+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

April 2012 Minor League Thread

Opening Day for all the teams is on the 5th

Josh Norris@jnorris427 I really hope it comes through on the video, but Jose Ramirez looked just amazing today. Made some good hitters look bad.

I asked him if it was in short stints & he said it was over 5 innings. Also said that Campos was topping out at 93 today.

Josh Norris ‏ @jnorris427
    Both Ramirez vs. Sanchez at-bats were excellent. First one, Sanchez rifled a double down the third-base line like it was was nothing.

Second AB, Ramirez blows smoke by him twice, the second 96 at the letters, then makes him look silly on change-up down in the zone. Dirty.

Mentioned to a Yankees official how much I liked Gumbs' swing, especially its speed and flat path. His response: "It's Sheffield-like."

Re: April 2012 Minor League Thread

Yankees signed RHP Jason Bulger to a minor league contract.

Bulger was cut loose by the Twins last week after allowing 10 earned runs in four innings this spring. He'll provide depth at Triple-A.

Apr 1 - 2:43 PM

Makes you wonder if one of Warren/Phelps/Mitchell will make the team as a temporary long reliever.

Ben Badler@BenBadler Outside of his (enormous) family, I'm probably his biggest fan. Frontline potential RT @jaredgoebel thoughts on jose campos?

Also very impressive was this kid Andury Acevedo, a converted SS they signed after Pittsburgh released him. He was throwing 95 with a filthy slider. Josh norris posted some video of him too at the Trenton webiste

NYYF MVP

Peter Gammons ‏ @pgammo
    NL scout:"Before you pass judgement on Pineda, Jose Campos was the best young pitcher I saw all winter--easy 100

Richmond Virginians

Ben Badler on DePaula

His talent is legitimate. The fastball really is touching the high 90s, power curve, good body, good mechanics, he's just had an extremely atypical developmental path because of the suspension and visa issue. I don't stick my neck out much on the international amateur guys, but we did with Carlos Martinez at No. 3 for the Cardinals and Miguel Sano at No. 3 for the Twins in the 2011 Prospect Handbook, and I think DePaula is that type of player. I don't like running up the 16-year-old signings much because there's still so much projection involved, but DePaula is 21 and has now stuff.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    Ben Badler on DePaula

His talent is legitimate. The fastball really is touching the high 90s, power curve, good body, good mechanics, he's just had an extremely atypical developmental path because of the suspension and visa issue. I don't stick my neck out much on the international amateur guys, but we did with Carlos Martinez at No. 3 for the Cardinals and Miguel Sano at No. 3 for the Twins in the 2011 Prospect Handbook, and I think DePaula is that type of player. I don't like running up the 16-year-old signings much because there's still so much projection involved, but DePaula is 21 and has now stuff.
    He and Campos could be really nice additions for guys who weren't really in the system as of January 1
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Richmond Virginians

Outfielders DeAngelo Mack and Austin Krum were released. i had soem hope for Krum.

Jim Callis@jimcallisBA #Yankees OF Mason Williams @norbertopaulino: Your breakout candidate from the lower minors that will make a big jump this year?

Am I just looking at these guys with my pinstripe glasses as I don't see all four of them being nothing more than relief pitchers? I agree with Mitchell and maybe another of them being so, if somebody like Betances can't get his delivery to repeat itself for 7-8 innings, but not all four of them. Having a reliable #4 or #5 starter is valuable too for major league teams as I think Warren and Phelps can fill that role.

Jim Callis@jimcallisBA

I see all 3 as RP, Betances too. @SchindlerJesse: Most likely to have a career as a reliever; D.J Mitchell, D.Phelps, or A.Warren? #Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Am I just looking at these guys with my pinstripe glasses as I don't see all four of them being nothing more than relief pitchers? I agree with Mitchell and maybe another of them being so, if somebody like Betances can't get his delivery to repeat itself for 7-8 innings, but not all four of them. Having a reliable #4 or #5 starter is valuable too for major league teams as I think Warren and Phelps can fill that role.
    i really have no faith in Betances as a starter. the others will wind up in the bullpen, or some NL team as a starter

Expecting a big comeback year out of Jose Ramirez so it was great to hear how well he threw the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    i really have no faith in Betances as a starter. the others will wind up in the bullpen, or some NL team as a starter
    Phelps has shown some nice stuff this ST, but I agree he probably will never be a starter for the Yankees and will likely be trade bait at some point this season.

Richmond Virginians

Jorge Vazquez was released.

How likely is it that Montgomery gets a taste of the bigs this year? Pairing him with DRob sounds fancy.

Ben Badler@BenBadler Best prospect is Banuelos, but Campos has more upside RT @JCinMD who's better now and who has higher ceiling--Campos or DePaula? OR Banuelos

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dpbddd99 View Post
    Jorge Vazquez was released.
    Maybe now he will latch on to an team that will finally give him a shot in the majors, in spite of his poor spring.

Is that last pitch a changeup? Because, damnnn.

Holy sh*t....that was dirty. Sure looked like a change.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    Just a hunch (and perhaps wishful thinking on my part) but I think this is the year Betances pulls it all together.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Just a hunch (and perhaps wishful thinking on my part) but I think this is the year Betances pulls it all together.
    I'd bet the opposite. This is the year he drops off the prospect radar.

Bryan Hoch@BryanHoch Yankees trade George Kontos to Giants for catcher Chris Stewart. Cervelli sent to Triple-A.

Didn't see this coming....not that it's some big news worthy deal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Bryan Hoch@BryanHoch Yankees trade George Kontos to Giants for catcher Chris Stewart. Cervelli sent to Triple-A.

Didn't see this coming....not that it's some big news worthy deal.
    Interesting. I was actually hoping to see Kontos get a shot in the bullpen but I figured it was a longshot.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information