with more BB's than K's
    That is a little bold.

57 BB/ 77 K is his best yet.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

NYYF Legend

that's why it's bold
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Bold prediction: Cano will have a great year.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

NYYF Legend

Joel Sherman on Cano's pending free agency -

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/hardba...#axzz2LH1bleUu

I haven't really been paying attention. How many years are being speculated that Cano is looking for?

Released Outright

Ten. I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at 10 years/quarter billion.

Thread Information