+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Mel_From_Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia

    New long distance member!

    Hello Everyone!

    Just joined up here to see what baseball is all about in America. I am from Australia and I am going to my first ever MBL game, obviously I have chosen to support the New York Yankees and will be going to see them play June 18th in New York. I can't wait! I am SO EXCITED!

    I used to go watch the top league games here in Australia when the used to have them. I loved going to the baseball, but going to see a game in America is on a whole different scale!

    I'm wondering if people can give me tips on what to expect, what are the things I should definitely do at a baseball game ... just tell me everything there is to know. I'm very excited like I said, but also a touch nervous as I am going by myself!

    So, thanks for letting me join here ... I look forward to reading through the threads and getting to know what it's all about.

    Cheers.

    Mel.

  2. #2
    Addicted Member
    b0mber's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Section 203

    Re: New long distance member!

    Welcome aboard to to the greatest fan forum of the most successful franchise in sports history! You are lucky that your first MLB game is going to be a yankees game, they are second to none. Yankee fans are the most dedicated, loyal, and passionate fans in the world. (i know this because i am guilty of all of the above myself!) My only tips for the game are make sure you root for the yankees because obviously cheering for other teams in the bronx is frowned upon. Try to take some time out or get to the park early, since it is your first time at the stadium so you can walk around and check out the beauty of everything (make sure you hit the musuem located inside, there are some awesome pieces of yankees history). Most importantly enjoy yourself! I feel as though there is nothing better then kicking back at the stadium watchin' our beloved yanks in the company of the most passionate fans in the world. After the game take a walk down river ave. to some of the bars, after a big win they are definitely a fun time (check out stan's, billy's, the dugout.) Again welcome to the site, i too am fairly new but there are some great and very knowledgable people on here, GO YANKS!
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

    Operation 28

  3. #3
    Win or else BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: New long distance member!

    G'Day Mel.

    Where in Australia are you from?
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

  4. #4
    Member
    Mel_From_Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia

    Re: New long distance member!

    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    G'Day Mel.

    Where in Australia are you from?

    Hi BroadwayBomber55,

    I am from Adelaide in South Australia.

  5. #5
    Member
    Mel_From_Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia

    Re: New long distance member!

    Quote Originally Posted by b0mber View Post
    Welcome aboard to to the greatest fan forum of the most successful franchise in sports history! You are lucky that your first MLB game is going to be a yankees game, they are second to none. Yankee fans are the most dedicated, loyal, and passionate fans in the world. (i know this because i am guilty of all of the above myself!) My only tips for the game are make sure you root for the yankees because obviously cheering for other teams in the bronx is frowned upon. Try to take some time out or get to the park early, since it is your first time at the stadium so you can walk around and check out the beauty of everything (make sure you hit the musuem located inside, there are some awesome pieces of yankees history). Most importantly enjoy yourself! I feel as though there is nothing better then kicking back at the stadium watchin' our beloved yanks in the company of the most passionate fans in the world. After the game take a walk down river ave. to some of the bars, after a big win they are definitely a fun time (check out stan's, billy's, the dugout.) Again welcome to the site, i too am fairly new but there are some great and very knowledgable people on here, GO YANKS!
    haha. Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it! I will no doubt be going for the Yankees! I plan on getting a t-shirt and a cap to wear to the game! I can not wait! I would love to visit some of the bars afterwards, but as I am by myself would be a bit apprehensive in doing so ... we'll see how I go! Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Win or else BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: New long distance member!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_From_Oz View Post
    Hi BroadwayBomber55,

    I am from Adelaide in South Australia.
    Adelaide.

    Just curious, do you also follow rugby, cricket and Aussie Rules Footy?
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

  7. #7
    Win or else BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: New long distance member!

    BTW Mel, in terms of Yankee fans from Down Under, we also have one from Perth, Western Australia, some from Melbourne, Victoria and some from Sydney, New South Wales.

    We also need some Yankee fans from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Northern Territory, Queensland and Tasmania.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

  8. #8
    Member
    Mel_From_Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia

    Re: New long distance member!

    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Adelaide.

    Just curious, do you also follow rugby, cricket and Aussie Rules Footy?

    Rugby - I only follow when world cup is on. Go AUSTRALIA! Otherwise in my state, it's not real big. Other states in Australia it is, just not mine. We do have the Rugby 7's comp held here in my city though. lol. Go figure.

    Cricket - I follow. I of course am an Aussie cricket fan, and Redbacks, which is the South Australian team.

    Aussie Rules Football aka AFL - I follow religiously! Love it! I am a devoted Port Adelaide Power supporter! As well as SANFL which is the South Australian National Football league where I follow Port Adelaide Magpies.

    We used to have baseball here, back when I was young it was quite big. I was an Adelaide Giants fan. I got to as many games as I could, but I grew up in the outback country so I was a fair distance away from the big cities where it was played. I got in to baseball as I used to play state softball when I was younger. I would travel my state playing against other teams across my state. Again, being from the outback, we didn't get much televised MBL games, but when we did, I was sure to watch it. So, I am very excited to actually go and see my first MBL live! It's going to be HUGE!


    P.S I was born in the Northern Territory... so I am not sure if that covers as a member from both NT and SA! lol! ;-)

  9. #9
    Win or else BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: New long distance member!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_From_Oz View Post
    Rugby - I only follow when world cup is on. Go AUSTRALIA! Otherwise in my state, it's not real big. Other states in Australia it is, just not mine. We do have the Rugby 7's comp held here in my city though. lol. Go figure.

    Cricket - I follow. I of course am an Aussie cricket fan, and Redbacks, which is the South Australian team.

    Aussie Rules Football aka AFL - I follow religiously! Love it! I am a devoted Port Adelaide Power supporter! As well as SANFL which is the South Australian National Football league where I follow Port Adelaide Magpies.

    We used to have baseball here, back when I was young it was quite big. I was an Adelaide Giants fan. I got to as many games as I could, but I grew up in the outback country so I was a fair distance away from the big cities where it was played. I got in to baseball as I used to play state softball when I was younger. I would travel my state playing against other teams across my state. Again, being from the outback, we didn't get much televised MBL games, but when we did, I was sure to watch it. So, I am very excited to actually go and see my first MBL live! It's going to be HUGE!


    P.S I was born in the Northern Territory... so I am not sure if that covers as a member from both NT and SA! lol! ;-)
    Port Adelaide Power. I liked their squad when they were competing for the AFL Premiership Cup between 2002-2004 including winning it all in 2004 over the Brisbane Lions when they were going for their fourth straight AFL crown with the likes of Matthew Primus, Warren Tredrea, the Burgoyne brothers (Peter and Shaun), the Cornes brothers (Chad and Kane), Gavin Wanganeen, Josh Carr, Stuart Dew, Byron Pickett and Adam Kingsley.

    I also enjoyed Mark Williams saying to Allan Scott 'You're wrong' when Scott said that Port Adelaide won't win a AFL Premiership with 'Choco' in charge. Even 'Choco' led them to Port's second AFL Grand Final in 2007, but Geelong was way too strong for them.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

  10. #10
    Member
    Mel_From_Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia

    Re: New long distance member!

    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Port Adelaide Power. I liked their squad when they were competing for the AFL Premiership Cup between 2002-2004 including winning it all in 2004 over the Brisbane Lions when they were going for their fourth straight AFL crown with the likes of Matthew Primus, Warren Tredrea, the Burgoyne brothers (Peter and Shaun), the Cornes brothers (Chad and Kane), Gavin Wanganeen, Josh Carr, Stuart Dew, Byron Pickett and Adam Kingsley.

    I also enjoyed Mark Williams saying to Allan Scott 'You're wrong' when Scott said that Port Adelaide won't win a AFL Premiership with 'Choco' in charge. Even 'Choco' led them to Port's second AFL Grand Final in 2007, but Geelong was way too strong for them.
    Wow! I'm impressed. Did you google that? lol! Or did you actually know that! haha! Ugh, I like to forget about that year where we got smashed by 119 points! First round of official AFL kicked off last weekend where we won our first round game, and after a very poor season last season (second to bottom of the ladder) we celebrated our first round win like it was a grand final! hahaha! Choco is no longer our coach after mid last season and now Matt Primus is the coach.

    Here's to hoping for a premiership flag this season! :-)

  11. #11
    Win or else BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: New long distance member!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_From_Oz View Post
    Wow! I'm impressed. Did you google that? lol! Or did you actually know that! haha! Ugh, I like to forget about that year where we got smashed by 119 points! First round of official AFL kicked off last weekend where we won our first round game, and after a very poor season last season (second to bottom of the ladder) we celebrated our first round win like it was a grand final! hahaha! Choco is no longer our coach after mid last season and now Matt Primus is the coach.

    Here's to hoping for a premiership flag this season! :-)
    Well, I watched Aussie Rules shows when I was a kid. I also watch some Aussie Rules Footy on ESPN3.com

    Hey, you should join our tipping competition via PM with me and a North Melbourne Kangaroo fan from Melbourne named Tabata and a St. Kilda supporter from Western Australia named ShadowDan.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

  12. #12
    Member
    Mel_From_Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia

    Re: New long distance member!

    I've replied in PM.


    2 months to go until I see my first ever Yankee game! So excited!

  13. #13
    NYYF Legend

    GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New York City

    Re: New long distance member!

    Does your last name start with a G, and end with an ibson?

  14. #14
    Member
    Mel_From_Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia

    Re: New long distance member!

    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Does your last name start with a G, and end with an ibson?

    lol. That is a possibility, but I don't like your chances! I will still give you an autograph if that is what you were after?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts