+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 ... LastLast
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Re: 2012 Robinson Cano performance thread

He is almost as entertaining to watch on the field as he is to bat. His play on the field tonite probably evened out his putrid performance at the plate.

No harm no foul. Granderson and DRob are the main reasons we lost today.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Really not expecting him to be with us after his option gets picked up. We simply won't be able to afford him if he demands a contract similar to Kemp's. This is what happens when you sign Alex to the deal they did.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Alex - I think you're wrong on this one.
    I don't think the Yankees let Cano walk....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Then something else will have to change because they will get themselves under the $189m "cap" after 2013. Soriano will be gone, so probably will Mariano & Swisher and while Jeter will be paid "only" $8m and Alex will see his amount reduced to $25m; the simple fact is that that they must cut $21m from their salary roll whilst absorbing increases for Robertson, Joba, Hughes. Maybe those guys don't come back and they decide to bring in a new bunch of younger pitchers to keep it down for one year.

I'll be honest here too, I want no part of a 8 year deal for a 29 year old second baseman. But then again I wante do part of Jorge's last contract, or Jeter's, or Alex's, or the AJ's or Tex's so what the hell do I know ...

(It's all specualation at this point)

Well - the best we can hope for is that Cano doesn't wanna walk either and they can come to a friendly 5 year deal with an option for a 6th and 7th...
    But "friendly" is wishful thinking, maybe.

I just have a hard time believing that one or two players' salaries is going to prevent the Yankees from giving Cano what he's worth, really. They'll look to save the money elsewhere.
    By then, Karoda will be gone too. They can save a buncha money if they have a cost controlled bull pen and back end of their rotation.

Who knows. I just don't think the $189 million is a hard number. If it means going to $195 to get Cano to stay, I think they'll do it.

You see, I don't think they will do it. The benefits of getting to the $189m limit are huge and they only have to do it for one season. After that, they can go back to being big spenders but for 2014 they really should make that cap. It might mean missing out on the playoffs or not going for it as much but the long term rewards will be worth it.

As for a "friendly" deal, Boras has just said he expects 10 years so I guess they'll be happy with seven or eight years. Five years is fine with an option but it won't happen unless Cano tells Boras to do a Weaver.

I see your point, I really do.
    If that is really what the Yankees think, they'll make a deal with Cano (or other players) to take less for the one year, 2014, and get more for the remaining years of their deal.

So let's say Cano's deal is gonna be 6 years, 20 million a year with an option for a 7th year @ 18 million. (it's hypothetical!)
    If the Yankees are up against the 189 mill, maybe the Yankees say, for 2014, we'll give you 15 million and tack the missing 5 million onto the contract for the remainder of the 6 years.

It could happen, ya never know.
    I'm quite certain the Yankees will find a creative to way to keep Cano and keep him happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    Jeter will be paid "only" $8m and Alex will see his amount reduced to $25m
    Their actual salaries that year don't matter, only the AAV of the contract. That will make it even harder.

I don't believe they'll make it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Triple Crown

How much should a chance to be one of the Yankees all-time best players and hit leaders (possibly top two with Jeter) mean to Cano? He turns 30 during the postseason and he's more than halfway to Gehrig's second most hits in Yankees history.

You see, I don't think they will do it. The benefits of getting to the $189m limit are huge and they only have to do it for one season. After that, they can go back to being big spenders but for 2014 they really should make that cap. It might mean missing out on the playoffs or not going for it as much but the long term rewards will be worth it.

As for a "friendly" deal, Boras has just said he expects 10 years so I guess they'll be happy with seven or eight years. Five years is fine with an option but it won't happen unless Cano tells Boras to do a Weaver.
    Is that accurate? The "carrot" is put in play in '14, but they could get under the cap in subsequent years too and reap the benefits, no? I didn't think it was '14 or bust so to speak.

I don't envision any scenario where Cano walks. Not many teams could afford him or have the appetite to, and I don't see the Yankees taking the guy who has the greatest chance of becoming the face of the franchise in a post-Jeter world and letting him walk.

They may make other painful decisions, like letting Granderson go even if they don't have a suitable replacement, but I'd be shocked if they didn't do everything within reason to retain Cano.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Their actual salaries that year don't matter, only the AAV of the contract. That will make it even harder.

