+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 352
  1. #201

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    when do we start to worry about gumbs and culver ?

  2. #202
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    I haven't heard much about Austin. Is there legit reason to be excited about what he's doing?

  3. #203

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I haven't heard much about Austin. Is there legit reason to be excited about what he's doing?
    Yes. He is a corner guy only but the bat is real.
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

  4. #204
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    http://www.abcnews4.com/story/175080...named-sal-potw
    CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Charleston RiverDogs outfielder/first baseman Tyler Austin received the first South Atlantic League Player of the Week Award on Monday.

    Austin received the award for the period of April 5-15 during which he hit .438/.471/1.031 in 8 games with a league most 10 extra base hits (4 doubles, 3 triples, 3 homers) and 9 RBIs. Through April 15, Austin led the South Atlantic League in batting average, slugging percentage and OPS and has a seven-game hit streak. Austin also has a streak of five straight games with at least one extra-base hit.

    Austin's early season exploits include a ninth inning three-run homer on Sunday that won the game against the Rome Braves. He also had a two-homerun game on April 12. His performance has helped propel the team to a 7-3 record so far this season, good for first place in the South Atlantic League Southern Division.

  5. #205
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I haven't heard much about Austin. Is there legit reason to be excited about what he's doing?
    His bat. Even though he is projected to be a 1B/RF/LF, people should be excited about his hitting. He has destroyed everything since day 1 of his professional career.

  6. #206
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jeter62375 View Post
    when do we start to worry about gumbs and culver ?
    Do people even have expectations for Culver that would justify any amount of worrying?
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  7. #207
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Do people even have expectations for Culver that would justify any amount of worrying?
    Someone will predictably point out how young he is and how much room he has for growth.

    You can't teach talent, though.

  8. #208

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I haven't heard much about Austin. Is there legit reason to be excited about what he's doing?
    Keither Law had Austin 5th on his Yankees prospects list. Above Campos. I remember reading over at NoMaas how excited they(Kevin I guess at the time) were to sign Austin and how he was a huge sleeper, thats how I started to follow him.

  9. #209

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Someone will predictably point out how young he is and how much room he has for growth.

    You can't teach talent, though.
    You better hope he has talent as that draft choice can't be changed now.

  10. #210

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jeter62375 View Post
    when do we start to worry about gumbs and culver ?
    I never really liked Culver but I'm still excited about Gumbs he's getting good scouting reports even though his hits aren't there.

  11. #211

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I haven't heard much about Austin. Is there legit reason to be excited about what he's doing?
    His bat is legit and he's one of these high school prospects that got overlooked because he came out of Georgia in 2010 with a strong draft class from that state. I think the Yankees got lucky with him and his athletic ability to transition from catcher, to corner infielder and now corner outfielder.

  12. #212

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    Yes. He is a corner guy only but the bat is real.
    A corner outfielder with a bat is a need for the system.

  13. #213
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hartford, CT

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    A corner outfielder with a bat is a need for the system.
    Austin's still being considered a 3B long term; he just hasn't seen alot of time there because of Bichette. Last reports I saw were that he was fielding the position well during the last part of last season. No reason to move him off until it's clear a corner OF spot is where he belongs.

  14. #214
    Faith is a funny thing.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    On the bus

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Sanchez
    4-5, 2 doubles

    Williams
    2-5

    Austin
    2-4, 3B, BB
    Speaking of beasting...Or is this the time to break out..."Beast Mode engaged"?


  15. #215
    Faith is a funny thing.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    On the bus

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    Austin's still being considered a 3B long term; he just hasn't seen alot of time there because of Bichette. Last reports I saw were that he was fielding the position well during the last part of last season. No reason to move him off until it's clear a corner OF spot is where he belongs.
    Agreed on value, etc. But if they are going to keep Bichette, Jr at 3B and plan to keep Austin, at some point they're going to have to settle him in the OF or someplace else he can play and where they have needs/openings.


  16. #216
    NYYF MVP

    NYCrusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    I think there were enough issues to where starting Sanchez over in Charleston was a fine move. His defense was atrocious and he was hindered by makeup questions. Not to mention he only really hit for half the season. Regardless, his stay should be short there this year irrespective of what Murphy is doing in Tampa. They can easily split time up there like Montero and Romine did a couple years back.
    I disagree his offensive production last year in Charleston to go along with his pedigree was good enough to start in high A Tampa.

    Other organizations challenge offensive talents like Sanchez even when they don't put up the numbers he is putting up and Sanchez actually puts them up and is repeating a level in the Yankee organization.

  17. #217

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jeter62375 View Post
    when do we start to worry about gumbs and culver ?
    Hopefully not after just 9 games

  18. #218

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    A corner outfielder with a bat is a need for the system.

    did i say it wasnt?
    "Williams could be the Yankees' next great homegrown center fielder. "-BA

  19. #219

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bmxstreetrider86 View Post
    did i say it wasnt?
    Did I say you said that?

  20. #220

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YESSIR! View Post
    Austin's still being considered a 3B long term; he just hasn't seen alot of time there because of Bichette. Last reports I saw were that he was fielding the position well during the last part of last season. No reason to move him off until it's clear a corner OF spot is where he belongs.
    Not based on the recent comments I read from Mark Newman.

  21. #221

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    austin was seen recently operating 3b rather recklessly so given his advanced bat trying to make 3b work is going to delay his schedule
    always reasonable

  22. #222
    Trade Bait Mr.Muhozi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    City Of London

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Through 6.

    Williams - 0-2 1R HBP scored
    Bichette - 0-3
    Austin - 1-2 BB
    Sanchez - 0-3
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

  23. #223

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Abe Almonte
    3-3, 2B, HR, 2BB, 2SB

    Marshall
    6IP 4H 2R 2ER 1BB 3K

  24. #224

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Murphy 3-4
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

  25. #225

    Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

    Same that Cotham has lost so much time with injuries. He's already 24. A little old for the SAL. Once he gets stretched out, wonder if they'll push him to Tampa

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts