+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 507
  1. #51
    NYYF Legend

    Eldee5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South Carolina (Originally NJ)

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread


  2. #52

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    For me, he should omly play at shortstop because when you need to rest Alex, you do it against a righty starter so you can play Chavez at the hot corner. That way, both Alex and Derek get rest but you aren't relying on Nunez too much. Plus, Chavez D is still very smooth.
    This makes sense, and I agree. But it only makes sense if you don't start with the assumption that maximizing playing time for Nunez is some kind of organizational mission.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  3. #53

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Sorry Eduardo. You need to be able to at least hit or field baseballs.

  4. #54

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    everyone has to have a dream.

  5. #55
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Myers

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    He can hit, run and steal bases.
    (SSS) so far, 3 out of 6, 2 rbi, 1 sb, 1.000 OPS.

    Being a bit imaginary, I believe if Mr. Nunnie can get he defensive struggles in order, he can never be the defensive player that Cano is but he could improve enough (to the point of not holding my breath everytime the ball is hit to him) to get more time in the line-up and let his bat do the talking.
    He could have Cano type numbers on the offensive side of the ball.
    He 's quick and seems to have great range and does make very good plays on some really tough ground balls.
    Last year's batting stats were fairly darn good for a rookie playing limited time at multiple defensive posistions.

  6. #56
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    a long way from yankee stadium.

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    He can hit, run and steal bases.
    (SSS) so far, 3 out of 6, 2 rbi, 1 sb, 1.000 OPS.

    Being a bit imaginary, I believe if Mr. Nunnie can get he defensive struggles in order, he can never be the defensive player that Cano is but he could improve enough (to the point of not holding my breath everytime the ball is hit to him) to get more time in the line-up and let his bat do the talking.
    He could have Cano type numbers on the offensive side of the ball.
    He 's quick and seems to have great range and does make very good plays on some really tough ground balls.
    Last year's batting stats were fairly darn good for a rookie playing limited time at multiple defensive posistions.
    Sorry, but have to disagree. There is no way Nunez has the same hitting potential as Cano. He simply doesn't have the bat control or pitch selection abilities. And if he ever got himself under control in the field, it wouldn't surprise me if his fielding skills became better than Robinson's. All that said, I don't expect him to ever hold a candle to our second baseman, who is now one of the very best players in the game across the board.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  7. #57

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Everyone is so down on Nunez....if you actually watch him play, you'll notice some things.

    1. Great Contact skills

    2. Above Average pop for a middle infielder

    3. Fast and can steal bases

    4. horrendous defense that is mostly attributed (in my opinion) to lack on concentration. When he played everyday, we saw less boneheaded plays in the field.

  8. #58
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan811 View Post
    Everyone is so down on Nunez....if you actually watch him play, you'll notice some things.

    1. Great Contact skills

    2. Above Average pop for a middle infielder

    3. Fast and can steal bases

    4. horrendous defense that is mostly attributed (in my opinion) to lack on concentration. When he played everyday, we saw less boneheaded plays in the field.
    This gets blown out of proportion, IMO. He tends to make errors in really bad situations, that make it worse. Reminiscent of Cano early in his career really.

    Can't overlook the errors, but outside of that, he does have above average range and a cannon arm.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  9. #59

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan811 View Post
    Everyone is so down on Nunez....if you actually watch him play, you'll notice some things.

    1. Great Contact skills

    2. Above Average pop for a middle infielder

    3. Fast and can steal bases

    4. horrendous defense that is mostly attributed (in my opinion) to lack on concentration. When he played everyday, we saw less boneheaded plays in the field.
    1. He does put the bat on ball a lot, but his violent swing leads to an awful amount of popups. Hopefully he works with Kevin Long

    2. I wouldn't say that. His ISO from AA to now hovers around .100. His minor league OPS is .687.

    3. He's pretty fast, yes.

    4. He has a good arm if he can ever harness it. I don't think his range is all that impressive.

  10. #60
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    It's funny how little there is in common with how people used to perceive Cano, and how hard he works.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  11. #61
    NYYF MVP

    NoodleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    I like this kid a lot, yes he makes errors but there were plenty of stars both in the past and now that made more then their share of mistakes. He plays hard, he has the tools, he's really fast and has a very strong arm.

    I agree that most errors usually hurt, but he's good and he'll come around. If we recall he played very well defensively when he played at one position, for more then a day.