I don't believe they'll make it.
    Of course, forgot that which address Effy's point be,one about the smaller amount during the first year not being an option.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I see your point, I really do.
    If that is really what the Yankees think, they'll make a deal with Cano (or other players) to take less for the one year, 2014, and get more for the remaining years of their deal.

So let's say Cano's deal is gonna be 6 years, 20 million a year with an option for a 7th year @ 18 million. (it's hypothetical!)
    If the Yankees are up against the 189 mill, maybe the Yankees say, for 2014, we'll give you 15 million and tack the missing 5 million onto the contract for the remainder of the 6 years.

It could happen, ya never know.
    I'm quite certain the Yankees will find a creative to way to keep Cano and keep him happy.
    look, I think it is 50-50 on whether they bring Cano back and it's less than 10% that they bring Granderson back who is also a FA at the same time.

****ing Hank and his A-Rod deal.

NYYF Legend

He picks a wrong time to get cold.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
    He picks a wrong time to get cold.
    He looks so frustrated right now at the plate and unfortunately, it looks like he is carrying that frustration out into the field with him as well.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    He looks so frustrated right now at the plate and unfortunately, it looks like he is carrying that frustration out into the field with him as well.
    A day off may be good for him to clear his mind. Sadly the lineup can't afford it now.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Is that accurate? The "carrot" is put in play in '14, but they could get under the cap in subsequent years too and reap the benefits, no? I didn't think it was '14 or bust so to speak.

I don't envision any scenario where Cano walks. Not many teams could afford him or have the appetite to, and I don't see the Yankees taking the guy who has the greatest chance of becoming the face of the franchise in a post-Jeter world and letting him walk.

They may make other painful decisions, like letting Granderson go even if they don't have a suitable replacement, but I'd be shocked if they didn't do everything within reason to retain Cano.
    I know they won't do that, but I would allow both Cano and Granderson to walk. It's a good time to retool not only the 25 man roster, but the organization as a whole.
    Okay Hal and Brian, I might be a sucker, but you got 3 more years to fix it!

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I know they won't do that, but I would allow both Cano and Granderson to walk. It's a good time to retool not only the 25 man roster, but the organization as a whole.
    Yeah, they can't do that. I assume you're thinking of giving someone like Joseph a shot at 2nd base, but itt would leave a couple of huge holes and a lack of players in their prime, which wouldn't work for a win now organization. I can see Granderson going if his contract demands are too high, but not Cano.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I have no problem doing that either but I'd have also done it a few years ago too. In fact I think it should have been about six years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Yeah, they can't do that. I assume you're thinking of giving someone like Joseph a shot at 2nd base, but itt would leave a couple of huge holes and a lack of players in their prime, which wouldn't work for a win now organization. I can see Granderson going if his contract demands are too high, but not Cano.
    I also think you are right. They aren't going to do it until they are forced too and that time will come eventually.

I have no problem doing that either but I'd have also done it a few years ago too. In fact I think it should have been about six years ago.
    I was ready after Torre left and Arod/Boras took the Steinbrenners to the cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    No question they won't do it so this is just my perspective as a Yankee fan and not a businessman that owns the Yankees.

NYYF Cy Young

So after leaving the game today a little bit up the Deegan I see a beautiful McLaren driving along. I end up getting next to it, and look inside and it's Cano. So of course we honk obnoxiously and wave. He was nice enough to actually acknowledge us, which I was surprised by.

Did you hit a lot of traffic leaving the game?
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Cy Young

Oh yeah. It always takes us just as long getting from the stadium to the GW as it does getting from GW to Pa.

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Oh yeah. It always takes us just as long getting from the stadium to the GW as it does getting from GW to Pa.
    I guess Robbie was late for dinner.
    Pardon, for us.

I went to Wednesday's Day Game and left during rush hour. We took Jerome Ave to 95 south. There was traffic, but it was moving. It was one of the quickest trips to the Bridge.
    Pardon, for us.

NYYF Cy Young

I always tell myself I'm going to take a different route back, but I never do... One of these days I actually will.

Thread Information