+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21
    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    i don't think they're alone though. Prior to him going Knoblauch-style, Nunez was asked for in numerous deals that (unfortunately) never materialized. I think that there is some optimism beyond Yankee land about his bat - assuming he can field at SS.
    Well, yes. If his bat Improves, he can be a valuable player, if he learns to field. And if I had ham I could have ham and eggs, if I had eggs.

Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Well, yes. If his bat Improves, he can be a valuable player, if he learns to field. And if I had ham I could have ham and eggs, if I had eggs.
    Right, and if my aunt had balls...

I get it. I'm not his agent or anything, and I'm not saying he's going to evolve into some beast of a player. It's really only his fielding that needs to improve significantly. His hitting/baserunning abilities seem to me to be acceptable if he's manning shortstop. Perhaps not to the standards we as fans have been blessed with since '96, but middle of the pack type of offense shouldn't be considered wildly unreasonable. And yeah, it could improve with more PAs at this level against both RHP and LHP.

If he overcomes this inability to catch/throw on routine plays, he's a big league player.

NYYF MVP

i don't think they're alone though. Prior to him going Knoblauch-style, Nunez was asked for in numerous deals that (unfortunately) never materialized. I think that there is some optimism beyond Yankee land about his bat - assuming he can field at SS.
    And that was a few years ago when he still had some prospect shine to him. Now he's a 25 year old that hasn't shown he can field or hit RHP.

Not exactly a hot product on the trade market.

Quote Originally Posted by Chacon View Post
    We tear down our stars and pump up the likes of Eduardo Nunez

NYYFans as its best
    it makes "sense" though.

Nunez is homegrown (unlike A-Rod) and gritty because he's fast (unlike Cano). he doesn't even make a lot of money yet (unike Jeter, when it was his turn a couple years ago) and, while overhyped some, he's never had true top tier prospect hype to live up to (unlike Hughes and Joba).

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    it's lost on me. a little help?
    sjb23

I confessed to SSS in my post. 100 PA. Was just pointing out that the .350 OBP wasn't as outlandish as folks were implying given his results this year. SSS and splits are fine counters to that POV, but still I'd say its not crazy to think his game can continue to improve. Not all players stop developing in the minors. Like I said, I'm not overly optimistic but I just don't get the extreme pessimism as it relates to his offense specifically. Defense is another matter.

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. But he has (SSS ALERT) done very well with RISP, man on 3rd with less than 2 out, late and close, etc. he has 4 sac flies in limited time. He puts the ball in play. A lot of the things that better hitters on this team get criticized for not doing.
    Btw, one of things about a small sample is that seemingly small changes can have an exaggerated statistical effect. Changing two out to hits over the course of 100 PA is actually kind of big.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Btw, one of things about a small sample is that seemingly small changes can have an exaggerated statistical effect. Changing two out to hits over the course of 100 PA is actually kind of big.
    I understand that. It's taking 2% of the outcomes and converting them from negative to positive. When you're talking about this hypothetical target of 35% OBP, it's not a trivial adjustment... but IMHO also not so egregious that it goes off track in calling into question the absolute certainty with which some have recently proclaimed that Nunez could never OBP ~.350.

It may not be likely, he might never get the opportunity let alone acheive a mark like that... but it's not like the forumer who made that statement is off his rocker for making it.

i dunno. is his walk rate improving? if not then no.

the changing hits argument is kind of cute, but it's like saying if his babip was higher by a few points. that's like...saying if he was lucky for a couple hits.
    always reasonable

Thread Information