  12. #62
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    It's funny how little there is in common with how people used to perceive Cano, and how hard he works.
    There's also a perception that Cano started to straighten up a little bit after Melky was traded.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  13. #63

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    There's also a perception that Cano started to straighten up a little bit after Melky was traded.
    I'm sure everyone remembers the Larry Bowa saga.

  14. #64
    NYYF Legend

    CalYankeeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Palmdale, CA

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Bowa tells the following anecdote to illustrate Cano's sensitive nature: Bowa was waving Cano home on a hit during a game last year, but Cano stopped at third. When Bowa questioned him, Cano replied that the outfielder has a strong arm and Bowa got angry.

    "I said, 'That's for me to judge,'" Bowa recalls. "Let me coach third." The two didn't speak for a week and Cano plunged into a funk at the plate. First-base coach Tony Peña implored Bowa to talk to Cano; the two made up and hugged and Cano's play improved, Bowa says.

    "He is a sensitive kid, but you have to be honest with him," Bowa says. "I have a great relationship with him, but I had to get in his face. I got on him, I rode him pretty good. Sometimes he doesn't like what you have to say, but he appreciates the honesty."

    Back on topic....Hopefully Cano gives Nunez a "Listen to the coaches" speech.
    If they ask who was our star, give them 25 names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

  15. #65
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Not that I'm crazy about the idea but with Gardner on the DL and the Yanks calling up a pitcher to take his spot does this mean we are likely to see Nunez in the outfield a few games?
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  16. #66
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Now in Section 312

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Not that I'm crazy about the idea but with Gardner on the DL and the Yanks calling up a pitcher to take his spot does this mean we are likely to see Nunez in the outfield a few games?
    It's either that or Andrew Jones everyday.
    But honestly, Nunez can't be a worse defender than Ibanez.
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

  17. #67

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Not that I'm crazy about the idea but with Gardner on the DL and the Yanks calling up a pitcher to take his spot does this mean we are likely to see Nunez in the outfield a few games?

    Yes sir, Nunez will be in the OF for a few games.

  18. #68
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Not that I'm crazy about the idea but with Gardner on the DL and the Yanks calling up a pitcher to take his spot does this mean we are likely to see Nunez in the outfield a few games?
    I think you mentioned in the Eppley thread that they might have just called him up for tonight to eat some innings if Hughes struggles. I think this is likely the case, and I could see them sending him down after the game in favor of Wise or Curtis. Lord help us if we see Nunez in the outfield for any extended period of time. Frankly I'm not all that thrilled about the prospect of seeing Jones or Ibanez in the outfield.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  19. #69
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I think you mentioned in the Eppley thread that they might have just called him up for tonight to eat some innings if Hughes struggles. I think this is likely the case, and I could see them sending him down after the game in favor of Wise or Curtis. Lord help us if we see Nunez in the outfield for any extended period of time. Frankly I'm not all that thrilled about the prospect of seeing Jones or Ibanez in the outfield.
    Yeah I could see that. At least they are in fenway so they can "hide" an out fielder in left over the weekend. After that, I think I'd prefer a real OF out there. Though Jones isn't awful on the corner.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  20. #70

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Dude...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'." - Yogi Berra

  21. #71

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CalYankeeFan View Post
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz1sFGVv4NB[/COLOR][/LEFT]

    Back on topic....Hopefully Cano gives Nunez a "Listen to the coaches" speech.
    As annoying as the rhetoric got when Cano struggled after Bowa left, it seems Bowa's approach rubbed off on Robbie in a good way.

    Good for both of them.

  22. #72
    NYYF Legend

    JfromJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    How does Joe have the balls to keep playing Nunez in the infield?
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

    It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

  23. #73
    Off To Never Never Land Mr.Muhozi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    City Of London

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    Eduardo Scissorhands.

    Credit to YESSIR! and that dude from RAB he stole it off.
    40 pitchers, ever, have an ERA+ of 130 or higher for their career. 15 have 140 or higher. 3 guys have 150 or higher - one is right at 150, the second place guy is at 154, and Mariano Rivera is at 205.

  24. #74

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    I take back every nice thing I said about this guy.

  25. #75
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    West Nyack New York

    Re: 2012 Eduardo Nunez Performance Thread

    i just dont see it...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts